Future Schedules

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Future Schedules

Postby Jaybird » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
Jet915 wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Officially in the cayman islands with Clemson, Georgia, Bonnie's, Boise State, Akron, Georgia state and Illinois state

ill be watching from the webcam assuming they have one.....

...and it actually works....

Longtime promoter Maury Hanks has announced two sweeping changes connected to this year's tournament.

"We know not all fans can travel with their team to the Caymans, but fans everywhere will want to follow their team through every modern means possible. Therefore, in order to capture every important moment of game action, I'm bringing in a crack team of courtroom sketch artists who will transmit their striking images back to the States, as soon as their drawings dry and they can be loaded onto steamships headed back to the mainland".

"Not only that", he continued, "Fans have my commitment that, in a departure from previous tournaments I've run, stats and other important information will be instantly transmitted and that, this year, we will be using the telegraph, seeing as how preliminary test runs for my first choice, Pony Express, were not as successful as we had hoped". "I promise", Hanks summarized, "We will bring to fans of these eight schools the ultimate in 19th century technology."

Concluding on a personal note, Hanks said "As I've often told President Taft, times change and we must learn to change with them".
Jaybird

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 pm

While I'm not thrilled we're in another Maury tournament, it is probably a good fit for how young we are. Hopefully will give the guys a chance to bond down there and get some wins. Overall, not a bad field:
Ken Pom ratings:
Clemson 14
Boise St. 61
Georgia 65
St. Bonaventure 68
Georgia St. 101
Illinois St. 140
Akron 255

If we draw anyone but Akron first round I'll be happy. Tourney also has preliminary games I think, so not looking forward to those, but hopefully the scheduling dept. plans less additional cupcakes after last season's non-con home slate.
Eye of the Jay

Postby LynchMob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 am

Eye of the Jay wrote:If we draw anyone but Akron first round I'll be happy.

Akron was top-150 the past four years before 2017-18, and top 100 the last two of those. Anyone know why they fell off so hard this past year, and if they might be due for an upswing?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby LJay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:54 am

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status ... 89920?s=21

Jays hosting Montana this year. Is that Fish’s team?
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Helmzy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 am

LJay wrote:https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/986562484625489920?s=21

Jays hosting Montana this year. Is that Fish’s team?

No that’s Montana St..
Helmzy

Postby AttyAlum » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 am

LynchMob wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:If we draw anyone but Akron first round I'll be happy.

Akron was top-150 the past four years before 2017-18, and top 100 the last two of those. Anyone know why they fell off so hard this past year, and if they might be due for an upswing?

Akron's previous coach, Keith Dambrot, left for Duquesne after the 2017 season. Dambrot's claim to fame is that he was LeBron's HS coach. To his credit, there are signs he is on the way to turning Duquesne around.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:While I'm not thrilled we're in another Maury tournament, it is probably a good fit for how young we are. Hopefully will give the guys a chance to bond down there and get some wins. Overall, not a bad field:
Ken Pom ratings:
Clemson 14
Boise St. 61
Georgia 65
St. Bonaventure 68
Georgia St. 101
Illinois St. 140
Akron 255

If we draw anyone but Akron first round I'll be happy. Tourney also has preliminary games I think, so not looking forward to those, but hopefully the scheduling dept. plans less additional cupcakes after last season's non-con home slate.

It's a 8-team field and play 3 games in-tourney. There are no "preliminary" games in this tourney.

LE: However, Maury and Co do not have the schedules posted on the site. So perhaps there will be a prelim game? http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Eye of the Jay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:22 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
It's a 8-team field and play 3 games in-tourney. There are no "preliminary" games in this tourney.

Good. I hope you're right. I know Iowa had 2 preliminary games from that tournament against awful Grambling State and Alabama State. That might have just been school-specific though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands_Classic

Really happy about the Montana news. They were 74 in KenPom last year and only graduated one senior. These are the types of games that are smart to host and allow for more breathing room come Selection Sunday.
Eye of the Jay

Postby Realhoops » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Last year this tournament had each of the eight teams play one home game before the tournament, against junior high teams who weren’t part of the bracket in the Caymans - Iowa got Alabama State and won by 40. Then the eight teams went to the Caymans and played the bracket.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/6/1 ... unced.aspx
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby wildjays » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Realhoops wrote:Last year this tournament had each of the eight teams play one home game before the tournament, against junior high teams who weren’t part of the bracket in the Caymans - Iowa got Alabama State and won by 40. Then the eight teams went to the Caymans and played the bracket.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/6/1 ... unced.aspx

A lot of these bracket tourneys there is a 4th non-bracket game the teams can play against one of the other teams in the bracket (that usually leads to the beginning of a H/H series -- Xavier and UNI did that a couple years ago), a prelim (mainland) game against a lower D-1 team not in the bracket (like Maui or Battle 4 Atlantis), or even a 4th throwaway game against a non-D1 team.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops