Doug McDermott

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby Old MVC Days » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 am

ictjay wrote:Last 4-5 games, Dougs minutes have literally evaporated. Read nothing about any injury. NYK was his perfect fit. Hope he survives.


Interesting too that as his minutes have drastically declined, Knicks have won only three of their last 13 games.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
User avatar
Old MVC Days
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: SW Iowa

 

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby ictjay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am

Old MVC Days wrote:
ictjay wrote:Last 4-5 games, Dougs minutes have literally evaporated. Read nothing about any injury. NYK was his perfect fit. Hope he survives.


Interesting too that as his minutes have drastically declined, Knicks have won only three of their last 13 games.


Noticed that.
User avatar
ictjay
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wichta Kansas

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comme ... mott_cant/

some interesting insight from their subreddit. this is a thread titled "can any knicks fan know why doug mcdermott can't get minutes", so obviously there's bias in the responses, but they want him to see more playing time
Jaysker12
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby mredle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I had also noticed that as well. I don't claim to have any knowledge about the business of basketball in the NBA but I wondered if this had anything to do with the upcoming trade deadline. It seems to me that the Knicks may have some contracts (not Doug's) they might want to unload. If that is true, wouldn't you want to showcase some of those players in the hope that someone might be interested? Just a thought
mredle
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm

mredle wrote:I had also noticed that as well. I don't claim to have any knowledge about the business of basketball in the NBA but I wondered if this had anything to do with the upcoming trade deadline. It seems to me that the Knicks may have some contracts (not Doug's) they might want to unload. If that is true, wouldn't you want to showcase some of those players in the hope that someone might be interested? Just a thought

Same thing happened to Korver before the trade deadline in his final season in Utah, and Dirk wrote that his career was over. :lol:
KK had 23 against the Lakers in the playoffs that year, and well, you know the rest.
User avatar
Wizard of Westroads
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby oakath » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Obviously, sitting on the bench doesn't help in a contract year, but the advanced stats show he has improved every year. While fans may not care about those stats, NBA front offices pay attention. It will be very interesting to see where he lands next year. The Redditors hit it right on the head, if he plays with unselfish teammates then he is dangerous and an asset. Unfortunately, the best teams in the league often have no cap space so don't expect him on the Warriors or Rockets. His best basketball is still ahead of him.
User avatar
oakath
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby mredle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 pm

oakath wrote:Obviously, sitting on the bench doesn't help in a contract year, but the advanced stats show he has improved every year. While fans may not care about those stats, NBA front offices pay attention. It will be very interesting to see where he lands next year. The Redditors hit it right on the head, if he plays with unselfish teammates then he is dangerous and an asset. Unfortunately, the best teams in the league often have no cap space so don't expect him on the Warriors or Rockets. His best basketball is still ahead of him.


If my thoughts were correct and I have no reason to believe they were they may be showcasing other players that they want to unload and hiding players they want to hold on to.
mredle
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:01 am

Jeff Hornacek is a bad coach and he's riding vets for a "playoff run" some reason. Tim Hardaway Jr.'s return from injury cut into his minutes, and Hornacek is playing both Courtney Lee and Hardaway more than 32 minutes every night. He's playing Michael Beasley a lot as well.

Frank Ntilikina has seen his minutes dry up as well because Hornacek is playing Jarrett Jack and Trey Burke is riding a hot streak.
JacobPadilla
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby ictjay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Not a good night with team #3. Not sure what to think.
User avatar
ictjay
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wichta Kansas

Re: Doug McDermott

Postby section221jay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:02 am

Every time I watch DM play I am always disappointed at how quickly he seems to want to get rid of the ball. It's as if the ball is on fire.

Either he has an immediate open shot or he gets rid of it within a 10th of a second. He may not have the ability to take every defender to the rack but I believe there are probably regular opportunities to create sufficient space with a bounce or two to get a good shot.

Additionally even if he doesn't blow by or over the top of his defender he was always crafty enough to get a shot off.

Anyway after seeing he hadn't gotten into the game yet tonight in the 3rd Q i googled him amd found this article from a couple weeks ago.

https://dailyknicks.com/2018/01/10/new- ... hoot-more/

Coach wants him to shoot more.
He says "you don't have to tell me twice". Tonight? 13 garbage minutes in a blowout loss and he takes 1 shot? At a certain point the blame can't lie on all his bad NBA coaches and wrong systems. It's the NBA...they aren't going to run sets for you so let it fly when you get the chance, Doug.
section221jay
 
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Realhoops and 18 guests