2024 F Jackson McAndrew (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2024 F Jackson McAndrew (Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:21 pm

slaw wrote:Has anyone seen a full game (and not a highlight reel)?

What's his defensive outlook?

from the 247 blurb last July
"Defensively, while his size and mobility give him some potential, he can get sealed inside too easily and usually rotates from the weakside to help on the ball with his length more so than his total body. Finally, he needs to ensure he’s a consistent rebounding presence, particularly on the defensive end."

https://247sports.com/player/jackson-mcandrew-46135258/
to my eye, still has a lot of physical development to do but moves really well, has a lot of length and plays with pretty solid defensive fundamentals (i.e., not leaving his feet too quickly, playing straight up, etc.), but he needs weight and strength to compete defensively at the next level

here's a lot of game film, if not the entire game. Starts really slow, and you can kind of see where it he gets into the game - has a drive and dish for an open 3, gets the offensive board and put back. Guess he ends up with 31
Chicagojayfan

Postby mel ott » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm

LJay wrote:For the record, yes, Benoit played in the McDonalds All Star game. He was considered the #1 center coming out of high school.

Benoit Benjamin was the top rated recruit at Creighton by a long shot ( top player in the country). In recent eras, he is probably correct. Hell, thank goodness it was a mistake regarding CU where there will be no public rebuke.

Husker fans would be outraged to hear if there was a similar comparison of someone of the star stature in football, in the 70's, was forgotten and there would be articles of follow up to apologize.

Key is I can't wait to watch Mc Andrew this next fall !
mel ott

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:23 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
slaw wrote:Has anyone seen a full game (and not a highlight reel)?

What's his defensive outlook?

from the 247 blurb last July
"Defensively, while his size and mobility give him some potential, he can get sealed inside too easily and usually rotates from the weakside to help on the ball with his length more so than his total body. Finally, he needs to ensure he’s a consistent rebounding presence, particularly on the defensive end."

https://247sports.com/player/jackson-mcandrew-46135258/
to my eye, still has a lot of physical development to do but moves really well, has a lot of length and plays with pretty solid defensive fundamentals (i.e., not leaving his feet too quickly, playing straight up, etc.), but he needs weight and strength to compete defensively at the next level

here's a lot of game film, if not the entire game. Starts really slow, and you can kind of see where it he gets into the game - has a drive and dish for an open 3, gets the offensive board and put back. Guess he ends up with 31

This is from the thread I did on him back in October:

JacobPadilla

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:07 am

Not trying to overtly kiss your behind, but once again this is stuff most of us wouldn’t know if you didn’t point it out. You are good at what you do JP.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:15 am

SonofFrankTomera wrote:Not trying to overtly kiss your behind, but once again this is stuff most of us wouldn’t know if you didn’t point it out. You are good at what you do JP.

+1, the recruit breakdowns you did were excellent Jacob!

I was able to track down a few things to add around his defensive potential. There are a ton of Youtube videos of him out there as well, showing the good and bad moments in his games which helps more than just the highlights

- For a long, thin guy he has good balance and changes direction pretty quickly, more than I'd think from looking at him
- he adds to that by being pretty fundamentally sound - he contests by going straight up rather than reaching, and he seems to understand using his length to keep the right defensive cushion rather than trying to get too close where smaller guys could use their quickness against him
- He really alters a lot of shots. I knew he was pretty long, but saw an article saying he has a 7-3" wingspan (think Kalk is at 7-5"), so that makes sense in terms of being able to influence shooters ability to score over him and to help

Creighton has shown a good ability to put on good weight for guys in the program, so I anticipate him adding the strength he needs, and I think that will add to his quickness as well.. Now take that balance and athleticism, add in the extra strength he can add, and then add in the offensive skill set he has and that will develop, and it's easy to get excited about him playing for Creighton!
Chicagojayfan

Postby LJay » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:10 pm

So skilled and such a quick release shot but he just has to get bigger to contribute immediately.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby jaysfan3 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:52 pm

LJay wrote:So skilled and such a quick release shot but he just has to get bigger to contribute immediately.

I agree that he needs to get bigger but he is 20 pounds heavier than Mason (yes, I know the internet could be wrong).
jaysfan3

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:12 pm

Yeah, he's not cripplingly slight like Mason was coming out of high school. Strength is definitely an issue as I highlighted in my thread from his summer ball, but he should be able to play early.
JacobPadilla

Postby LJay » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Interview here.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby jaysfan3 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:53 pm

jaysfan3

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting