2019 G Francisco Farabello (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2019 G Francisco Farabello (Transfer Commit)

Postby bugmuncher » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:06 pm

I'm thrilled to sign a kid who shoots 40% from 3 and has already proven himself to one of our coaches.

Looks like a great match!
bugmuncher

Postby CouncilBluffsJay » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 pm

Do we think he is more of a 2 guard for us as opposed to a 1 even though he was a 1 for TCU? There's is already Reef and Rati at the 1, at least until one of them learns to shoot it a little better.
CouncilBluffsJay

Postby BlueOrBust » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:54 pm

CouncilBluffsJay wrote:Do we think he is more of a 2 guard for us as opposed to a 1 even though he was a 1 for TCU? There's is already Reef and Rati at the 1, at least until one of them learns to shoot it a little better.

TCU fans say his passing and creation are on the weak side (even though he limits turnovers) so I think the reserve 2 is right on.
BlueOrBust

Postby REALITY » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:20 pm

BlueOrBust wrote:
CouncilBluffsJay wrote:Do we think he is more of a 2 guard for us as opposed to a 1 even though he was a 1 for TCU? There's is already Reef and Rati at the 1, at least until one of them learns to shoot it a little better.

TCU fans say his passing and creation are on the weak side (even though he limits turnovers) so I think the reserve 2 is right on.

He's definitely a wing for us.

Might his passing and creation be weak for being considered a point guard? Probably. But that's still likely an upgrade over AO's ballhandling. And when we've got R2/Reef and Trey on the floor along with him in a 3 guard lineup, we're not even going to be asking for secondary ballhandling from him, anyways.
REALITY

Postby CouncilBluffsJay » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:26 pm

Cool. I was a little uneasy seeing what his primary position was at TCU being that we have Reef and Rati and I personally think if either could learn to score consistently, they could probably play significant minutes at most P6 programs. That being said, I'm glad we brought in a deep threat to push JC.
CouncilBluffsJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
BlueOrBust wrote:The computers love his efficiency even if he was under used at TCU. Should be a great 6/7th man especially if the Freshman don't take a step forward from beyond the arc.

Agree. I think he looks like a really nice fit - we weren't looking for a guy who wanted to be a guaranteed starter. His usage should go up with us (we share the ball really well) and we can definitely use a solid 3 PT shooter, but to me he looks like he brings more than that as well.

I don't think this is true. If they can get a guy who's good enough to slot into the starting lineup and replace what AO gave the team, they'd absolutely take him. I think that was priority 1A to back-up center's 1B. Right now they have four guys who seem like locks to start with a hole on the wing. They have guys who could fill that spot, but you'd probably be starting either smaller or bigger than would be ideal. I think they definitely have something to sell a sharp-shooting wing with versatility.

I don't have any insight here specifically, but it seems like this could foreshadow other moves. Not sure with the current roster construction that it makes all that much sense to add another smaller combo-guard with one of your two open scholarships while saving the other for a big. Adding shooting? Sure, makes sense. Adding shooting from a 6'3" guard who has been a low-volume guy throughout his career when you already have R2 (6'), Trey (6'4"), Reef (6'), Rati (6'4"), Christofilis (6'3") and Shtolzberg (6'5")? Not as much to me.
JacobPadilla

Postby REALITY » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:52 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:
BlueOrBust wrote:The computers love his efficiency even if he was under used at TCU. Should be a great 6/7th man especially if the Freshman don't take a step forward from beyond the arc.

Agree. I think he looks like a really nice fit - we weren't looking for a guy who wanted to be a guaranteed starter. His usage should go up with us (we share the ball really well) and we can definitely use a solid 3 PT shooter, but to me he looks like he brings more than that as well.

I don't think this is true. If they can get a guy who's good enough to slot into the starting lineup and replace what AO gave the team, they'd absolutely take him. I think that was priority 1A to back-up center's 1B. Right now they have four guys who seem like locks to start with a hole on the wing. They have guys who could fill that spot, but you'd probably be starting either smaller or bigger than would be ideal. I think they definitely have something to sell a sharp-shooting wing with versatility.

I don't have any insight here specifically, but it seems like this could foreshadow other moves. Not sure with the current roster construction that it makes all that much sense to add another smaller combo-guard with one of your two open scholarships while saving the other for a big. Adding shooting? Sure, makes sense. Adding shooting from a 6'3" guard who has been a low-volume guy throughout his career when you already have R2 (6'), Trey (6'4"), Reef (6'), Rati (6'4"), Christofilis (6'3") and Shtolzberg (6'5")? Not as much to me.

So you think there will be more moves? Not that I disagree since I felt like we'd have 2-3 by the end of things.
I think by adding another wing (which to me Farabello clearly will be used as here), it's telegraphing the move. We won't be seeing a ballhandler depart (R2 or Reef) nor Trey. Shtolzberg would probably be the easiest to have depart since he's not on the team as it is and I'd think by now he'd have reopened up his commitment. My guess is the staff likes his utility - it seems like he's a good shooter that can play on or off the ball (a scoring PG ala Marcus... not that that is a reasonable expectation for Ben to be an NBA level guy at this point, mind you). That leaves 2 guys who might not be with the team next year.
REALITY

Postby drbluejay » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:06 am

The Story in this mornings OWH (local newspaper) is that Farabello has 3 years to play 2. As I looked at Verbal Commits, he is listed as an expected redshirt. I wonder if the plan is to redshirt him which would give him 6 years in college while playing 5 years.
drbluejay

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:46 am

That would be very strange for him to redshirt unless he’s injured.
Eye of the Jay

Postby NateFunkyTown » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:26 am

JacobPadilla wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

This is where I'm at Jacob. He's a good system fit and we need a shooter, but it's a little strange if he's the only wing add given our current roster construction. I actually want to push back against the people saying expectations for a transfer were too high. Expectations SHOULD be high. We have clear 4 starters and a clear ready made role for a fifth guy. All on a team that's gonna be preseason top 15 and has a track record of being very successful with transfers. We have a lot to sell, and while I do like both Francisco and Fredrick, I'll be slightly disappointed if that's all we bring in this offseason (if we even land Fredrick).
NateFunkyTown

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting