Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Panhandle Jay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 am

Realhoops wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-men-s-basketball-committee-redefines-quality-win

This wasn't announced prior to scheduled this year - but it's relevant to assessing the overall schedule and its quality.

So does this mean our shit home schedule harms us?
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby HandDownManDown » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 am

We don't have a shit home schedule, we have a home schedule that doesn't slake some people's thirst for a recognizable name on the front of our opponents' jerseys. That's not the same thing.

What we do have is three teams whose quality might net us more than a fourth column win, if you go by that new NCAA chart: Yale, Arlington, and possibly NoDak. I'll wager that is more than a lot of so called power schools have.

I'm likely one of the few but when I saw those three games I was like, those are pretty decent games. I felt the same way about Akron last year: those types of games should be a priority.

The problem here is not the home schedule, it's people's perception of it, and what they feel they 'deserve' (which is nonsense). Which is why they are pissed and I'm pretty happy, since what I want is a schedule that maximizes our opportunities seasonlong, regardless of what the hell their jerseys say.
HandDownManDown

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 am

Panhandle Jay wrote:
Realhoops wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-men-s-basketball-committee-redefines-quality-win

This wasn't announced prior to scheduled this year - but it's relevant to assessing the overall schedule and its quality.

So does this mean our shit home schedule harms us?

No, it means they're now placing greater emphasis on road games -- so it's a great thing for the Jays given how this year's schedule shook out. Having the Gonzaga/NW contests as true roadies should help the Jays this year on Selection Sunday.
WBR Tom

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

HandDownManDown wrote:I'm likely one of the few but when I saw those three games I was like, those are pretty decent games.

I'm glad you are recognizing we have THREE "pretty decent" home games in the non-con. Hence, the home schedule sucks.

I'm not convincing you that it is bad, and you aren't convincing me it is good. I'll bow out of this conversation.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Panhandle Jay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:We don't have a shit home schedule, we have a home schedule that doesn't slake some people's thirst for a recognizable name on the front of our opponents' jerseys. That's not the same thing.

What we do have is three teams whose quality might net us more than a fourth column win, if you go by that new NCAA chart: Yale, Arlington, and possibly NoDak. I'll wager that is more than a lot of so called power schools have.

I'm likely one of the few but when I saw those three games I was like, those are pretty decent games. I felt the same way about Akron last year: those types of games should be a priority.

The problem here is not the home schedule, it's people's perception of it, and what they feel they 'deserve' (which is nonsense). Which is why they are pissed and I'm pretty happy, since what I want is a schedule that maximizes our opportunities seasonlong, regardless of what the hell their jerseys say.

I think you're confusing decent teams and crap teams. I too liked the Akron and Buffalo games last year. We need more of those, which we have in Arlington and Yale and I guess UNL to some extent lol. But it sucks when these teams are the highlight of the non-con home schedule.

But we have even more cupcakes this year I feel like; Alcorn, SIUE, South Carolina Upstate, Maryland Eastern Shore and most likely a D2 opponent or something in January.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby LJay » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

For some here, I wonder if you enjoyed the Villanova atmoshere last year versus the UMKC atmoshere?

This isn't Wichita where the fans bring it for Upstate U. Name on jersey matters in Omaha whether you like it or not.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Old MVC Days » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:38 pm

LJay wrote:For some here, I wonder if you enjoyed the Villanova atmosphere last year versus the UMKC atmosphere?

This isn't Wichita where the fans bring it for Upstate U. Name on jersey matters in Omaha whether you like it or not.

I am disappointed a little in the way the fan atmosphere has trended. Last year was probably the worst year I can remember for the feel of a generic home game. I think we are spoiled now though. Teams like DePaul no longer get us excited when in the Valley days it was quite thrilling to be playing a Big East team of any sort.

Next year will automatically be better at home since we'll get Gonzaga.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby ZMagic30 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:11 pm

The quality of the program has also greatly increased, as well as the quality of conference competition. The home noncon schedule isn't exciting - at all. However, although it's disappointing, the noncon schedule doesn't have to be completely stacked now that we're in a conference like the Big East. The disappointment is entirely superficial. It might not be the most enticing home slate for fans, but it probably gives the Jays the best chance to have a decent resume at the end of the year - ESPECIALLY if away games are now valued over home games. And are we so soon to forget that this is a program that lost at North Texas AND Loyola Chicago within the past few years? I'll take the easy home games and the pretty loaded neutral/away noncon schedule.
ZMagic30

Postby sarp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Ras was simply brilliant, schedule great road games, and then base tourney wins on road games.
sarp

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 am

It is funny how thing have changed. In the MVC days, we got so excited about the noncon because those were almost make or break games and the conference season was rather unexciting save a game or two. Now, in a lot of ways, it seems like the noncon is just an appetizer for the conference season.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops