NCAA antitrust settlement

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: NCAA antitrust settlement

Postby Jaybird » Thu May 23, 2024 10:37 pm

LJay wrote:Pretty big loss.

You have to have enough sports to stay D1 but money hogs like a full roster of baseball and softball players may give way to sports with few roster spots. Golf comes to mind of a sport presently in place. Can’t think of a low volume sport that could be added but I’m sure there are some not presently supported by Creighton.

If I’m in sports admin I’m also probably sprucing up my resume.

How many bowlers do you have to have to have bowling? Is there NCAA cornhole or bocce ball?

Chess! How about chess? You get a male chess player, you get a female chess player, boom! You got a chess team. And go buy a chess board at Target so you can have home games and cut down on travel. I was on Creighton's startup cross-country team. That wasn't a sport at Creighton until one day it was. We need creative thinking. Hey, maybe that's a sport.
Jaybird

Postby JayPak » Fri May 31, 2024 12:50 am

College Bowl. Creighton had an intercollegiate college bowl team in the ‘90’s. Regional was always at K-State.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby cu8493 » Fri May 31, 2024 7:36 am

Esports. Only requires some slick gaming set ups and a few subscriptions. No expensive arena or ball field to take care of. Let fans pay a subscription to follow all the action on line. Let the seniors take their game system when they graduate. Could have a virtual senior day. But if you enter the portal to chase big NIL dollars elsewhere, you don’t get to keep your gaming set up.
cu8493

Postby BellevueJay » Fri May 31, 2024 9:09 am

Jaybird wrote:
LJay wrote:Pretty big loss.

You have to have enough sports to stay D1 but money hogs like a full roster of baseball and softball players may give way to sports with few roster spots. Golf comes to mind of a sport presently in place. Can’t think of a low volume sport that could be added but I’m sure there are some not presently supported by Creighton.

If I’m in sports admin I’m also probably sprucing up my resume.

How many bowlers do you have to have to have bowling? Is there NCAA cornhole or bocce ball?

Chess! How about chess? You get a male chess player, you get a female chess player, boom! You got a chess team. And go buy a chess board at Target so you can have home games and cut down on travel. I was on Creighton's startup cross-country team. That wasn't a sport at Creighton until one day it was. We need creative thinking. Hey, maybe that's a sport.

Sadly, Chess and E-Sports are not recognized by the NCAA as sports, so those wouldn't count towards the minimum sport requirement. We could add a swimming team, just need to buy some suites, skull caps and goggles. I'm sure there are local indoor pools they could practice and host a meet (or relay? not sure what swimming competitions are called). Most of the Big East already competes in swimming so wouldn't have to hunt for a conference. Swimming gets 14 scholarships, so it's not too bloated of a roster either.

Adding Beach Volleyball could be an option, have a few of the non-rotation players be the sand volleyball players and compete in that, wouldn't even have to add more scholarship athletes to add another D1 sport, can't imagine it takes too much effort or money to maintain a sand court and could easily be added when building the new baseball/softball fields.

Also, could look at adding "Rifle" as a sport. Plenty of ranges in the area to practice and I'm sure we could "recruit" 30 miles in any direction outside of Omaha/Lincoln and find athletes to compete. Teams are only 5 people, so a very low volume sport.

Lastly bowling is another low volume, female only, sport to add. Plenty of places to go practice and can compete locally to not add much travel costs.

And as a way to generate revenue, schools should push to move volleyball to a second semester sport. When VB is televised, it always draws great numbers, but it's rarely aired since it competes against football. If they move it to the second semester, could put a lot more matches on TV and help TV companies with programming and generating ad revenue which in turn a portion would go back to the schools. Doing so would give us another sport that would finish in the black, which is very much needed for most every school.
BellevueJay

Postby Jaybird » Fri May 31, 2024 12:07 pm

Your volleyball idea sounds inspired. Probably a million reasons why it won't happen, but I like it. You can be on that Creative Thinking team of ours.

We had a swim and dive team at one time. I think they were competitive too. Then the new AD Don Leahy disbanded it. A shame. Might still be some gear laying around, like 40-year old goggles, so our equipment needs would be off to a flying start. Or, swimming start maybe.

I thought about rifle. I even had a paragraph on it, but I deleted it. Our gunners, or markspeople, wouldn't even have to hit anything, as long as they didn't hit the wrong things, I guess. We could even tell 'em, hey, bring your own. You got a rifle? You got ammo? Use that. We'll set up some hay bales, you should be good to go.

Don't we actually have some kind of track team? Or, at least a couple runners who show up at the conference meet each spring?We might already be on our way to those extra sports. Hey, riflers. Never mind.
Jaybird

Postby BellevueJay » Fri May 31, 2024 2:37 pm

Jaybird wrote:Your volleyball idea sounds inspired. Probably a million reasons why it won't happen, but I like it. You can be on that Creative Thinking team of ours.

We had a swim and dive team at one time. I think they were competitive too. Then the new AD Don Leahy disbanded it. A shame. Might still be some gear laying around, like 40-year old goggles, so our equipment needs would be off to a flying start. Or, swimming start maybe.

I thought about rifle. I even had a paragraph on it, but I deleted it. Our gunners, or markspeople, wouldn't even have to hit anything, as long as they didn't hit the wrong things, I guess. We could even tell 'em, hey, bring your own. You got a rifle? You got ammo? Use that. We'll set up some hay bales, you should be good to go.

Don't we actually have some kind of track team? Or, at least a couple runners who show up at the conference meet each spring?We might already be on our way to those extra sports. Hey, riflers. Never mind.

Yes, we just added Track team in the the last 2 years. It's basically the XC Team but now they run long distance races in Track as well.
BellevueJay

Postby Jaybird » Fri May 31, 2024 2:50 pm

BellevueJay wrote:
We could add a swimming team, just need to buy some suites, skull caps and goggles. I'm sure there are local indoor pools they could practice and host a meet (or relay? not sure what swimming competitions are called). Most of the Big East already competes in swimming so wouldn't have to hunt for a conference. Swimming gets 14 scholarships, so it's not too bloated of a roster either.

I say, we skip suites for the swimmers, though. Let 'em get normal hotel rooms like everybody else.
Jaybird

Postby BellevueJay » Fri May 31, 2024 5:08 pm

Jaybird wrote:
BellevueJay wrote:
We could add a swimming team, just need to buy some suites, skull caps and goggles. I'm sure there are local indoor pools they could practice and host a meet (or relay? not sure what swimming competitions are called). Most of the Big East already competes in swimming so wouldn't have to hunt for a conference. Swimming gets 14 scholarships, so it's not too bloated of a roster either.

I say, we skip suites for the swimmers, though. Let 'em get normal hotel rooms like everybody else.

Fair enough, though the few swimmers I know are spoiled and like to be pampered.
BellevueJay

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops