Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Jays26 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm

With that crappy OOC Home schedule they better lower beer prices to get people to show up.

It's a shame when our best home game is Nebr. :shock:
Jays26

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:05 pm

This season's team has a reasonable chance to be a bubble team. Of course, anything could go wrong (or right) to make that point "mute," but if it does come down to CU in the "Last Four In/Out" groupings, this schedule will clearly hurt us. Won't it?
vivid_dude

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Jays26 wrote:With that crappy OOC Home schedule they better lower beer prices to get people to show up.

Technically it isn't. More like Arlington.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Jays26 wrote:With that crappy OOC Home schedule they better lower beer prices to get people to show up.

North Dakota and Yale disagree with you.

I don't know that this OOC schedule hurts bubble/tourney chances -- there are some good OOC games there. They are all away from home. That actually boosts those games -- like Gonzaga and the tourney games -- because they are either road or neutral games. So they are already good games for the resume, but even better away from home. It just sucks that there is really not a single really good home opponent next year.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby HandDownManDown » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 pm

There are some quality bozo teams on there - teams that don't move the needle on viewing but won't kill our RPI.

Which is fine by me.
HandDownManDown

Postby Old MVC Days » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Schedule won't hurt our NCAAT chances. We have some quality away from home games. Just sucks for season ticket holders basically.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:Schedule won't hurt our NCAAT chances. We have some quality away from home games. Just sucks for season ticket holders basically.

Spot on, IMHO. It's basically the same schedule philosophy they had last year -- roughly 1/3 Top 100 opponents (Gonzaga/2 CBE teams/Northwestern), 1/3 teams between 100-200 in the computer rankings (UNL, Yale, UT-Arlington, North Dakota), and 1/3 cupcakes (USC-U, SIU-E, MD-ES, Alcorn) -- it's just that all the "marquee" games are away from Omaha, other than the Skers, so it seems a lot worse.

If they take care of business this is a schedule that sets them up just fine for March. Sucks for those of us who pay a ton of money for season tix and get two months of sub-par games before Big East play, but it won't hurt the team much at all.
WBR Tom

Postby wildjays » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:TV spots interest me.

- At Northwestern on a Wednesday night - BTN written all over it.
- At Gonzaga on a Friday night - ESPN2 written all over it.
- KC tournament - what network are these slated for? They've been on ESPN in past, no?
- UNL is probably BTN
- All the others are FS1 or FS2

And yes, there are a lot of snoozers on the home slate.

The Northwestern game will be either BTN or FS1 per Gavitt release. Butler @ Maryland is the other game between the two slots. I guess it just depends.

No way the Nebraska game is on BTN. Creighton owns the rights to that game and it will be on FS1 however because it is sort of a regional game I could see it being on regionally on FSN too since that will be a busy Saturday for hoops with College Football winding down with the conference championship games the weekend before.

Don't be surprised to see more of the cupcake non-conference games on FS2 or FSN due to the Big 10 being part of the Fox packages this year and more of their games show up on FS1 than the Big East non-conference games.

CBE has bounced around between ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU over the years but interested to see where it will go this year because it is at the same time as Maui, but the CBE is pretty stacked.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby wildjays » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Polyfro wrote:
Old MVC Days wrote:Schedule won't hurt our NCAAT chances. We have some quality away from home games. Just sucks for season ticket holders basically.

Spot on, IMHO. It's basically the same schedule philosophy they had last year -- roughly 1/3 Top 100 opponents (Gonzaga/2 CBE teams/Northwestern), 1/3 teams between 100-200 in the computer rankings (UNL, Yale, UT-Arlington, North Dakota), and 1/3 cupcakes (USC-U, SIU-E, MD-ES, Alcorn) -- it's just that all the "marquee" games are away from Omaha, other than the Skers, so it seems a lot worse.

If they take care of business this is a schedule that sets them up just fine for March. Sucks for those of us who pay a ton of money for season tix and get two months of sub-par games before Big East play, but it won't hurt the team much at all.

I know that the excuse now to schedule the non-conference the way they do is because they have the Big East conference now and that will make up for most things, but honestly the home non-conference schedule hasn't necessarily been helped because they have the Big East vs. the MVC. Going up and down the non-conference slates for the past 10 years, hard to find a game outside of the Oklahoma H/H, which was billed as a series we got because of the Big East, and the Nebraska every other year that had home games against the top conferences or even top mids at the time that wasn't part of some special event. For a school that doesn't have football, the home non-conference games are scheduled like they were a football school. Cal & Airzona St series were OK, but they didn't turn out to be in the top 25 the seasons at the CLink.

That being said, I love the road and neutral games on the slate. The only bad part is that out of all of those, only one of those will be back at the CLink (Gonzaga).

I hope the final game they hit out of the park since it hasn't been announced yet. If it is another D2 game, I'll definitely consider where I spend my money in going to future Creighton games after this season. If power schools are still saying no to a H/H I may sort of still understand, but if the effort isn't being done to get those series set up with the AD on the selection committee the past few years and Creighton hosting the CWS with all of those connections, it is kind of disappointing that the "Big East" caliber team that is being built year after year now isn't being respected to get great series in place. Gonzaga is a step in the right direction, but, I'm greedy and want more. Maybe it needs to be like football where non-conference schedules are set up 10-20 years in advance so no one knows how good the team will really be and then all of a sudden a great series is set to go.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Actually kind of stacking up to be a pretty decent non-conference schedule. Did some digging on the last couple years to see how predictive the years' before RPI of our non-con worked out to be compared to the actual schedule.

2016-17 Predicted Avg. RPI of opponents based on previous season:
0.5056 (avg. RPI of 158)
Actual:
0.5054 (avg. RPI of 155)
Creighton Non-Con SOS - 0.5084 (rank of 150)
-Shows it was very predictive based on the previous season's results of our non-con opponents.

2015-16 Predicted Avg. RPI of opponents based on previous season:
0.500 (avg. RPI of 165)
Actual:
0.482 (avg. RPI of 200)
Creighton Non-Con SOS - 0.4804 (rank of 246)
-Here basically everyone outside of Indiana and Oklahoma underperformed and cost the Jays any chance at a tourney

Now:
2017-18 Predicted Avg. RPI of opponents:
0.5300 (avg. RPI of 131)

Takeaway - this is assuming an average of UCLA, Baylor, Wisky RPI twice in there. As you can see we actually have considerably better predicted avg. opponent RPI this year. Now all of our premier non-con opponents could take a step back, but I don't see an absolutely dreadful non-con like 2015-16 where so many teams declined from the year before.

Basically, we'll be in a similar situation as last year with **maybe** a bit better schedule but still somewhere in the 120-160 range for non-con SOS. Go 10-2 we'll be in good shape for a NCAAT bid. 9-3 bubble territory and 8-4 might as well sign us up for the NIT. Think we can manage this schedule and honestly despite the non-premiere home games it shakes out to be decent for seeding purposes. Just gotta split our road/neutral games and take care of business at home. Don't want to see any Oral Roberts near nightmares again this year!!!

Also, I predict our attendance numbers take a hit this year and we'll be around 15-20 in the country with this non-con schedule. Gotta at least pretend to draw big games for the fans in the fall - otherwise Husker nation is going to take over their time.
Eye of the Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops