Zion Cruz

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Zion Cruz

Postby ZMagic30 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:13 pm

He’s not coming here
ZMagic30

Postby Durango Jay » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Announcing at 3pm ET on Sunday.

https://www.tarheeltimes.com/article126899.aspx
Durango Jay

Postby CPJays » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Not announcing today now.

CPJays

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am

Most of Bluejay nation was unaware that Creighton was in the running to land Zion Cruz, but apparently the rumblings were out there. A Syracuse's basketball blogger wrote this article entitled "Can Creighton Steal 5-Star Recruit Zion Cruz Too?" back in May:

https://orangefizz.net/2021/05/can-creighton-steal-5-star-zion-cruz-too/

Still feels like a huge longshot, but based on the confusion being expressed by Auburn and UNC fans, in combination with it being a surprise to most that the Jays made the Top 3, gives me a flicker of hope. Plus, I saw a few of the "crystal balls" to Auburn were pulled. It's an odd recruitment for sure.

His tape is solid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlW86fTFoYU
vivid_dude

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:20 am

vivid_dude wrote:Most of Bluejay nation was unaware that Creighton was in the running to land Zion Cruz, but apparently the rumblings were out there. A Syracuse's basketball blogger wrote this article entitled "Can Creighton Steal 5-Star Recruit Zion Cruz Too?" back in May:

Still feels like a huge longshot, but based on the confusion being expressed by Auburn and UNC fans, in combination with it being a surprise to most that the Jays made the Top 3, gives me a flicker of hope. Plus, I saw a few of the "crystal balls" to Auburn were pulled. It's an odd recruitment for sure.

Where'd they shoot that video, at St. Bernard's? :D
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Alphawalt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 am

vivid_dude wrote:Most of Bluejay nation was unaware that Creighton was in the running to land Zion Cruz, but apparently the rumblings were out there. A Syracuse's basketball blogger wrote this article entitled "Can Creighton Steal 5-Star Recruit Zion Cruz Too?" back in May:

The info on Zion from all the various ratings lists are wildly different: 1) he is rated as high as #6 on one list and as low as #56 (espn), most are in the high teens, 20’s ratings; 2) his height is listed as 6’1”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’4” and 6’5”; 3) his weight listed from low of 145 to high of 185. Goes to show how you can’t rely on these services to give you accurate info, and the unreliable nature of the internet in general. You would think for a 4-5 star recruit the info would be in the same ballpark. I am almost surprised they got the school he was playing at last year accurate.
Alphawalt

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:51 am

Alphawalt wrote:
The info on Zion from all the various ratings lists are wildly different: 1) he is rated as high as #6 on one list and as low as #56 (espn), most are in the high teens, 20’s ratings; 2) his height is listed as 6’1”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’4” and 6’5”; 3) his weight listed from low of 145 to high of 185. Goes to show how you can’t rely on these services to give you accurate info, and the unreliable nature of the internet in general. You would think for a 4-5 star recruit the info would be in the same ballpark. I am almost surprised they got the school he was playing at last year accurate.

I really hope Zion doesn't play for Bishop Sycamore HS.
vivid_dude

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:08 pm

Cruz is one of my favs... He is a solid player.

Many, including me, thought he had cooled on the Jays and vice-versa. Most thought we
had/have little to no (any) chance to land a guy like this: Top 25, 30+ offers, East Coast w Southern ties.

The good thing is that recruiting-wise Auburn has taken a few missteps... Don't have a clue
what Bruce Pearl is selling down there, but there have been some hiccups. Trey Alexander
backed out, now Cruz?

No visits to CU or UNC and an AU visit back in early June. Missed his 19 June commitment date, now
has missed this 3 Sep date as well (supposedly due to a relative unable to be at the announcement site).

Since we appear to be striking out with regularity on our BIG (PF/Ctr) Recruits, I'll take a surprise commit.
I can live with a '22 class of Shtolzberg, Kimani Hamilton, and Cruz.

Some folks (BJ Banter) seem to think that IF Cruz selects Creighton, that the Jays will "Pass" on him and continue
looking for 2 Bigs. ?? Current Creighton recruiting is very good and has leaped up from historically getting 2-3 star
recruits (pre-2006) to a steady diet of 4-star recruits. Excellent. However, we are not UK, UNC, Duke, or Villanova
where we can turndown commits by 5-star recruits.

We've taken multiple players/same position previously: Mitch & Ty-Shon in 2017, with Epperson. Miller/Kaluma &
Christofilis/Alexander in 2021.

This is a pleasant surprise and a good place to be in. Good article from S'cuse also. Like the respect shown by the writer.

Same writer/source: Sep 3, 2021 Articcle. https://orangefizz.net/2021/09/zion-cru ... ing-weird/
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Alphawalt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:41 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Cruz is one of my favs... He is a solid player.

Many, including me, thought he had cooled on the Jays and vice-versa. Most thought we
had/have little to no (any) chance to land a guy like this: Top 25, 30+ offers, East Coast w Southern ties.

The good thing is that recruiting-wise Auburn has taken a few missteps... Don't have a clue
what Bruce Pearl is selling down there, but there have been some hiccups. Trey Alexander
backed out, now Cruz?

No visits to CU or UNC and an AU visit back in early June. Missed his 19 June commitment date, now
has missed this 3 Sep date as well (supposedly due to a relative unable to be at the announcement site).

Since we appear to be striking out with regularity on our BIG (PF/Ctr) Recruits, I'll take a surprise commit.
I can live with a '22 class of Schtolzberg, Kimani Hamilton, and Cruz.

Some folks (BJ Banter) seem to think that IF Cruz selects Creighton, that the Jays will "Pass" on him and continue
looking for 2 Bigs. ?? Current Creighton recruiting is very good and has leaped up from historically getting 2-3 star
recruits (pre-2006) to a steady diet of 4-star recruits. Excellent. However, we are not UK, UNC, Duke, or Villanova
where we can turndown commits by 5-star recruits.

We've taken multiple players/same position previously: Mitch & Ty-Shon in 2017, with Epperson. Miller/Kaluma &
Christofilis/Alexander in 2021.

This is a pleasant surprise and a good place to be in. Good article from S'cuse also. Like the respect shown by the writer.

Same writer/source: Sep 3, 2021 Articcle. https://orangefizz.net/2021/09/zion-cru ... ing-weird/

Well, all I can say is whoever on BJ banter thinks we should take a pass on Cruz simply don’t know much about basketball or how talented Zion is and must have never him play, or any video of his play. Zion is a complete player, would probably be the most dynamic scorer on our team from day one, and simply put, would be one of the best defenders in college BB. He is a one and done talent. For us to turn him down is simply idiotic. I am salivating at the prospect of a high powered 3-4 guard offense with him in the lineup.
Alphawalt

Postby LJay » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:21 pm

CU has been out of the picture on Cruz for months yet some continued to slather over him. Time to move along, nothing to see here.

89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting