Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 am

Wyoming has a different definition of “quality” opponent and is excited by power five officiating. Creighton’s perspective, especially with that god-awful field announces for next year, ought to be very different. Using tents and folding chairs as “locker rooms” and cell phone video is an absolute joke.

On the other hand, as a fan, maybe it just means you have to be there to enjoy it. Wonder what the wife would say ...
Outlaw_Wales

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:43 am

Why do you ladies have your panties in such a bunch over this? Illinois St, Georgia, Clemson and the A-10 Bonnies isn't that bad of a field. I'm sure the players will have no problem going to the Cayman Islands to play some hoops. Oh Lord...no TV for 2 or 3 games!
TrueBlueJay

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:Why do you ladies have your panties in such a bunch over this? Illinois St, Georgia, Clemson and the A-10 Bonnies isn't that bad of a field. I'm sure the players will have no problem going to the Cayman Islands to play some hoops. Oh Lord...no TV for 2 or 3 games!

Because the whole point of these tournaments is to play resume building games on a national platform, and participating in this tournament accomplishes neither?
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:Why do you ladies have your panties in such a bunch over this? Illinois St, Georgia, Clemson and the A-10 Bonnies isn't that bad of a field. I'm sure the players will have no problem going to the Cayman Islands to play some hoops. Oh Lord...no TV for 2 or 3 games!

Because the whole point of these tournaments is to play resume building games on a national platform, and participating in this tournament accomplishes neither?

Apparently fans aren't allowed to be critical of anything associated with the program without being accused of having "panties in a bunch."

Some fans seem to have taken the approach that because we get to play the likes of Nova, X, G'Town, Providence, Seton Hall in conference play, it's perfectly fine if we just play lousy teams in the nonconference, play in a rinky-dink tournament that does nothing for the resume, does nothing for the fans, etc. Hey, the players might get to go to the beach while they are there and none of the fans shelling out to support the team get to watch, so who really cares, right?

To me the biggest issue is that if you look at other teams in our conference, you see them consistently getting into tournaments every year with meaningful fields. We did it this year, but other than that we've had pretty lousy tournament fields since joining the Big East. Our nonconference schedule this year should be more the norm than the exception. But I guess getting to play St. Bonaventure and Illinois State in front of 20 or 30 people while nobody can watch is pretty exciting and acceptable to some.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cu8493 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 am

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. We needed resume building wins when we were in the MVC. Now, we of course need to avoid bad losses, but we will get our resume building wins in conference play and a couple of nonconference games. That is pretty much how others in the league do it. We will have enough resume building wins to get where we need to be if we take care of business. Having said that, I would much rather have a couple of home and homes against "name" opponents that I can go watch in person instead of on t.v. at some tournament. My bigger whine is having an overall higher level of competition coming into Centurylink. I understand the economics of it, just wish it were different in that aspect.
cu8493

Postby Panhandle Jay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 am

The Fyre Festival of nonconference basketball tournaments, LOL!

What in the actual F is Ras and Mac thinking getting into this thing? Was the Metro Holiday tournament at Ralston Arena full?

Good location as far as vacation destination I guess. Maybe they're thinking, "this tournament is for us, not for the fans" this year?
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 am

i'd be down for a 2/1 with WYoming

driveable from Denver - was a fun one about 12+ years ago with the funk/deren/dabbert era team

won that one - but was solid game - great fans - fun atmosphere
cujaysfan

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 pm

The one hard and fast rule we should have with any MTE is that there must be TV coverage. I get that it can be hard to predict from year to year what schools will be up and down, but we should be able to know whether the goddamn thing is on TV or not when we sign on!

I truly cannot believe that with the crowds we bring to Vegas tourneys and to KC this year, we cannot get more consistently good invites.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby BoarCommaThe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Xavier is in Maui next year. One day I would love to get that invite. Look at the crowd Marquette brought there this year. We could do that no problem!
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:57 pm

i don't know how the other Jebbie schools do with recruiting students from Hawaii

but there is a sizable contingent of CU Hawaiian grads - we'd probably have a heckuva crowd at a Hawaii tourney with just the locals
cujaysfan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops