End of Gavitt Games ?

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

End of Gavitt Games ?

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:56 am

Rothstein tweeted / x'ed out over the weekend the following:

NEWS: The Gavitt Games will not be played during the 2024-25 season and while beyond that is uncertain, the future of the event is doubtful as of today, according to a source.

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/17162 ... 01979?s=20
Outlaw_Wales

Re: End of Gavitt Games ?

Postby Bluelulu » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:12 pm

This doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve always looked at these games as another non conference games. We maybe even get more flexibility to schedule an opponent of our choosing depending on our needs for that year.
Bluelulu

Postby go_jays » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Bluelulu wrote:This doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve always looked at these games as another non conference games. We maybe even get more flexibility to schedule an opponent of our choosing depending on our needs for that year.

Circumstances sure have changed dramatically for us... for the better in this regard... even over just the past couple of years
go_jays

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:44 pm

I am not completely sad, but I do watch a ton of Big 10 basketball and like the opportunity to play some of the schools, especially since most of them have huge fan bases and that means more exposure for CU.
skinzfan23

Postby go_jays » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:52 pm

But we actually have more freedom to pick the opponent, time and place now. And I don't think we'll have any problems getting really good programs to want to play us now. Which, obviously, wasn't the case before our recent success and climb in the polls. And we're in a conference now that we shouldn't be a flash in the pan either. Before our entry into the BE, really could never have even dreamed of being in the situation we are now. That's the point I was making in the above post.
go_jays

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:27 pm

In coverage of the Gavitt Games' ending, CU is described by Adam Zagoria on NJ.com as one of the league's "heavy hitters" -- what a time to be alive.

(I mean, it's true, but having the east coast media acknowledge it as such is wild.)
WBR Tom

Postby go_jays » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Although Alabama is not necessarily a blue-blood... they've had some pretty good recent success... And we were able to get them to come to Omaha? That would not have happened even a couple years ago.

My hope is that eventually, Kansas will come down off their high horse and admit to the fact that they need to play us Home and Away now.

That would ABSOLUTELY MAKE MY DAY... week, month, year and maybe even my lifetime. :o
go_jays

Postby Django » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:00 pm

Agree with others that we have more freedom to schedule other power teams, like Alabama and other SEC teams.
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby TBC Alum » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:21 am

go_jays wrote:
My hope is that eventually, Kansas will come down off their high horse and admit to the fact that they need to play us Home and Away now.

I always thought a home, away and neutral in KC would be attractive to them
TBC Alum

Postby Durango Jay » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:54 am

Put a fork in it. The Gavitt Games are done says Val.
https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/10/big-e ... ament.html
Durango Jay

Next

Return to Men's Hoops