2024 Transfer Portal

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal

Postby BenningtonBluejay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

Trifecta wrote:Michigan St, CU, maybe Louisville? Lots of scuttlebutt.

Chucky on the hilltop? Wouldn’t hate it
BenningtonBluejay

Postby BellevueJay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 pm

Wonder if former HS teammates Chucky and Frankie Fidler want to team up somewhere? Perhaps this is the reason for Frankie's delay, he was going to go to Wiscy but then Chucky decided he was done in that hideous red and they are both moving on to a new option
BellevueJay

Postby Trifecta » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

Yes
Trifecta

Postby anotherjayfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 pm

Fun to talk about Chucky but would he be interested in CU if Ashworth is here?
anotherjayfan

Postby Trifecta » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

anotherjayfan wrote:Fun to talk about Chucky but would he be interested in CU if Ashworth is here?

Why not? Nothing says that he can't play alongside Ashworth. They are different players. His defensive prowess makes up for a lack of size playing them together. And if push comes to shove and you have to pick one or the other to start, it's not Chucky who would be coming off the bench... If anything, maybe that makes Steven reevaluate his decision?
Trifecta

Postby BellevueJay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 pm

anotherjayfan wrote:Fun to talk about Chucky but would he be interested in CU if Ashworth is here?

I could see him starting in front of Ash, especially since he plays defense. Ash could be our 6th man and an offensive spark plug. If Frankie comes, it could be an electric second unit on offense...not so much defense.
BellevueJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 pm

Trifecta wrote:

Why not? Nothing says that he can't play alongside Ashworth. They are different players. His defensive prowess makes up for a lack of size playing them together. And if push comes to shove and you have to pick one or the other to start, it's not Chucky who would be coming off the bench... If anything, maybe that makes Steven reevaluate his decision?

The bigger question is whether or not he can fit our offensive style

And no, he's not starting in front of Ashworth. We aren't looking to swap out a starter who went through the gauntlet of the league last year and learned how to play in our system in the BE with someone else from another league who's new to the team

We've been looking at a number of small combo guard types. IMO, Chucky is more of a combo guard. He tried to distribute more last year (higher assist rate, lower usage%), but it hurt his shooting from outside. I think he could bounce back when he has someone else to share the ballhandling and free him up to play the 2 on more sets
Chicagojayfan

Postby Trifecta » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm

I think they can play together. I'm saying that in the rare hypothetical that you have to pick one over the other... You are absolutely playing the better player. All the other stuff you're saying is important but it's all nice platitudes in today's day and age. Every year you're trying to build the best possible team.

Plus it's not unprecedented like this has never happened before in our program. Kenny Lawson, a multi-year starter, came off the bench when Gregory Echenique came in. Isaiah Zierden went to the bench when upgraded our roster. It's not unthinkable.
Trifecta

Postby go_jays » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 pm

Trifecta wrote:I think they can play together. I'm saying that in the rare hypothetical that you have to pick one over the other... You are absolutely playing the better player. All the other stuff you're saying is important but it's all nice platitudes in today's day and age. Every year you're trying to build the best possible team.

Plus it's not unprecedented like this has never happened before in our program. Kenny Lawson, a multi-year starter, came off the bench when Gregory Echenique came in. Isaiah Zierden went to the bench when upgraded our roster. It's not unthinkable.

Don't see this happening. My impression was that we are looking for bigger 2s that can bang with other bigger 2s in the BE. Trey is a 2 and got manhandled pretty regularly last year. Neither Hepburn or Ashworth are big 2s. And by "bigger" I don't be taller.

And I can't see them splitting time at PG.
go_jays

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm

Trifecta wrote:I think they can play together. I'm saying that in the rare hypothetical that you have to pick one over the other... You are absolutely playing the better player. All the other stuff you're saying is important but it's all nice platitudes in today's day and age. Every year you're trying to build the best possible team.

It's not unprecedented, but those are pre-Portal, Pre-NIL, and for Echinique it was pre-Big East. Additionally, Zierden had a near career ending knee injury. Ashworth loves playing for Mac and for this team, but not so much that he wouldn't walk if told he was being dumped to backup (and to be clear, I don't think Mac would ever think of doing that at this point)
Chicagojayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops