2013 PF Toby Hegner

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2013 PF Toby Hegner (Signed)

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 am

no 2013 red shirts. Hegner backs up DMD.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby AttyAlum » Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 am

gtmoBlue wrote:no 2013 red shirts. Hegner backs up DMD.

Where does Wragge play then? And if you are suggesting the center, what about Hanson then? I see Wragge backing up McDermott and Groselle/Wragge backing up Artino.

Ideally, the staff can redshirt both Hegner and Hanson IMO. I'm not suggesting that would happen, but it would be the ideal situation.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

One redshirting decision is obvious: Hegner. Although it really sucks and he could be our most talented incoming freshman, there will be few to no minutes at the 4 next year with Doug and Wragge taking most of them. The more complicated decision is Hanson. Even if you redshirt him this year, he still has to waste a full year as the #3 center. I would rather allow him the chance to prove himself and get minutes over Groselle. Those are just my thoughts. Redshirts are used to deal with roster crowding/ physical development issues. Zach is not lacking in the body department, and even if we redshirt him for this year, it doesn't change anything for his freshman year.
Jaysker12

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am

Hanson will also provide us with another 5 fouls for next year. Ech was great at staying out of foul trouble for the most part, but from what we've seen Artino is not. Hanson will get minutes to soak up some fouls. Besides, he also provides us extra depth assurance in case (God forbid) Artino or Groselle are injured.
Jaysker12

Postby LJay » Wed May 15, 2013 11:21 am

Heard an interview with GMac and he said ideally we would redshirt all of the freshmen but rarely do you deal with ideal conditions.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am

Jaysker12 wrote:One redshirting decision is obvious: Hegner. Although it really sucks and he could be our most talented incoming freshman, there will be few to no minutes at the 4 next year with Doug and Wragge taking most of them. The more complicated decision is Hanson. Even if you redshirt him this year, he still has to waste a full year as the #3 center. I would rather allow him the chance to prove himself and get minutes over Groselle. Those are just my thoughts. Redshirts are used to deal with roster crowding/ physical development issues. Zach is not lacking in the body department, and even if we redshirt him for this year, it doesn't change anything for his freshman year.

Agree with this and with your next post on Hanson as well. There is some chance Hegner will play, but I tend to think the odds are predominantly in favor of him taking a RS year so we have him to fill in for Doug's spot next year.

Optimally we could RS Hanson as well, but it will depend on what Groselle and Artino able to do defensively, IMO. If they can play D and Groselle can bang with the bigger guys, we can go with a Artino, Groselle, Wragge rotation at the 5.

Harris may have the best chance to play next year -- we really only have one guy who can play D against regular sized 3's on our roster (Dingman) and may just need someone with the right height out on the floor somewhere. I suspect, Millikan is slotted to play the 3 a bit, but we'll have to see.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 pm

As I watched the nba draft combine today, I realized how much of a defined spot there is in the NBA for a player like Hegner - 6'10 with post moves and an outside shot. If he can add more strength and become a solid rebounder, there's no reason he won't get looks from scouts and get invited to the combine. I'm excited for his contributions after both Doug and Wragge leave - this kid is used to the limelight as the star on his team in Berlin. He could very well end up as our leading scorer for a season or two before we start to get top 100 freshman.
Jaysker12

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 pm

exactly right

i tend to think cohort is a better indicator of a recruit's potential than service rankings.
cujaysfan

Postby mredle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Except for the very top of the service rankings, there are a number of very "political" factors that come into play. Bottom line is that D-1 coaches have to make their own assessment of talent,fit and potential. It's their jobs and success that are on the line. Publication of service rankings are primarily for websites and fans, like us, who can't go out to the various AAU and HS tournaments, go to practices, etc.
mredle

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:28 pm

I remember when Roy Enright was at Omaha Burke, he was very highly rated by the recruiting services. He was a very marginal prospect, but his step dad had some kind of pull with said recruiting services and he ended up at good ol NU for a couple years before great basketball talent guru Barry Collier parted ways with him.
SonofFrankTomera

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting