2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal (Creighton-related)

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:29 am

Being in on Terrance and Amari simultaneously tells me we have some of the most competitive NIL in the country
GoatGibbs

Postby LJay » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:05 pm

Pretty convinced at this point that being one of a couple dozen teams still playing doesn’t hurt the portal search much at all. There are so many high quality players coming out that, if your NIL pot is big enough, you really have no excuse not to land impact transfers each and every year these rules remain in place.

The biggest unknown will be who leaves the Jays each year and I am fully prepared for further WTF moments like we had last year with R2 and to a lesser extent Art. No expectation that anyone major is particularly unhappy or “underpaid” but it’s pretty obvious many kids want to check out what they’re worth in the open market.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:26 pm

LJay wrote:Pretty convinced at this point that being one of a couple dozen teams still playing doesn’t hurt the portal search much at all. There are so many high quality players coming out that, if your NIL pot is big enough, you really have no excuse not to land impact transfers each and every year these rules remain in place.

The biggest unknown will be who leaves the Jays each year and I am fully prepared for further WTF moments like we had last year with R2 and Art. No expectation that anyone major is particularly unhappy or “underpaid” but it’s pretty obvious many kids want to check out what they’re worth in the open market.

I don't think there's anything on the table at this point that would surprise me more than Nembhard checking out. Maybe Trey coming back? I'm really curious what NBA scouts think of him because I don't think he's a first round lock per a lot of the recent mocks I've seen.

I would be surprised but not R2 surprised if the EXTREMELY REMOTE rumor of Kalk portalling came true. He would command more than a million dollars if he made himself available to a blue blood. Creighton might be able to match that but it would limit our ability in the portal obviously. At least it would have some logic.
GoatGibbs

Postby omajay » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:
LJay wrote:Pretty convinced at this point that being one of a couple dozen teams still playing doesn’t hurt the portal search much at all. There are so many high quality players coming out that, if your NIL pot is big enough, you really have no excuse not to land impact transfers each and every year these rules remain in place.

The biggest unknown will be who leaves the Jays each year and I am fully prepared for further WTF moments like we had last year with R2 and Art. No expectation that anyone major is particularly unhappy or “underpaid” but it’s pretty obvious many kids want to check out what they’re worth in the open market.

I don't think there's anything on the table at this point that would surprise me more than Nembhard checking out. Maybe Trey coming back? I'm really curious what NBA scouts think of him because I don't think he's a first round lock per a lot of the recent mocks I've seen.

I would be surprised but not R2 surprised if the EXTREMELY REMOTE rumor of Kalk portalling came true. He would command more than a million dollars if he made himself available to a blue blood. Creighton might be able to match that but it would limit our ability in the portal obviously. At least it would have some logic.

I will be shocked if Trey returns especially since his dad reportedly wanted him to turn pro last year. This recent mock draft has him as one of the last picks in the second round. I found it interesting that Devin Carter tweeted out this week suggesting he may return to Providence for one more year. He is a first rounder in most mock drafts. I can't imagine why he'd return to college.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... f-sweet-16
omajay

Postby GoatGibbs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:15 pm

I think Trey's measurables are the only real thing working against him. He's pretty slight in comparison to most NBA guards and isn't jumping out of the gym. He got a lot of feedback last go round that he needed to improve as a ball handler and did but I don't think it's to the degree where he can create shots in traffic at that level, which is what they want to see. Obviously he's improved.

I don't think I've had a jay i liked as much as him since TSA. Great kid and so much fun to watch play pickup. I'm rooting harder for him than anyone else on the squad
GoatGibbs

Postby Dough Boy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:30 pm

Dough Boy

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:53 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:
go_jays wrote:I think we've gotten about as much as we can out of our Drop Coverage. I'd like to see us get some players that can defend 1v1 straight up.

And all we have gotten is three consecutive Sweet 16s! Not sure how much we should deviate from what got us there. Would it be nice to have more athletic one-on-one defenders? Of course. But you can't have everything. Creighton isn't going away from its #LetitFly style.

I guess we could look for a 6'7", 235-lb pound off guard with a 47 inch vertical and a 7'5" reach, that can outmuscle all of the opposition, be a lockdown perimeter and post defender, shoot 44% from three and 92% from FT line, shift to point guard in a bind, break the press, be an extension of the coaching staff on the floor, serve as an RA in the athlete dorms, major in astrophysics and be in year two of the diaconate formation program. I'd be in favor of signing such a player.

Tough to have it all in this style offense. Must recruit the players who fit the system. Some of the traits we all want don't exist in one player and are rarely interchangeable. (But I still get your point.)

I mean, I don't think we will play the same style of defense once Kalk leaves. I think (?) that's what they OP was insinuating. The reason the drop is so effective is because how good Kalk is. If we don't have a great rim protecting 5, I think it'll look quite a bit different. When we had CB and MK, our coverage our 5's played was hard hedge and chase/recover

Yup. That's exactly what I was referring too. I assumed all posters would get that. But I forgot about Vivid.
go_jays

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 am

GoatGibbs wrote:Being in on Terrance and Amari simultaneously tells me we have some of the most competitive NIL in the country

"Being in" also means different things at different stages of recruitment. But my belief based on what I've heard is Creighton is very competitive in NIL but also smart with how the money gets dispersed. If it becomes a true bidding war where a guy just wants to pick his destination based on who pays the most, I doubt he ends up at Creighton. But those that pick Creighton for basketball reasons will certainly get taken care of.

Baylor is an example of that. Creighton didn't win a massive bidding war there despite some of the rumors. He picked them because of the basketball fit, knowing there'd be a nice chunk of change coming with that.
JacobPadilla

Postby LJay » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Considered CU out of high school and when he transferred the first time. I would think there’s a chance the coaches would like to speak to Mr. Storr once again.

89 - 60
LJay

Postby 5PointsBank3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

GoatGibbs wrote:Is there a 'confirmed contact' list or board out there? Would be nice to have all the info in one place now that they're coming in hot

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS9YXMqPRuyagmpLazwqwILBto1aAfu9nYQB4-ts8VxaydI41W0t5C1Igb_G-Z7JLuM-toKU3_yEx9G/pubhtml

Here's a list that I put together based on reports of players Creighton has reached out too as well as rumors of mutual interest. If anyone knows of any other names to add to the list or has any suggestions I'm happy to hear. I will try to keep updated as more portal news comes out.
5PointsBank3

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops