NIL

Postby jays911 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 am

And so it goes: [link]

$5 Million/year
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Re: NIL

Postby LJay » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 am

I would think a majority of that goes to football (didn’t read the article). But yeah, it would be nice if Warren stepped up and endowed the CU NIL pool!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby JayPharmAlum » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am

I would think shareholders would have an issue with this. Basically zero return on millions of dollars.
JayPharmAlum

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

JayPharmAlum wrote:I would think shareholders would have an issue with this. Basically zero return on millions of dollars.

Somebody should challenge Warren to do it from his personal wealth. No investor brushback! Not a chance. He doesn't strike me as one who would do something like this, personally or corporately.

In another thread, someone mentioned Union Pacific. How about Kiewit? Mutual of Omaha? Werner? Omaha Steaks? Dinkers could probably throw a cool $10 million into the pot.

The problem with any of these scenarios? Those damn Huskers. If a Nebraska-HQ'ed private corporation made any investment in Creighton, the 'Skers faithful would invoke guerilla-style cancel culture tactics against it with reckless abandon. Sorry, Jerry Ryan's Clothing & Sporstwear. It's all up to you.
vivid_dude

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 am

JayPharmAlum wrote:I would think shareholders would have an issue with this. Basically zero return on millions of dollars.

I was a senior exec for one of the biggest companies in the world and it’s not unusual for big businesses to support charity. Some companies are definitely more generous than others and the charities that are supported can cause controversy. So companies tend to be careful about who they give to.

With that said, a big company supporting one University’s NIL collective seems pretty extreme to me. Just my opinion though….
SeattleJay

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

Is it against NCAA rules to sell advertising on jerseys like you see in soccer or int'l basketball?

Cuz that's where this is headed.
cujaysfan

Postby Jay09 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

NIL collectives aren’t charity-they are for profit business ventures from what I have seen.
Jay09

Postby go_jays » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm

Anybody that didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention.
go_jays

Postby AttyAlum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:42 pm

go_jays wrote:Anybody that didn't see this coming wasn't paying attention.

Yup. I recall having an argument with someone on this board or the other one back when NIL started. He swore up and down that the money could only be used for name, image and likeness and that the kids deserved it. I replied with, “okay, I’m a booster and I want to give a kid $300k. I’m sure I’ll be able to do it. What if I just tell the kid to give me an autographed basketball and I give him the check. We say I’m paying for his autograph for my collection.” I was told this could never happen because it wouldn’t look legit. Please. And this was before collectives!

I read Barry Switzer’s book once. He talked about the days when college kids could have jobs. He said he hired his players to babysit his kids. The key: he paid them $100 an hour. In the 1970s. He also talked about kids getting paid obscene amounts to water the grass in the summer. All these shady situations led the NCAA to restrict D1 kids from having jobs, even in the offseason.

It’s all a joke and anyone who never thought it would happen is naive or clueless. Or both.
Last edited by AttyAlum on Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 pm

It was the other board and it was the guy who runs that board.

I made the same argument, he made the same ones you described, and I just about caused him to have a seizure every time I brought it up because he was so 100 percent sold on the structure being fleshed out his way that he couldn’t see the forest for the trees on the subject.
HandDownManDown

Next

Return to Men's Hoops