Justin Patton

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Justin Patton

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 am

years of playing in college don't prepare future pros for the pros. That's what it comes down to for Justin.
Jaysker12

Postby Venturajay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 am

Ethanfor3 wrote:Perhaps the best way I can sum it up for those of us that have been watching college and NBA for the better part of 40 years is that we long for the old days when we think about Justin leaving and whether he's ready or not.

Before the NBA became a developmental league, as a college fan you got a Patrick Ewing, Wayman Tisdale or Hakeem Olajuwon and you got 4 glorious years watching them grow up and become NBA ready. They essentially become part of your "family." Today, if you get that kind of talent, if you're lucky you get two years and just when they're ready to do truly great things ... poof they're gone. College basketball has been changed by the NBA and not for the better.

While I don't think Justin will play significant minutes this year, he ultimately made the right monetary call.

Good luck Justin, we hardly got to know you.

I wish Justin Patton well and was looking forward to watching him improve next year . His skill set, athletic ability, and personality were top notch. Unfortunately, he will be a blip on the CU radar screen from a historical perspective. For us fans, I think Ethanfor3 said it best "we hardly go to know you."
Venturajay

Postby White&BlueDude » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:36 am

I appreciate the time that we had with Justin and I hope he does awesome things at the next level. Get em dude!
White&BlueDude

Postby Polyfro » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Here's a video montage of Patton's career at CU that we put together, and a quick look back at his sensational freshman year:

http://whiteandbluereview.com/justin-pa ... al-season/
#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm

It will be interesting to come back and look about 5 years from now and assess whether he made the right call. There's simply no way at all for anyone to know right now that this was the right call, or the wrong call, from a financial or developmental point of view.

It's pretty clearly a consensus that he is not even close to being physically or mentally ready to contribute at the NBA level in the immediate future (next year). Another year of work in college, more physical growth, more maturity in that kind of an environment, etc., might have been a big boost to him. A year of focusing on nothing but basketball on an NBA or D-League roster might be a big boost to him. Playing meaningful minutes against quality competition in college next year might have been a big boost. Sitting on a bench and not playing meaningful minutes might hurt. Trying to develop the mental and emotional maturity to handle this as a career, at his age, on the road in the NBA or D-League might be a challenge, or he might grow up really fast and figure it out.

Financially, it's completely understandable to jump at the dollar signs that he's hearing for this first contract. If he ends up going anywhere that he's been projected of late, that's a lot of guaranteed money to pass up, especially for someone who grew up in Omaha without millionaire parents. And if he develops over the next few years, he could set himself up for a great second contract, where the really big money usually comes. If he had returned and developed in college, he might have put himself in a better position to make the necessary development for that second contract, or he might not have. If he doesn't develop, he might end up a journeyman or out of the league after the first contract and miss that opportunity. The could have happened whether he returned or not, too.

And none of that even factors in other big considerations like the impact of WHICH team drafts him and how that team does with development, what its needs are immediately and how that might force him into a particular role, the possible risk of injury if he had returned or as he tries to compete with more physically ready players next year, etc., etc., etc.

It's just impossible to know right now whether this looks like the "right" decision -- it depends way too much on what happens to him over the next couple of years. It's impossible to fault a kid for making this call right now. I have a gut feeling it won't turn out to have been the right call, but I sure hope I'm dead wrong on that and it all works out for him.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 pm

section221jay wrote:
STLBluejay wrote:I enjoyed watching Patton play, but he is just not ready, and I doubt he will last long in the pros. I don't blame him for leaving, though. Without a point guard that can distribute to him next year (or no guaranty of one), it is time for him to leave and take the guaranteed payday based on potential upside. Good luck JP!

From a physical and possibly maturity standpoint another year would be beneficial. Assuming he has a work ethic though leaving early won't set him back. Will he be a star right away? No chance. And a year in the D league or riding the bench will give doubters ammunition to say "I told you so".

5 or 6 years from now though the he will either be a star or not but if not it won't be because he didn't say another year. If he lacks the work ethic now he would have lacked it a year from now. I think there is little chance that he "won't last long in the pros". His skill level is too high for that to happen. His body will continue to mature. He will have a medium to long career and make a ton of money.

People seem to think since he's a "center" that he is going to need to be Dwight Howard physically. He will never be that nor will he need to be. I'm far from an NBA observer but I imagine him plaging more like Durant or Nowitski than a back to the basket center. (Please note I said LIKE Durant...not "as good as").

He will be fine.

Great post overall, but JP will never play like KD or Dirk (and I saw your disclaimer, but I'm talking in playing style). Those two are anomalies. JP's handles and touch are not good enough for him to play like KD, and he's not nearly the shooter Dirk is (and JP has other skills anyway). He won't be a back-to-the basket center for sure, at least not until he can add enough muscle to secure post position (because he does have skills there regardless of what some think), but he'll be running a heck of a lot of pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops and teams will encourage him to run the floor like he did at Creighton. Offensively, JP is a great fit for modern spread basketball. It's defense and physicality where he needs to make the biggest strides.
JacobPadilla

Postby jln » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Realhoops wrote:It will be interesting to come back and look about 5 years from now and assess whether he made the right call. There's simply no way at all for anyone to know right now that this was the right call, or the wrong call, from a financial or developmental point of view.

It's pretty clearly a consensus that he is not even close to being physically or mentally ready to contribute at the NBA level in the immediate future (next year). Another year of work in college, more physical growth, more maturity in that kind of an environment, etc., might have been a big boost to him. A year of focusing on nothing but basketball on an NBA or D-League roster might be a big boost to him. Playing meaningful minutes against quality competition in college next year might have been a big boost. Sitting on a bench and not playing meaningful minutes might hurt. Trying to develop the mental and emotional maturity to handle this as a career, at his age, on the road in the NBA or D-League might be a challenge, or he might grow up really fast and figure it out.

Financially, it's completely understandable to jump at the dollar signs that he's hearing for this first contract. If he ends up going anywhere that he's been projected of late, that's a lot of guaranteed money to pass up, especially for someone who grew up in Omaha without millionaire parents. And if he develops over the next few years, he could set himself up for a great second contract, where the really big money usually comes. If he had returned and developed in college, he might have put himself in a better position to make the necessary development for that second contract, or he might not have. If he doesn't develop, he might end up a journeyman or out of the league after the first contract and miss that opportunity. The could have happened whether he returned or not, too.

And none of that even factors in other big considerations like the impact of WHICH team drafts him and how that team does with development, what its needs are immediately and how that might force him into a particular role, the possible risk of injury if he had returned or as he tries to compete with more physically ready players next year, etc., etc., etc.

It's just impossible to know right now whether this looks like the "right" decision -- it depends way too much on what happens to him over the next couple of years. It's impossible to fault a kid for making this call right now. I have a gut feeling it won't turn out to have been the right call, but I sure hope I'm dead wrong on that and it all works out for him.

The reason I definitely think this was the right decision for him is that, assuming he gets that first guaranteed contract, the downside of returning was always so much greater. Everyone seems to be focusing on how much his stock could go up if he comes back. The problem is that age would quickly no longer be on his side and Patton 2018 would have to be a better player than Patton 2017 to be considered an equal prospect. People have mentioned he could get hurt. That's obvious. But what if his frame just cannot support more weight while allowing him to continue have his same strengths? What if the slippage in his game without Watson is real and he actually regresses some? Everyone agrees he's not close to a finished product so if he stayed and didn't make those gains I'd be afraid he could really plummet.
jln

Postby JaysWinJaysWin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Wow. Anybody watch Justin's press conference? Class act. Coach McDermott was looking out for Justin's best interests. Justin is articulate. It seems the focus is to make a good decision. For Justin. This is what Creighton should represent. It feels like a shining moment for Creighton. For Justin. For Coach McDermott. And for all of us. We will survive. And we will have another reason, maybe sooner rather than later, to check the NBA box scores.
JaysWinJaysWin

Postby CURx » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

If Creighton wants to get elite basketball players (here's looking at you Tugs), Coach Mac and Creighton have to act exactly as they did today. Congrats to JP. We look forward to an exceptional NBA career.
CURx

Postby born_a_Jay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Jaybird wrote:
born_a_Jay wrote:He couldn't even shoot free throws.

You're not too bright, are you?

Well you're the idiot that doesn't understand sarcasm, so who's not too bright?
born_a_Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops