Oswin Erhunmwunse

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Oswin Erhunmwunse

Postby PAJay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm

I have recently started to wonder if recruits who announce a "final 4" and a decision day/time have already chosen or is this is now all just code for saying to all 4: "now is the last time to put your best NIL offer on the table"?
PAJay

Postby omajay » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:33 pm

PAJay wrote:I have recently started to wonder if recruits who announce a "final 4" and a decision day/time have already chosen or is this is now all just code for saying to all 4: "now is the last time to put your best NIL offer on the table"?

I think they have already chosen in 99% of the cases. I think they just like the spotlight and attention.
omajay

Postby Helmzy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:35 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:It would be shocking if he chose anyone but Providence.

^
Helmzy

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:56 pm

He chose…poorly. (Cue Indiana Jones gif)

Best of luck to him.
vivid_dude

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:55 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Always dangerous to review Twitter likes as a way to determine a prospect's upcoming decision, but around January 4 - he was liking a bunch of Creighton stuff. Then, he spent a day liking Oklahoma tweets. Since then, it's all Friars, all the time.

So, based on my calculations, who knows? I hope he comes to Creighton and becomes a legend. If he doesn't, I wish him luck and probably won't think about him much. He should get over that pretty quickly. Oswin will do what he and his family thinks is best for him, as he should. Maybe it's Creighton. Maybe it's not.

That said...a recruiting core of Ty Davis, Larry Johnson, Jackson McAndrew and Oswin Erhunmwunse would be very cool. Different, complementary skillsets that Creighton needs. If Oswin doesn't come to Omaha, I hope (and would guess) there's a backup plan at the five position. An overseas prospect, perhaps? I have a feeling all the Kalk-disparagers will realize their folly once he departs. As Joni Mitchell said, and the Counting Crows ruined, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?" Maybe that should be the new intro song.

This is my biggest worry/issue with not landing Oswin. Who knows if he'll be ready to contribute heavily next year, but we can't go into next year with Fred as our starting 5 throughout the season. I know there's a group of posters who are overwhelmingly positive and optimistic, but that's how I see it with Fred. He's extremely limited offensively, but the worrisome part is on defense. He's not good on that end. He looks like he should be a good defender, cause he's got good size and is a decent athlete. But, he's halfway through his sophomore season and he's a noticeable negative on that end of the floor. Not even when comparing him to an all conference level defender in Kalk, cause that's not fair. But just in general. For how big he is, he gets pinned and sealed really deep way too often, he's not a great shot blocker, and he cannot contest anything without fouling. He doesn't look any improved defensively on that end from last year, IMO. Maybe he could shock me and take a huge sophomore to junior leap, but I'm not seeing that at the moment. Before someone comes in here with advanced per 40 stats that are meaningless, I know what my eyes tell me and King isn't a starting level Big East center. Landing Oswin would have been big, because good productive centers are hard to find in the portal. When they hit the portal, they usually go the blueblood route. Best of luck to Oswin, but we cannot go into next year with Fred King, a Feazell/Kelvin Jones level transfer, Vice and Traudt playing small ball 5. Either King needs to take a massive leap, or we need to really dial in on a good big in the portal.
bluejayfan00

Postby LJay » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:31 pm

Providence. Lock the thread.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby T-bone » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:44 pm

Unlocked the thread.

I remember when everyone thought Fred was so athletic and could do anything.
Last edited by T-bone on Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-bone

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:53 pm

T-bone wrote:Unlocked the thread.

I remember when everyone thought Fred was so athletic and could be ad do anything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bluejayfan00

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:58 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Always dangerous to review Twitter likes as a way to determine a prospect's upcoming decision, but around January 4 - he was liking a bunch of Creighton stuff. Then, he spent a day liking Oklahoma tweets. Since then, it's all Friars, all the time.

So, based on my calculations, who knows? I hope he comes to Creighton and becomes a legend. If he doesn't, I wish him luck and probably won't think about him much. He should get over that pretty quickly. Oswin will do what he and his family thinks is best for him, as he should. Maybe it's Creighton. Maybe it's not.

That said...a recruiting core of Ty Davis, Larry Johnson, Jackson McAndrew and Oswin Erhunmwunse would be very cool. Different, complementary skillsets that Creighton needs. If Oswin doesn't come to Omaha, I hope (and would guess) there's a backup plan at the five position. An overseas prospect, perhaps? I have a feeling all the Kalk-disparagers will realize their folly once he departs. As Joni Mitchell said, and the Counting Crows ruined, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?" Maybe that should be the new intro song.

This is my biggest worry/issue with not landing Oswin. Who knows if he'll be ready to contribute heavily next year, but we can't go into next year with Fred as our starting 5 throughout the season. I know there's a group of posters who are overwhelmingly positive and optimistic, but that's how I see it with Fred. He's extremely limited offensively, but the worrisome part is on defense. He's not good on that end. He looks like he should be a good defender, cause he's got good size and is a decent athlete. But, he's halfway through his sophomore season and he's a noticeable negative on that end of the floor. Not even when comparing him to an all conference level defender in Kalk, cause that's not fair. But just in general. For how big he is, he gets pinned and sealed really deep way too often, he's not a great shot blocker, and he cannot contest anything without fouling. He doesn't look any improved defensively on that end from last year, IMO. Maybe he could shock me and take a huge sophomore to junior leap, but I'm not seeing that at the moment. Before someone comes in here with advanced per 40 stats that are meaningless, I know what my eyes tell me and King isn't a starting level Big East center. Landing Oswin would have been big, because good productive centers are hard to find in the portal. When they hit the portal, they usually go the blueblood route. Best of luck to Oswin, but we cannot go into next year with Fred King, a Feazell/Kelvin Jones level transfer, Vice and Traudt playing small ball 5. Either King needs to take a massive leap, or we need to really dial in on a good big in the portal.

I think people were probably way too high on King when he came in as a freshman because they weren't taking into account just how little Basketball he's played in his life and how raw he was. He does have some excellent skills and abilities and while I think he's made strides since last year, he's definitely had a bit of a slump the past few games

As you point out the bigger problem he's having is that he's not getting into the right places fast enough, but that goes back to how raw he is. To my eyes, he was doing a much better job before the past few games in his positioning. I think he was maybe trying too hard not to foul which has made him less of a shot blocker

Since you mentioned per 40 stats. he is doing better at some things this year

scoring up from 16.2 to 17.8
rebounding up from 11.8 to 14.0

But other things are worse:
Blocks 3.6 to 1.5 (I think he's being too conservative to try not to foul which is backfiring on him)
personal fouls: 5.9 to 5.9

The fouls have been particularly bad lately (9 fouls per 40 in conference play) and that would be far worse before playing 16 minutes with only 2 fouls against DePaul

Agree that we need to shore up the Center position.

- I think we need to look at Traudt as a part time center (not just because we will see teams that play small ball against us, and he's the best option there, and it allows us to get guys like Green on the court)

- No guarantees that Oswin is a quality starting center in the BE as a Freshman.
Clingan was dominant as a Frosh, but had the luxury of playing behind Sanogo; (37th ranked recruit)
Soriano was a transfer in 2 years after playing college ball;
Bediako is a transfer;
Dixon took a year (67th ranked recruit)
Oso didn't start for his first 2 years (99th ranked recruit)
Oduro was a transfer
Kalk didn't start as a freshman and only played 13.8 minutes behind a 6-7 forward playing center for us (and many were concerned going into the following year with Kalkbrenner)

I don't know what the coaches think of King necessarily, but I do like the potential he shows. He has to get better, but we probably aren't finding a quality starting Center as a true freshman - not in the BE
Chicagojayfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:

I think people were probably way too high on King when he came in as a freshman because they weren't taking into account just how little Basketball he's played in his life and how raw he was. He does have some excellent skills and abilities and while I think he's made strides since last year, he's definitely had a bit of a slump the past few games

As you point out the bigger problem he's having is that he's not getting into the right places fast enough, but that goes back to how raw he is. To my eyes, he was doing a much better job before the past few games in his positioning. I think he was maybe trying too hard not to foul which has made him less of a shot blocker

Since you mentioned per 40 stats. he is doing better at some things this year

scoring up from 16.2 to 17.8
rebounding up from 11.8 to 14.0

But other things are worse:
Blocks 3.6 to 1.5 (I think he's being too conservative to try not to foul which is backfiring on him)
personal fouls: 5.9 to 5.9

The fouls have been particularly bad lately (9 fouls per 40 in conference play) and that would be far worse before playing 16 minutes with only 2 fouls against DePaul

Agree that we need to shore up the Center position.

- I think we need to look at Traudt as a part time center (not just because we will see teams that play small ball against us, and he's the best option there, and it allows us to get guys like Green on the court)

- No guarantees that Oswin is a quality starting center in the BE as a Freshman.
Clingan was dominant as a Frosh, but had the luxury of playing behind Sanogo; (37th ranked recruit)
Soriano was a transfer in 2 years after playing college ball;
Bediako is a transfer;
Dixon took a year (67th ranked recruit)
Oso didn't start for his first 2 years (99th ranked recruit)
Oduro was a transfer
Kalk didn't start as a freshman and only played 13.8 minutes behind a 6-7 forward playing center for us (and many were concerned going into the following year with Kalkbrenner)

I don't know what the coaches think of King necessarily, but I do like the potential he shows. He has to get better, but we probably aren't finding a quality starting Center as a true freshman - not in the BE

bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting