Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby WBR Tom » Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 am

BoarCommaThe wrote:Polyfro, don't you mean mute, not moot?

Yes, my bad. It's a mute point, your wright.

:lol: :D :lol:
WBR Tom

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon May 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Polyfro wrote:
T-bone wrote:
section221jay wrote:Can't say I disagree with Dirk all that much. The position that CU will not do a 1 and done because "you lose your bargaining chip" is kind of pointless. Kansas will NEVER come to Omaha to play Creighton. So there is nothing to negotiate.

I see mention that KU laughed at CU when they asked for "a game". Given McDermott's position of not doing 1 and dones am I safe to assume he proposed a home and home? If so, of course they laughed. The fact CU can get home and homes with Northwestern or Cal or Nebraska is not proof that that negotiating position (no 1 and dones) is an effective one.

If you want to schedule the REAL big boys you're going to have to do it on their terms. They get a dozen big games in conference every year. They can schedule each other in big OOC games...either neutral site or home and homes. They are never going to do a home and home with Creighton...so saying it's a bargaining chip is not true. They don't need it. I'm not saying do it often. Not saying do it every year. I'm saying though that it would not be a bad idea at all to do it once a year for the next couple years...these next two years are important if CU is going to break through into one of those other "tiers" that Dirk came up with. To get on the map for real CU is going to have to do more than win a ton of games against Indiana State, UAB, Alcon State etc. that the nation generally yawns at. CU needs to beat someone big. Taking a chance on a 1 and done has no downside. It doesn't hurt future scheduling. Doesn't hurt post season chances. And has a lot of upside.

You assume the chip is with the KUs of the world. It is with the Cal and northwesterns

Right. Take the hypothetical buy game with Kansas, and home-and-home possibilities with Cal and Northwestern go bye-bye. That's the bargaining chip they're talking about. In any event, Kansas laughed in our face when we offered to come play them in a one-and-done in Lawrence, so all of this is a moot point...fun to discuss, but moot nonetheless.

I differ on this point.

Nebraska, Northwestern, and (up & coming Cal)...are games we can get most any year...and because they are generally bottom dwellers they are/were not a big help to
our SOS/RPI. We played Nebr, Iowa (neutral), and Northwestern this past season - and still only got an 8-seed in the dance. KU and/or a truly Top Tier BCSer (UK, UNC, Duke, UCLA) aside, we should take a one and done this year, and perhaps next year...

If we can get a ranked AZ or Baylor on our schedule, we should do so to bolster our SOS/RPI and aid in getting a better seed come March 2013 - for the dance.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby CUJay » Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 pm

The problem with this analysis is that, in college basketball, the home team wins 75%+ of the time. I believe it is the sport with the biggest home court advantage. You can take the team on the road to play against the big boys, but if you are consistently playing one-off road games against Top 25-caliber teams, it will be a losing proposition in the long run...
CUJay

Postby PorkTornado » Mon May 14, 2012 1:49 pm

WSU played a buy game with Syracuse in 2006 and hasn't had a BCS school play in their gym since (LSU returned a game as part of an already scheduled series). Is this what you people want? The Jays are doing it right. Gonzaga has to play these buy games because their conference is so terrible. Only twice since 2000 has their SOS been sub 100.
"I know words, I have the best words."
PorkTornado

Postby AttyAlum » Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Honestly, I'm done with the schedule bitching with respect to McDermott. What pisses me off the most is the implication by Chatelain that this staff isn't even trying.

Altman said we couldn't get any BCS schools (outside of Nebraska) to give us home and homes. McDermott has already booked two home and homes (Northwestern and Cal). That shows me that this staff is trying. And succeeding. Further, the home and homes they added with UAB and Tulsa all looked really solid at the time. It isn't Mcdermott's fault those teams started sucking.

The key to getting good noncon matchups is TV. ESPN has a part in scheduling these games. If they don't want to get involved, with us, I fail to see how that is our fault.

Oh yeah, Danny's right - Dirk is a clown.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby TBC Alum » Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm bothered by the small mindedness of the OWH. Just like Oscar, Dirk is trying to get a rise out of CU fans ... and he has.

To me, the real pot-stirrer would be to take the position several here have raised. Go after the Big Six schools and ask why they don't schedule worth a crap. They could use the same shoddy journalism and faulted reasoning. If they had the balls to stir that pot, I assure you they would get a rise out of a group much larger than CU fans.
TBC Alum

Postby Trifecta » Mon May 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Maybe as a companion piece, Dirk could call up Barry Hinson over at Southern Illinois and ask him about HIS efforts to schedule buy games while at SMS,as well as see the other side from his time at KU. Didnt Tom Penders say that an MVC school couldnt get the ball across half court against his teams? Unless my memory fails me, Barry called him out on his bullshit and Penders refused to play them. Didnt they also play a buy game at Arkansas the year they were snubbed from the tourney with the highest RPI ever?
Trifecta

Postby LynchMob » Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm

CUJay wrote:The problem with this analysis is that, in college basketball, the home team wins 75%+ of the time. I believe it is the sport with the biggest home court advantage. You can take the team on the road to play against the big boys, but if you are consistently playing one-off road games against Top 25-caliber teams, it will be a losing proposition in the long run...

That stat has way too much noise in it - the really bad teams basically don't play any home games until conference season, while the good BCS teams play all home games against the worst teams. Conference home/away records are much closer, although it still might be a big advantage.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Bluejay Bilas » Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Bluejay Bilas

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

K St and Zags agree on 2 year, Neutral Court games.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2608

What is the likelihood of the MVC/MWC Offices (Commish's) intervene
for the best interests of both conferences? Swap opponents in favor of a
UNLV v CU game?

UNLV is scheduled for a home game (played @ Wichita St last season)
Perhaps New Mexico or another game with SDSU?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops