2024 5 star Trentyn Flowers

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2024 5 star Trentyn Flowers

Postby JacobPadilla » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:04 pm

LJay wrote:Like LIV golfers with their BS “grow the game” schtick, Flowers quote about knowing LU was the place for him from the moment he stepped on campus being replaced with the truth of “I got the bag” would be refreshingly honest.

Quotes like that are why I put almost no stock in recruit interviews. If they're asked they have to say something, and they're probably going to go with what they think sounds good over what they really think. You'll usually get more out of post-commit interviews than post-visit ones where it's all the sam generic stuff, but that depends on what kind of recruitment it was.
JacobPadilla

Postby #RollJays » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:07 pm

Found out the bag wasn't what was promised and dipped to play professionally in Australia.
#RollJays

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:20 pm

JacobPadilla

Postby Altmanforprez » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:18 pm

Not sure if it was an issue with Payne, Louisville, or his NIL bag, but talk about dodging a bullet
Altmanforprez

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:58 pm

Some of the more disappointing recruiting losses in recent memory include Flowers, TyTy, Tugs Bowen, Josh Primo. This is Monday morning QB to the 10th degree and can't be proven, but I would wager that if any one of those players would have come to Creighton, we would not be a Top 10 preseason team right now. Those outcomes were necessary to build the squad, program and momentum we have.

"Get the best talent possible!" seems like a good recruiting strategy. Not so sure. For CU, get the best kids, character, fits, pieces, commitment - with talent - and see what happens. I'm officially off the "we should be recruiting one-and-done prospects" train. Target the 40th to 100th-ranked kids who could possibly declare early after 2 or 3 years that work for CU's system. In other words, no thank you, Cooper Flagg! Get lost!

Others standing out with some heartbreak include Hunter Sallis, Kerwin Walton, Ian Steere. You can't convince me we'd take any of the seven players I listed above over their eventual replacements. Hindsight is 20/20 and I love it, but feels like things worked out well for Creighton in how things eventually ended up.
vivid_dude

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:49 pm

another cautionary tale. Agree w/ Vivid that many of these kids don't seem worth all the incumbent drama and uncertainty. Not to say I would rather the coaches avoid 5-stars outright. You have to trust the coaches to read the kids and their situations, but I'm sure Louisville fans are criticizing their coaches for failing to do exactly that. Kids and their families are unpredictable.

This kind of reminds me of all the things I dislike about CBB recruiting. Apparently Flowers tweeted "I'm a point guard, get it right" in the past couple days (ofc, no screenshot and tweet is gone). I get it -- you want to maximize your draft stock and first contract pay scale by pandering to scouts' optimistic projections, but I think it would behoove a lot of these kids (and their "inner circles") to focus on the year of basketball in front of them as a legitimate competitive effort instead of an NBA audition. I'm hopeful that channels like the G League Ignite will improve this situation in the coming years -- but NIL really complicates the equation.

Either way, best of luck to Flowers and hopefully he gets his named called in the lottery next spring.
Jaysker12

Postby LJay » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:34 pm

Thud

89 - 60
LJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:35 am

:x
Jaysker12 wrote:another cautionary tale. Agree w/ Vivid that many of these kids don't seem worth all the incumbent drama and uncertainty. Not to say I would rather the coaches avoid 5-stars outright. You have to trust the coaches to read the kids and their situations, but I'm sure Louisville fans are criticizing their coaches for failing to do exactly that. Kids and their families are unpredictable.

Agreed. It is very difficult to accurately 'predict' and read, the unpredictability of recruits/families. Coaches do the best they can.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby LJay » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:10 pm

Presented without further comment.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby Dough Boy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:03 pm

LJay wrote:Presented without further comment.

Looking at the headline in Ant's tweet it reads like they are releasing Flowers, but it sounds like the team is just moving him to the wing.

Dough Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting