Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Justin Patton

Postby BostonBlueJay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
CU Final Four wrote:
Post by CU Final Four » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Hearing that JP is going pro.

Posted without comment.

Lol. That wasn't a bold prediction my friend. Most people were "hearing" or assuming JP was leaving.

Yeah...everyone had a 50% chance of nailing that one...

I project his replacement will dunk at least 12 times next year. Book it.
BostonBlueJay

Postby long time CU » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Good for Justin and his family. I hope he gains 30 lbs and learns to rebound and play post defense in the NBA. I hope his NBA coach can figure out how utilize his offense capabilities better than his college coach did.
long time CU

Postby STLBluejay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 pm

I enjoyed watching Patton play, but he is just not ready, and I doubt he will last long in the pros. I don't blame him for leaving, though. Without a point guard that can distribute to him next year (or no guaranty of one), it is time for him to leave and take the guaranteed payday based on potential upside. Good luck JP!
STLBluejay

Postby section221jay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 pm

STLBluejay wrote:I enjoyed watching Patton play, but he is just not ready, and I doubt he will last long in the pros. I don't blame him for leaving, though. Without a point guard that can distribute to him next year (or no guaranty of one), it is time for him to leave and take the guaranteed payday based on potential upside. Good luck JP!

From a physical and possibly maturity standpoint another year would be beneficial. Assuming he has a work ethic though leaving early won't set him back. Will he be a star right away? No chance. And a year in the D league or riding the bench will give doubters ammunition to say "I told you so".

5 or 6 years from now though the he will either be a star or not but if not it won't be because he didn't say another year. If he lacks the work ethic now he would have lacked it a year from now. I think there is little chance that he "won't last long in the pros". His skill level is too high for that to happen. His body will continue to mature. He will have a medium to long career and make a ton of money.

People seem to think since he's a "center" that he is going to need to be Dwight Howard physically. He will never be that nor will he need to be. I'm far from an NBA observer but I imagine him plaging more like Durant or Nowitski than a back to the basket center. (Please note I said LIKE Durant...not "as good as").

He will be fine.
Last edited by section221jay on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
section221jay

Postby cufan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 pm

STLBluejay wrote:I enjoyed watching Patton play, but he is just not ready, and I doubt he will last long in the pros. I don't blame him for leaving, though. Without a point guard that can distribute to him next year (or no guaranty of one), it is time for him to leave and take the guaranteed payday based on potential upside. Good luck JP!

This is why I think it was the correct decision for him as well. If he's ready, obvious right decision. If he's not ready, the uncertainties of the team next year at pg has the potential to hurt his draft stock. Might as well take the payday now and maybe develop to become good NBA player.

Obviously, it's possible he could improve his stock next year. But if any of us had several million on the table and we could take it now or go "double or nothing" next year, everybody would take the millions now.
cufan

Postby bird_call » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 am

Rudy Gobert was selected as the 27th pick of the 2013 draft by the Utah Jazz.

He was big, raw, and could barely hold the ball as a 21 year old rookie. He spent time in the D-League on a team that went
25-57. His first year minutes were 9.6 minutes per game in 45 games.

In his first four years he made about 5M.

He just signed a near-max contract for just over 100M over 4 years.

Raw prospects can make it in the NBA with the right attitude and work ethic. Hopefully Coach McDermott and his parents instilled the work ethic and drive in JP to push himself to the top of his profession.
bird_call

Postby KenoshaJay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:57 am

bird_call wrote:Rudy Gobert was selected as the 27th pick of the 2013 draft by the Utah Jazz.

He was big, raw, and could barely hold the ball as a 21 year old rookie. He spent time in the D-League on a team that went

Raw prospects can make it in the NBA with the right attitude and work ethic. Hopefully Coach McDermott and his parents instilled the work ethic and drive in JP to push himself to the top of his profession.

1+
KenoshaJay

Postby T-bone » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:26 am

KenoshaJay wrote:
bird_call wrote:Rudy Gobert was selected as the 27th pick of the 2013 draft by the Utah Jazz.

1+

+2
T-bone

Postby Ethanfor3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:42 am

Perhaps the best way I can sum it up for those of us that have been watching college and NBA for the better part of 40 years is that we long for the old days when we think about Justin leaving and whether he's ready or not.

Before the NBA became a developmental league, as a college fan you got a Patrick Ewing, Wayman Tisdale or Hakeem Olajuwon and you got 4 glorious years watching them grow up and become NBA ready. They essentially become part of your "family." Today, if you get that kind of talent, if you're lucky you get two years and just when they're ready to do truly great things ... poof they're gone. College basketball has been changed by the NBA and not for the better.

While I don't think Justin will play significant minutes this year, he ultimately made the right monetary call.

Good luck Justin, we hardly got to know you.
Ethanfor3

Postby slaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:10 am

Seeing injuries to Watson, Sumner, Boucher, OG, Giles may have also played a part in not taking the risk.
slaw

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops