Transfer Portal...

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Transfer Portal...

Postby go_jays » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:04 pm

And my thoughts on how transfers should go or not go. Have been coaching at all levels... Semi-Pro down to Elite U9s... High School, College, Club, you name it, for 38 years. I think I have a pretty good handle on players "transferring" whether it be a youth team, a club team, a high school team, college team, a professional wanting a trade or looking at free agency. It's all the same, although money puts a different slant on everything there. So, with that in mind...

There are 3 parts to examining why a player would want to "transfer"

1) The player has a problem he/she needs to work on
2) The environment they are in is a problem
3) A combination of both

Very often, the player (or parent(s) in the case of youth) will immediately point to the environment as being the problem. Of course, it's not them. They, or their son or daughter, are the next coming of Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Lionel Messi... you get it. So, if a player is failing and or flailing, it will likely be either the coach's fault or the rest of the team's fault. Everyone and everything but themselves. So they will remove themselves, or their child, from the situation/environment.

This is very bad. For 2 reasons. 1) It will relieve them of all accountability. So they will never learn how to be accountable for their actions. 2) They will be robbed of the opportunity to learn how to overcome adversity. Something that everyone needs to learn in this life in order to deal with the many adversities they will see in their lifetime.

So, what's the answer? A sit down. 2 sides willing to offer their thoughts and decide as to what the problem(s) really is. As the old saying goes, it take 2 to Tango. And very often it's a combination of 1 AND 2. So, very often it's a player making an adjustment, and whoever's in charge of the environment making an adjustment... that being the Head Coach.

I write this because I know there are a lot of parents out there that are experiencing this to some degree or another... coaches as well. And my experience has been that many times, things can be worked out. But I also know that there are times where they can't. And a "transfer" is in the best interests of all involved.

But my hope is that those thinking about "transferring", will think twice about it. Do some real soul-searching and try to identify where the problem(s) really lie. Then make the decision. Don't make it a knee-jerk reaction. Otherwise, it's just running away from a problem. And problems don't ever go away when you do that.

Thanks for reading. If it helps one person...

P.S. If a player is transferring because they want to play at as high a level as they can and the current environment is not providing that... then YES, by all means a transfer is in order!
go_jays

Re: Transfer Portal...

Postby Venturajay » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:20 pm

The portal is nuts and dudes now should apply for frequent mile cards back in high school, for example Brandon Murray at Georgetown is on the move again, Junior year in High School Maryland, Senior Year in High School IMG Academy in Fl. Frosh year at LSU, Soph year at Gtown, and Junior year in the portal again. Five states in five years, I am impressed at such a young age the kid is so adaptable.
Venturajay

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:30 am

Venturajay wrote:The portal is nuts and dudes now should apply for frequent mile cards back in high school, for example Brandon Murray at Georgetown is on the move again, Junior year in High School Maryland, Senior Year in High School IMG Academy in Fl. Frosh year at LSU, Soph year at Gtown, and Junior year in the portal again. Five states in five years, I am impressed at such a young age the kid is so adaptable.

Or another view would be that he is incapable of adapting, therefore he moves on ...
thatoneguy

Postby D Jay Fan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:52 am

Do those in the Portal end up signing a letter of intent? Has Traudt already committed that he can't change his mind. If we get a pg and then someone leaves, can the pg change his mind and decide this team isn't what I was promised? If we were to lose Kalk, I would think twice about coming to CU. And if we lost 4 of 5 starters then what did I 'sign' up for.
D Jay Fan

Postby Altmanforprez » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:54 am

Yes, they sign pretty much immediately on commitment

https://twitter.com/BluejayMBB/status/1 ... 17189?s=20
Altmanforprez

Postby go_jays » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:36 pm

Traudt's looking pretty buff in that photo. That has to be a recent photo, right? Not one of the shots they took when he was being recruited.
go_jays

Postby Angry Dan » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:36 am

He made the best of his redshirt year to build himself up. This is a great addition to the team in so many ways.
Angry Dan

Postby go_jays » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:41 pm

He certainly passes the eyeball test for a 6-10 player. If Art stays, I could see him playing the 3 now. That would give us some more physicality against teams like SDSU. I could also see Baylor playing the 2 and Trey at PG. That's some serious size now if Miller and Traudt can handle the 4. We would be a better match up against physical teams. This is assuming we don't find a PG to come in and replace R2.

7-1
6-9/6-10
6-7
6-7
6-4 (I say 6-5)
go_jays

Postby Jaysker12 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:57 pm

Let's not get ahead of ourselves gents...just a week ago, 95% of us wouldn't have believed that R2 would transfer out. There's still plenty of offseason to go.

I think one more between Trey, Baylor, and Art will leave, but I'm not sure if that will be via portal or draft. I think Kalk has the most to lose by transferring out. He should be well aware that the team is built around him on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure what program could feature him more prominently than Creighton.

Baylor and Art do not strike me as NBA level players.

Trey might be one day, but his upper body needs work still. And I'm not sure he can play the 2.
Jaysker12

Postby Realhoops » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:59 pm

The reality is that except for portal money it’s pretty hard to make a case for any of them finding a better situation than they have here. But that is true of R2 as well, so …

I’m not jumping on rumors one way or the other. Just going to wait it out and see what shakes out at the end of this mess that’s been created by NIL, portal, etc.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Next

Return to Men's Hoops