Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Battle for third through seventh

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Angry Dan wrote:Butler could win all five of those games

Then again....
TrueBlueJay

Postby section221jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

CU could have a 2 game lead for 3rd going in to Saturday.
section221jay

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Georgetown, St. John's and Depaul are killing the Big East's at large chances. It's possible we only get 4 in, but most likely 5. X and Nova have to start losing some games to 3-7.
Eye of the Jay

Postby section221jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:Georgetown, St. John's and Depaul are killing the Big East's at large chances. It's possible we only get 4 in, but most likely 5. X and Nova have to start losing some games to 3-7.

I think they are safely at 5. The 6th could still play their way in. Butler and Prov. are 41 and 43 RPI.

Pac 12 may only get 4 or 5. Big 10 may get 5 tops...maybe 4. ACC will get a ton but they have 1/2 the teams in D1 in that f-ing conference. They gotta fill up the bracket somehow. The #1 RPI conference has to get some benefit of doubt.
section221jay

Postby Angry Dan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Angry Dan wrote:Butler could win all five of those games

Oops.......would you believe 3-2?
Angry Dan

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 pm

section221jay wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:Georgetown, St. John's and Depaul are killing the Big East's at large chances. It's possible we only get 4 in, but most likely 5. X and Nova have to start losing some games to 3-7.

I think they are safely at 5. The 6th could still play their way in. Butler and Prov. are 41 and 43 RPI.

Pac 12 may only get 4 or 5. Big 10 may get 5 tops...maybe 4. ACC will get a ton but they have 1/2 the teams in D1 in that f-ing conference. They gotta fill up the bracket somehow. The #1 RPI conference has to get some benefit of doubt.

No. That’s not how it works. Been trying desperately to educate Husker fans that conferences don’t get bids or benefits of doubt. Teams get bids - either the resume is good enough or not. Doesn’t matter how many other bids have been given to other teams in the conference.

Right now X, Nova, CU, SH have good enough resumes. Butler and Providence are teetering a bit. This loss hurt Butler.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby JayPak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 pm

On the bright bracketology side, the BE's chances of winning in the NIT go way up with Georgetown and St. John's potentially getting into the field.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby section221jay » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
section221jay wrote:

No. That’s not how it works. Been trying desperately to educate Husker fans that conferences don’t get bids or benefits of doubt. Teams get bids - either the resume is good enough or not. Doesn’t matter how many other bids have been given to other teams in the conference.

Right now X, Nova, CU, SH have good enough resumes. Butler and Providence are teetering a bit. This loss hurt Butler.

Gee, thanks professor. When looking at teams that will/may get in, one may actually look at...i don't know...maybe a conference as a whole and start working down. So while I know the BE won't be slotted a certain number I DO believe that a team around 50 in the BE might get a slight edge over maybe team around 50 in the Big 10 this year. The end result being x number from one conference and y from another.

So, again, everyone knows the committee doesn't go in thinking 6 from the BE, 5 from big 10, etc. But you're forgetting what it was like trying to get an at large from the mo valley if you think conference affiliation and conference perception don't matter. This year, the perception of the Big 10 is taking a hit. While Joe Lunardi takes crap here and he isn't on the committee...him making a big issue of the Big 10 sucking on air tonight tells you it isn't just fans thinking so.
section221jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

JayPak wrote:On the bright bracketology side, the BE's chances of winning in the NIT go way up with Georgetown and St. John's potentially getting into the field.

maybe the two most dangerous teams in the NCAA right now. Not only playing really, really well, but a line/season killer for the wrong teams
Chicagojayfan

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 am

I've been plugging in possible results here for the last week:

http://bball.notnothing.net/bigeast.php?sport=mbb

But one contingency I didn't try was Butler losing at home to Georgetown. Butler had the tiebreaker on the other 3-6 teams with a win over Nova, so last night's loss really hurt. Marquette's league record is bad but they have 2 games with us, plus 3 against the (now red hot) bottom teams. If they go 4-1, they'd finish 5th. Crazy league.
Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops