2023 transfer portal

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2023 transfer portal

Postby SeattleJay » Thu May 04, 2023 11:57 am

Jet915 wrote:Wouldn't Nelson replace Art at the PF position? I would think Knox is the one who would get bumped if we got Nelson.

My comment about it not making sense is more about minutes than scholarships. Scholarships can be gamed.

I think Miller, Traudt and Lawson would not be here if they weren’t going to get 20+ minutes. That can work if we lose one of 3. If you bring in Nelson, Traudt or Miller would likely lose a lot of minutes. (Unless, we lose 2 bigs.)
SeattleJay

Postby sdebole059 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Remember, the team does not have to be at or under the scholarship limit until fall practice…
sdebole059

Postby 5PointsBank3 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:24 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Wouldn't Nelson replace Art at the PF position? I would think Knox is the one who would get bumped if we got Nelson.

My comment about it not making sense is more about minutes than scholarships. Scholarships can be gamed.

I think Miller, Traudt and Lawson would not be here if they weren’t going to get 20+ minutes. That can work if we lose one of 3. If you bring in Nelson, Traudt or Miller would likely lose a lot of minutes. (Unless, we lose 2 bigs.)

I'm pretty sure there is an interview with Traudt after he committed saying he was interested in coming to Creighton regardless of Art's decision to go pro or come back to school. Miller and Traudt's minutes would certainly be reduced with the (surprise) return of Art or addition of Nelson, but I doubt either would consider transferring because of it. Lawson fits better as a 3 or 2, so his playing time is likely unrelated to the 4.

Creighton is likely fine with their current roster, but with the loss of R2 they really could use another player like Art or Nelson that is capable of finishing at the rim (not a strength of Ashworth, Miller, or Traudt). Personally, I hope we shoot our shot with Nelson and if he chooses another NIL bag or NBA then so be it. But we should try to field a team of the best players possible and let playing time and minutes work itself out in practice.
5PointsBank3

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu May 04, 2023 12:33 pm

5PointsBank3 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is an interview with Traudt after he committed saying he was interested in coming to Creighton regardless of Art's decision to go pro or come back to school. Miller and Traudt's minutes would certainly be reduced with the (surprise) return of Art or addition of Nelson, but I doubt either would consider transferring because of it. Lawson fits better as a 3 or 2, so his playing time is likely unrelated to the 4.

Creighton is likely fine with their current roster, but with the loss of R2 they really could use another player like Art or Nelson that is capable of finishing at the rim (not a strength of Ashworth, Miller, or Traudt). Personally, I hope we shoot our shot with Nelson and if he chooses another NIL bag or NBA then so be it. But we should try to field a team of the best players possible and let playing time and minutes work itself out in practice.

Very good points. I think Nelson could help us - as you say, we can use someone good at finishing in the paint and at the rim (and the numbers I put above show that, and he even did it against Arkansas).

Lawson is exactly what we needed to help at the 3 and the 2, but he isn't a 4 by any means. Miller can play both 4 and 3. Traudt's a 4 and maybe a bit of stretch 5 if needed

I still think it's a long shot due to just how difficult it would be to make the minutes work for him and for the rest of the roster, but who knows, maybe he wants to get a shot at a final 4 and to develop another year in a system like ours. Either way, we also end up with a nice situation for Traudt, Miller, and Lawson to take over and reload the following year when people go to the NBA, etc.
Chicagojayfan

Postby D Jay Fan » Thu May 04, 2023 3:12 pm

If someone like Nelson was going to take Art's place, he better practice his pump fakes during the off-season
D Jay Fan

Postby #RollJays » Thu May 04, 2023 3:28 pm

D Jay Fan wrote:If someone like Nelson was going to take Art's place, he better practice his pump fakes during the off-season

Thanks for sharing
#RollJays

Postby jays911 » Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 pm

#RollJays wrote:
D Jay Fan wrote:If someone like Nelson was going to take Art's place, he better practice his pump fakes during the off-season

Thanks for sharing

And dribbling into the corner.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Realhoops » Thu May 04, 2023 4:48 pm

I dont really remember Art dribbling into the corner.

Sometimes I wonder why a kid like Art would even want to come back when so much of the vocal fan base just takes every opportunity to criticize. You’d almost think he did nothing for Creighton listening to some people on here.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby LJay » Thu May 04, 2023 4:51 pm

Realhoops wrote:I dont really remember Art dribbling into the corner.

Sometimes I wonder why a kid like Art would even want to come back when so much of the vocal fan base just takes every opportunity to criticize. You’d almost think he did nothing for Creighton listening to some people on here.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu May 04, 2023 5:10 pm

5PointsBank3 wrote:
SeattleJay wrote:

I think Traudt can be more of an interior finisher than you're giving him credit for. He's not just a pure spot-up 3-point shooter.

Initial contact doesn't mean much. I'd be surprised to see this go much beyond reaching out at this point.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting