2023-2024 season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2023-2024 season

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:37 pm

SeattleJay wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:With the core set, what’s the rotation?

Who is the #4? Kaluma’s defense, energy and athleticism will be tough to replicate. I don’t believe one guy steps in and replaces his production. Multiple guys could, with some improved shooting (Traudt and Miller) and ability to thrive without being ball dominant (Green). We will miss the things Art brought that no one else can. We won’t miss the moments that were frustrating.

Who is the backup PG? Somebody mentioned staggering the rotation. I endorse that plan. Ashworth and Trey bring the ball up the court most times. Bring in Farabello and Lawson at the #2 when one of those starters is on the bench. Maybe some Baylor at the #2 if we have Kalk and two of three (Green/Traudt/Miller) joining him in front court? Workable.

Will we rebound as well? I don’t think we take a step up in that category. Could be wrong.

Shooting - better. Potentially great, if Ashworth is as advertised, Miller and Traudt step in and Bello remembers what he was. Baylor could shoot better now that he’s used to the high major pace. Trey will improve because Trey will always improve. Plus, Kalk could be intriguing based on his combine video. As the resident Bello fanboy, I’m predicting 40% for him. Let’s get it!

Defense - experience and strength could offset Kaluma’s loss. I do not think we can say Ashworth is a step up over R2. Slight downgrade?

Experience - huge step forward.

Shot creation - worry? When a possession breaks down and we need someone to create on their own, who is it? Trey comes to mind, but no one else does. Not that R2 and Kaluma were great here, but I feel like their replacements are a step back. Prove me wrong!

Depth - I naively thought this was going to be good last year. I was wrong. Again, I think we should be solid this year. Hope I’m not wrong again.

Ball handling - step back. Ashworth isn’t as quick or as natural with the ball as R2. Could Creighton struggle against the press or aggressive on-the-ball defenders? Possibly.

Balance - CU was as balanced as any team in the starting lineup last year. If we could spread the production of Kaluma and R2 with 3-5 players, I think that’s good for the team. Let Baylor, Trey and Kalk be the centerpieces of the offense. Ashworth spreads the defense and makes threes. Bench players do the same. Assume a role and do it well around the core.

Who surprisingly steps up? Green doesn’t get a lot of hype. Does he outperform Miller and Traudt? Does Lawson validate the disappointment of Memphis fans? Are Vice or Knox players? What is Dotzler this season? Can’t wait to find out.

Great analysis and questions.

A few comments: yes, PG is the least deep. Gotta see if Dotzler can help. Otherwise, it could be Bello after Ashworth and Trey.

Starter at the 4 is probably between Traudt and Miller which feels like a step back defensively from Art. However, might be better offensively.

Elsewhere on defense, I expect Lawson to give us a big boost at the backup 2 or 3.

Depth - it feels much deeper this year. Like you, I was fooled last year.

3 point shooting is potentially much better.

That’s all in my humble opinion and based on reading about the new guys rather than seeing them play. To be fair to Green, I haven’t seen him play either.

Traudt and Lawson were both at or near top 50 in their HS class in national rankings.

Pretty exciting.

Fellas, fellas, fellas...worried about PG? I guess it's natural for Jays fans who still shudder at the Mo injury. But R2 played 34.8 minutes a game as a freshman and 34.0 minutes a game this past year. Ashworth played 33.2 for USU. With Trey getting some run at the point, there aren't many minutes left for anyone else. FF proved capable for smaller stretches if fouls are an issue in a particular game. I do worry a little about shot creation for anyone not name Trey but assume improved shooting will help space the floor.

I don't understand the concern expressed in a diff post about potentially redshirting guys. If we have 13 guys on scholie and Mac has a pretty set track record of 9 guys getting meaningful minutes, reshirting seems like a good plan. No idea how many of those incoming are BE ready...but Dotzler strikes me a "play 4 years" guy so why waste one when he may only get 5-6 minutes a game? Freshman under Mac have gotten minutes out of sheer talent or necessity. It doesn't appear the latter will be the case.
Savannah Jay

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:
I'd say Vice is 100% redshirt and Dotzler isn't far behind. We have no need for a freshman point guard barring significant injuries.

No sure I totally agree with this. Lawson is much more of an off-ball wing than a ball-handler from what I've seen. Bello is really the only ball-handler off the bench right now, and I'm not sure how much you want him handling it at the Big East level. Staggering Ashworth and Alexander at the point is likely plan A, but it would be nice to have another option in case of injury, illness, foul trouble or those games throughout the season that aren't tight from wire to wire where you might want to avoid playing those two heavy minutes if you can avoid it. If Dotzler is going to play this season, that's the path for him.
JacobPadilla

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:59 pm

My biggest concern with this team is probably athleticism. Not sure we have a ton of guys on this team that can get us a bucket drivng into the lane. Alexander will be out best bet. Probably wont be seeing too many dunks except from Kalk/King. That being said this team on a paper should be a better 3 point shooting team and with Kalk back should still be pretty good defensively.
Jet915

Postby Eye of the Jay » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 pm

Jet915 wrote:My biggest concern with this team is probably athleticism. Not sure we have a ton of guys on this team that can get us a bucket drivng into the lane. Alexander will be out best bet. Probably wont be seeing too many dunks except from Kalk/King. That being said this team on a paper should be a better 3 point shooting team and with Kalk back should still be pretty good defensively.

I'm not as worried about shot creation as I was the past 2 years. R2 was definitely our best shot creator last season, but even he disappeared at times when our offense stalled. Honestly, everyone in spots 1,2,3,5 should be really good shot creators next year. Baylor proved he could get into the lane and use his Hawkins-esque game to get buckets. Kalk's post-up game developed last year and should develop even more this summer. Ashworth may not get to the rim like R2 did, but I have full faith in his PnR abilities and pull-up game. And of course Trey will have even more tricks in his arsenal next year. Traudt and Miller are the biggest question marks of course, but their size, shooting, and rebounding abilities give me more calm.

My biggest concern is on the defensive end and continuing to not draw turnovers. I do trust Mac in his funnel everything to Kalk, but I'm hoping we don't need to rely on Kalk as much as we did last year because him coming out of the games in big moments were brutal and I really want him to be well-rested for March/April. Hope the staff put King through a ton of defensive development this offseason as he has the tools but just needs the skills.
Eye of the Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:24 pm

Miller is athletic. I want to see more of him take guys off the bounce

it should be even more possible as we might very well be the best shooting team in the country so help defense will be a great way to get burned by Jays O.
cujaysfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Miller might be quick/athletic, but he is small-framed and his ball handling is still TBD. He needs more minutes and more opportunity in the offense to make something happen before we know how much he can do on offense, IMO.

Traudt is another interesting offensive weapon. He had a great face up game at Grand Island. Will that translate? Another playmaking option if so.

Baylor and Trey will have to pick up some of the slack left by R2's departure, and I think they're more than capable. Same with Ashworth, ofx.
Jaysker12

Postby Nolds » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:21 pm

Traudt will be a match up nightmare for most teams. The collegiate game is gravitating daily towards the NBA. The NBA is entirely about match ups. Very few teams will zone us (we will shoot over it) and hardly anyone will be able to match up with Kalk inside, much less have a second 6’9” PF that can D up on Traudt. I agree that Mason Miller needs to be cut loose to play and show what he can do but I salivate over the ability to reverse the ball against extended defenders (out on shooters) and the dump it to the elbow (high/low) or opposite block to Traudt.
Nolds

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:24 am

I think I read somewhere that summer practice starts Monday. Is that right? Is anybody out?
SeattleJay

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:17 pm

Makes sense practice starting soon.

I think our Bahamas trip is in early August.

Going to be a great trip to establish who will play the PF and bench roles.

My goodness I can't wait!
cujaysfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:43 pm

SeattleJay wrote:I think I read somewhere that summer practice starts Monday. Is that right? Is anybody out?

I think Trey said during an interview with 1620 that he's getting back to Omaha on either Sunday or Monday.
JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops