2019 G Francisco Farabello (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2019 G Francisco Farabello (Transfer Commit)

Postby jon4thejays » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:41 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Wow...what a discussion.

I'm not in favor of losing another player to transfer.
Just start either Miller or Green at the 3. Both give us the size and
potential scoring we need. With the expected bump up by our starters,
we don't necessarily need a 12-15 ppg guy at the 3.

Miller and Green are both freshman, therefore untested and highly unpredictable. I have hope that Miller can be that guy, but correct me if I am wrong Green spent most of this year at the 5? His biggest assets are defending and versatility. I don’t see Green as an option on the wing at all, I predict him as the back up 4 or a redshirt.
jon4thejays

Postby jaysfan3 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:58 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
NateFunkyTown wrote:I’ll trust you guys on Ben as I’ve got no inside info whatsoever.

Does anybody?

You can argue that Ben Shtolzberg and Jasen Green are the biggest unknowns going into this season, by fans, pundits and even the coaches. We've seen them play in HS and they are really good. Will that transfer to college? Until Ben and Jasen are on campus, practicing, learning the offense, competing against college players, grasping the system - even the coaches don't really know if the fit is there. Sometimes the transition from high school is seamless; sometimes it takes a few years; sometimes it never happens.

With Mason Miller, John Christofilis and FF, the coaches have a decent sense as to what they will be able to do. Not fully there, because players can evolve quickly and you don't know how they'll respond to the spotlight and pressure of playing basketball for a Top 10 team - but a way better sense than Ben/Jasen.

All this talk about depth charts, minute apportionment, rotations, etc. are fun, and I love to engage in it as much as anyone. But it's also very premature. Even the coaches don't know until the new guys are here. Ben and/or Jasen could come in and force the coaches' hands by playing so well, they bump others down the rotation. Maybe Ben starts and becomes that 30 minute-per-game, scoring wing we need? Or maybe he redshirts and never sees a minute on the court b/c he transfers out next offseason. The spectrum is that wide and speculative until they arrive on campus.

That makes it fun.

I agree with what you are saying, but I’ve heard that the coaches are extremely high on Ben and it sounds like they believe he is going to make an impact.
jaysfan3

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:10 pm

Evolution of a fan's thinking on players in the transfer portal...

"Rumor: Francisco Farabello could be coming to Creighton"

Fan: "His stats aren't that impressive. Why didn't he play more for an average TCU team? Do we need a 6'3" guy? Not sure this is the missing piece. There better be other moves if this happens."

"News: It's official, Francisco Farabello commits to Creighton!"

Same fan: "Boom!! This is the type of player we need. His tape is growing on me. Crazy range will completely open things up for the rest of the team. Manu Ginobili was always my favorite NBA player. Where do I purchase Final Four tickets? Los Arrendajos Azul de Creighton son campeones de baloncesto universitarios!"
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:24 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
BlueOrBust wrote:The computers love his efficiency even if he was under used at TCU. Should be a great 6/7th man especially if the Freshman don't take a step forward from beyond the arc.

Agree. I think he looks like a really nice fit - we weren't looking for a guy who wanted to be a guaranteed starter. His usage should go up with us (we share the ball really well) and we can definitely use a solid 3 PT shooter, but to me he looks like he brings more than that as well.

I don't think this is true. If they can get a guy who's good enough to slot into the starting lineup and replace what AO gave the team, they'd absolutely take him. I think that was priority 1A to back-up center's 1B. Right now they have four guys who seem like locks to start with a hole on the wing. They have guys who could fill that spot, but you'd probably be starting either smaller or bigger than would be ideal. I think they definitely have something to sell a sharp-shooting wing with versatility.

I don't have any insight here specifically, but it seems like this could foreshadow other moves. Not sure with the current roster construction that it makes all that much sense to add another smaller combo-guard with one of your two open scholarships while saving the other for a big. Adding shooting? Sure, makes sense. Adding shooting from a 6'3" guard who has been a low-volume guy throughout his career when you already have R2 (6'), Trey (6'4"), Reef (6'), Rati (6'4"), Christofilis (6'3") and Shtolzberg (6'5")? Not as much to me.

Pretty much what I've said. This one puzzles me a bit. We have lots of 1s and 2s now. And if Schtolzberg is as good as everyone says he is (and after looking at his highlights he certainly looks the part to be able to play right away), this guy will just take away minutes from him. I don't think Mac has a lot of faith in Rati being anything more than a guy off the bench to wreak havoc... but why can't Reef do that??? Really. I'm perplexed. That's the only conclusion I can come up with... or maybe he's not convinced that JC can play at this level.

I dunno... i'm stumped.
go_jays

Postby CouncilBluffsJay » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:17 pm

jon4thejays wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Wow...what a discussion.

I'm not in favor of losing another player to transfer.
Just start either Miller or Green at the 3. Both give us the size and
potential scoring we need. With the expected bump up by our starters,
we don't necessarily need a 12-15 ppg guy at the 3.

Miller and Green are both freshman, therefore untested and highly unpredictable. I have hope that Miller can be that guy, but correct me if I am wrong Green spent most of this year at the 5? His biggest assets are defending and versatility. I don’t see Green as an option on the wing at all, I predict him as the back up 4 or a redshirt.

I'd assume playing the 5 was out of necessity. Not too many guys around here(that play basketball at a high level) are taller than 6'3 or 6'4. Coincidentally, the state of Nebraska had 2 of these guys last year. I'd bet on AAU squads he's playing the 3/4.
CouncilBluffsJay

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 pm

I think he needs a sticky.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:05 pm

89 - 60
LJay

Previous

Return to Recruiting