Justin Patton

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Justin Patton

Postby born_a_Jay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 pm

BostonBlueJay wrote:
born_a_Jay wrote:He was a defensive liability anyway.

Is this where we queue up the Patton bashing because he's leaving? ...but if he had stayed celebrate him?

No this is where I try to make myself feel better by focusing on his flaws.
born_a_Jay

Postby section221jay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
section221jay wrote:
STLBluejay wrote:I enjoyed watching Patton play, but he is just not ready, and I doubt he will last long in the pros. I don't blame him for leaving, though. Without a point guard that can distribute to him next year (or no guaranty of one), it is time for him to leave and take the guaranteed payday based on potential upside. Good luck JP!

From a physical and possibly maturity standpoint another year would be beneficial. Assuming he has a work ethic though leaving early won't set him back. Will he be a star right away? No chance. And a year in the D league or riding the bench will give doubters ammunition to say "I told you so".

5 or 6 years from now though the he will either be a star or not but if not it won't be because he didn't say another year. If he lacks the work ethic now he would have lacked it a year from now. I think there is little chance that he "won't last long in the pros". His skill level is too high for that to happen. His body will continue to mature. He will have a medium to long career and make a ton of money.

People seem to think since he's a "center" that he is going to need to be Dwight Howard physically. He will never be that nor will he need to be. I'm far from an NBA observer but I imagine him plaging more like Durant or Nowitski than a back to the basket center. (Please note I said LIKE Durant...not "as good as").

He will be fine.

Great post overall, but JP will never play like KD or Dirk (and I saw your disclaimer, but I'm talking in playing style). Those two are anomalies. JP's handles and touch are not good enough for him to play like KD, and he's not nearly the shooter Dirk is (and JP has other skills anyway). He won't be a back-to-the basket center for sure, at least not until he can add enough muscle to secure post position (because he does have skills there regardless of what some think), but he'll be running a heck of a lot of pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops and teams will encourage him to run the floor like he did at Creighton. Offensively, JP is a great fit for modern spread basketball. It's defense and physicality where he needs to make the biggest strides.

Fair post...in my defense in don't watch a ton of NBA ball. I was trying to think of tall guys that seem to me to be more finesse than power.

That said there have been flashes, IMO, of handles and shooting touch. One poster got mad at me for comparing him to a baby giraffe at one time. The point being he has shown ability too take a couple dribbles and get by guys...but at other times he'd try it and fall down. To me it seemed like just a matter of growing into his body. Obviously some guys come out of HS with that coordination. Others take a while. But there were a few times where my jaw truly hit the ground. So I think that skill will come around to a useful degree.

Same with shooting from the perimeter. Obviously Dirk is elite in that category. But JP, limited as it may have been, showed ability from 20' and it wasn't like when Manute Bol rained 3s on the suns. It looked natural enough to develop.

Anyway, I knew naming names was probably a risk but I just keep hearing people say he's too weak, etc. And while that is true and it's also true that he will improve in that area I think people still have Ewing and Shaq and Hakeem on the brain when they think of 7 footers. He's not that type of player and no NBA team likely projects him to be so.
section221jay

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:50 am

section221jay wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:
section221jay wrote:From a physical and possibly maturity standpoint another year would be beneficial. Assuming he has a work ethic though leaving early won't set him back. Will he be a star right away? No chance. And a year in the D league or riding the bench will give doubters ammunition to say "I told you so".

5 or 6 years from now though the he will either be a star or not but if not it won't be because he didn't say another year. If he lacks the work ethic now he would have lacked it a year from now. I think there is little chance that he "won't last long in the pros". His skill level is too high for that to happen. His body will continue to mature. He will have a medium to long career and make a ton of money.

People seem to think since he's a "center" that he is going to need to be Dwight Howard physically. He will never be that nor will he need to be. I'm far from an NBA observer but I imagine him plaging more like Durant or Nowitski than a back to the basket center. (Please note I said LIKE Durant...not "as good as").

He will be fine.

Great post overall, but JP will never play like KD or Dirk (and I saw your disclaimer, but I'm talking in playing style). Those two are anomalies. JP's handles and touch are not good enough for him to play like KD, and he's not nearly the shooter Dirk is (and JP has other skills anyway). He won't be a back-to-the basket center for sure, at least not until he can add enough muscle to secure post position (because he does have skills there regardless of what some think), but he'll be running a heck of a lot of pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops and teams will encourage him to run the floor like he did at Creighton. Offensively, JP is a great fit for modern spread basketball. It's defense and physicality where he needs to make the biggest strides.

Fair post...in my defense in don't watch a ton of NBA ball. I was trying to think of tall guys that seem to me to be more finesse than power.

That said there have been flashes, IMO, of handles and shooting touch. One poster got mad at me for comparing him to a baby giraffe at one time. The point being he has shown ability too take a couple dribbles and get by guys...but at other times he'd try it and fall down. To me it seemed like just a matter of growing into his body. Obviously some guys come out of HS with that coordination. Others take a while. But there were a few times where my jaw truly hit the ground. So I think that skill will come around to a useful degree.

Same with shooting from the perimeter. Obviously Dirk is elite in that category. But JP, limited as it may have been, showed ability from 20' and it wasn't like when Manute Bol rained 3s on the suns. It looked natural enough to develop.

Anyway, I knew naming names was probably a risk but I just keep hearing people say he's too weak, etc. And while that is true and it's also true that he will improve in that area I think people still have Ewing and Shaq and Hakeem on the brain when they think of 7 footers. He's not that type of player and no NBA team likely projects him to be so.

JP definitely has the ability to handle the ball well for his size, but KD is a freak of nature. The bigger you are, the harder it is to handle the ball because guards will be digging in all over the place. We saw that at times when JP tried to put the ball on the deck this year when the spacing wasn't great. My point was that while JP will be able to take some guys off the bounce or occasionally handle the ball in transition, it won't be nearly as big of a part of his game as it is for KD. And as for shooting, while JP does show a lot of promise in that regard he doesn't have the same high, quick release that both KD and Dirk have nor does he have as much comfort shooting off the bounce. Basically, he can't get his shot of like those two.

I certainly agree with your overall point and it's a good one. It's just that I am a NBA guy so I thought I'd way in. Picking HOFers sets a pretty high standard.
JacobPadilla

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

NBA ceiling for Patton?

How about Chris Bosh? Or LaMarcus Aldridge?
vivid_dude

Postby cufan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 am

vivid_dude wrote:NBA ceiling for Patton?

How about Chris Bosh? Or LaMarcus Aldridge?

JP is the ultimate high ceiling, low floor prospect.

I would say ceiling is Aldridge (i like that comparison). Floor is total bust.
cufan

Postby whiteandblue77 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:08 pm

JPs been all over the mocks but 13 to Denver in this one, would be a cool place with easy plane rides home

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft
whiteandblue77

Postby ZMagic30 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Justin was invited to the NBA combine!
ZMagic30

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:57 pm

I hope he makes the 1st round....
PhoenixBluejay

Postby Oldfan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:00 pm