Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Nord wrote:I predict Wake Forest and Ole Miss along with NC Central. Now if it becomes Notre Dame, Kentucky and Wichita State, then I will book a flight.

Ugh...sometimes I wonder who's in charge of Creighton scheduling. Honestly, we need to get better at setting up good non-conference games. X went to UNI this year. Nova always has the Philly roundtable. We need to get semi-decent competition + 3/4 cupcakes. This year we had 5 cupcakes + Yale who turned out to be a sub-200 RPI team. That's half of our non-conference schedule that is made up of snoozefests that drag down our ratings.

Doug's junior and senior season we had a nonconference KenPom rating of 113 and 122.

Since then NC KenPom SOS:

I'm sure the RPI non-con numbers are similar. Look I'm not saying we should be gunning to play the toughest non-con schedule, but scheduling better quality tournaments and not taking a multitude of buy games against sub-200 competition is paramount to getting out of the 6-7-8-9 seed range where making the second weekend is improbable to the 3-4-5 range where we can get more favorable matchups and locations (hopefully). There is variation in scheduling obviously, but there is also using analytics to predict where a team will land and see how your non-conference schedule will forecast out. Creighton is full of smart, educated individuals, so it boggles my mind how scheduling so poorly is still happening in 2018 with all the resources we have. Develop a better non-con strategy!
Eye of the Jay

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm

This is another Maury Hanks Jam, meaning per usual with his events it contains two home games against the dregs of D1 before heading down to the Caymans. This year, the four possible opponents were Alabama State, Jacksonville State, UT-Chattanooga, and Savannah State. That's OK if the main tournament is full of good opponents -- you're going to have a couple of bottom-feeders on the home slate anyway, so at least this way Hanks is footing the bill to bring them here. But the main event field doesn't do much to make those games worth it at the moment.
WBR Tom

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

I'd bet on a better home noncon, at the least. They don't release season ticket sales, but they're way down this year, undoubtedly due to the crap nonconference games. Attendance overall is down as a result, and some of the early noncon crowds were among the worst since we joined the BE. They lost some serious money with that home schedule.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby wildjays » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Nord wrote:I predict Wake Forest and Ole Miss along with NC Central. Now if it becomes Notre Dame, Kentucky and Wichita State, then I will book a flight.

It is likely Clemson, Georgia and probably some other mid
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Old MVC Days » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I'd bet on a better home noncon, at the least. They don't release season ticket sales, but they're way down this year, undoubtedly due to the crap nonconference games. Attendance overall is down as a result, and some of the early noncon crowds were among the worst since we joined the BE. They lost some serious money with that home schedule.

I hope you are correct. We do get Gonzaga at home next season. Maybe a Gavitt Games home game. Couple those two with maybe games against Clemson and Georgia. Not terrible as long as you throw out the absolute garbage 300+ teams. Hell, get some more Big Sky teams to replace those SWAC/MEAC teams. At least UND is #217 in the RPI.

There are 351 division 1 teams. We played three teams worse than #336 in the RPI (Alcorn, UMES and Upstate) this season.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby LJay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:55 pm

We must be on the block for a bye in the Gavitt Games. Hope not but we haven’t been bypassed yet.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby vjay » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Gavitt Games only stipulates that each Big East team participate at least 6 times during the 8-year period. That doesn't mean that a team couldn't play all 8 years of the agreement.

With that being said, I'm with LJay on this one... I'd think we'd be due to not have a Gavitt Games matchup next season.
vjay

Postby jays911 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 pm

We do have Oklahoma away next year.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby Jet915 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 am

jays911 wrote:We do have Oklahoma away next year.

This is news to me....
Jet915

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 am

Jet915 wrote:
jays911 wrote:We do have Oklahoma away next year.

This is news to me....

This is news to everyone. Don’t think there has been any report of the sort. It’s not listed on the WBR 2018-19 schedule news, either.
Outlaw_Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops