Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby section202jay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 pm

cujaysfan wrote:i'd be down for a 2/1 with WYoming

driveable from Denver - was a fun one about 12+ years ago with the funk/deren/dabbert era team

won that one - but was solid game - great fans - fun atmosphere

I agree. I want more games against MWC opponents. The teams are typically offensive minded and provide entertaining games.
section202jay

Postby Bluejoe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:09 pm

We have done two Hawaii tourneys that I can remember. One around 1998, and then one maybe 8 years ago. But they were on Oahu, not the Maui one. Most of our alumni base and students come from Oahu, yet would easily take the trip to Maui to support the team.

And, no other school beside USC and maybe a few other CA schools would draw the fan base there that we would. Marquette has probably less total students from Hawaii at their University than we draw yearly from a single high school out there.
Bluejoe

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Bluejoe wrote:We have done two Hawaii tourneys that I can remember. One around 1998, and then one maybe 8 years ago. But they were on Oahu, not the Maui one. Most of our alumni base and students come from Oahu, yet would easily take the trip to Maui to support the team.

And, no other school beside USC and maybe a few other CA schools would draw the fan base there that we would. Marquette has probably less total students from Hawaii at their University than we draw yearly from a single high school out there.

Good memory! I looked in the media guide and CU's been to Hawaii four times. 1987 Rainbow Classic (where we got destroyed by one of Tarkanian's UNLV squads), 1995 Nike Festival in Honolulu (losses to Nevada and Hawaii), 1999 Nike Classic (same event, different name, two wins over Western Illinois and FAU, then another loss to Hawaii) in Honolulu, and 2006 Rainbow Classic on Oahu (wins over Valpo and Houston, and yet another loss to Hawaii).
WBR Tom

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:04 pm

I’m sure that Willis and Benoit went to Hawaii over the Christmas holiday in 1984-85. I think there were games on Maui and Oahu
Durango Jay

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Durango Jay wrote:I’m sure that Willis and Benoit went to Hawaii over the Christmas holiday in 1984-85. I think there were games on Maui and Oahu

They did, but it wasn't a tourney -- they did a tour of the islands and played four games in five days, all wins (vs Hawaii-Hilo, Hawaii, Chaminade, and BYU-Hawaii). All those non-exempt road games meant they only had six non-conference home games that year. That '84-85 team had such an odd schedule all the way around, really. Three of the six home games were against UNK, UNO, and UNL. Then there were two against non-DI teams (Regis and Briar Cliff). And then Notre Dame.
WBR Tom

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Wow! That is crazy.
Durango Jay

Postby cu8493 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Didn't we have a big red headed kid from Hawaii who got booted after that trip for procuring weed while on the trip?
cu8493

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:02 pm

cu8493 wrote:Didn't we have a big red headed kid from Hawaii who got booted after that trip for procuring weed while on the trip?

Francis Fletcher. Why can I remember that and forget my anniversary?
Wizard of Westroads

Postby RVB » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:38 am

Shatel: Nebraska-Creighton hoops rivalry should withstand leagues increasing conference games

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-nebr ... 146b3.html
RVB

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Interesting suggestion here from an Iowa-focused site on how to fix the HyVee Classic's "Drake problem": expand it to bring in a rotating cast of regional powers to play Iowa instead, with Mizzou, K-State, and Creighton mentioned. Then bring in a lower-level regional team to play Drake in a third game they might actually be able to win, with UNO among the teams mentioned.

(For context, this is an annual event where Iowa and Iowa State take turns playing UNI and Drake in a double-header every other year in Des Moines because UI and ISU didn't want to play true road games at UNI and Drake anymore; the problem is that Drake sucks and isn't competitive, so interest in the event is waning.)

I'd be all for it. Those neutral site games in D.M. against Iowa and Iowa State were fun. (Well, the Iowa State one was fun up until the last few seconds anyway).

WBR Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops