Justin Patton

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Justin Patton

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed May 03, 2017 8:29 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Bleacher Report's updated mock has Patton at No. 11 overall. So, he's not dropping everywhere.

I think he'll do OK when they evaluate him. Someone will want him knowing that they need to invest a year in letiting him do S&C and get bigger and stronger
Chicagojayfan

Postby bird_call » Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 am

DraftExpress dropped a strengths and weaknesses video on JP a couple of days ago.

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12763/
http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12762/
bird_call

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu May 04, 2017 3:05 pm

CBS' Megdal's NBA mock draft of 3 May.

JP 15th..

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017- ... in-france/
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby BostonBlueJay » Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 am

SendDustyIn wrote:
mredle wrote:You sign with an agent and your NCAA eligibility is done.

Can someone explain the incentive to declare and hire an agent immediately? You're going to be drafted based on your ability, not your willingness to get drafted. Why not hedge your bets, go through the combine and wait until you're a surefire lottery pick before hiring an agent? Can an agent really talk you up a couple spots? I just don't see how it's worth it.

I can only speak of a personal friend of mine in another sport (football). When he signed with an agent, he was fronted considerable $$$. The idea/reasoning is that between his last collegiate game and signing of his contract, there would be months he needed to continue to train and obviously needed money to live.

The agent "spotted" him tens of thousands. Obviously, after he was drafted and signed his contract, the agent took his cut off the top.

Guess this logic makes sense no matter what sport if a player needs to, or wants to travel for training? Someone has to pay for their airfare, food and expenses...
BostonBlueJay

Postby vivid_dude » Mon May 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Chad Ford's latest "Big Board" has Patton as the 19th ranked prospect in the draft. Ford also says that Patton won't participate in 5-on-5 at the combine, which is probably a smart move. Patton shows flashes, but 5-on-5 can expose weaknesses. His allure is more in the measurables, testing and potential.

On another note, when a player is described as being "one of the more efficient...in college basketball," in my opinion, their FT% can't be what Patton's was. That's not efficient.

19. Justin Patton
Previous rank: No. 15

Patton was one of the more efficient players in college basketball, but he still has a long way to go to get to his ceiling. Some teams have him as a late lottery pick, others in the 20s.

Patton will do interviews and testing but won't play 5-on-5 at the combine.
vivid_dude

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Chad Ford's latest "Big Board" has Patton as the 19th ranked prospect in the draft. Ford also says that Patton won't participate in 5-on-5 at the combine, which is probably a smart move. Patton shows flashes, but 5-on-5 can expose weaknesses. His allure is more in the measurables, testing and potential.

On another note, when a player is described as being "one of the more efficient...in college basketball," in my opinion, their FT% can't be what Patton's was. That's not efficient.

19. Justin Patton
Previous rank: No. 15

Patton was one of the more efficient players in college basketball, but he still has a long way to go to get to his ceiling. Some teams have him as a late lottery pick, others in the 20s.

Patton will do interviews and testing but won't play 5-on-5 at the combine.

Justin shot 67.6 percent on 296 field goal attempts (which are wroth two and three points). He shot 51.7% on 85 free throws (which are worth one point). His true shooting and effective field goal percentages are both over 67 percent. He was unquestionably one of the most efficient players in college basketball last year.
JacobPadilla

Postby SendDustyIn » Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 am

BostonBlueJay wrote:
SendDustyIn wrote:
mredle wrote:You sign with an agent and your NCAA eligibility is done.

Can someone explain the incentive to declare and hire an agent immediately? You're going to be drafted based on your ability, not your willingness to get drafted. Why not hedge your bets, go through the combine and wait until you're a surefire lottery pick before hiring an agent? Can an agent really talk you up a couple spots? I just don't see how it's worth it.

I can only speak of a personal friend of mine in another sport (football). When he signed with an agent, he was fronted considerable $$$. The idea/reasoning is that between his last collegiate game and signing of his contract, there would be months he needed to continue to train and obviously needed money to live.

The agent "spotted" him tens of thousands. Obviously, after he was drafted and signed his contract, the agent took his cut off the top.

Guess this logic makes sense no matter what sport if a player needs to, or wants to travel for training? Someone has to pay for their airfare, food and expenses...

Thanks. I wasn't trying to shit on players, either. I was genuinely curious.

The short term loan just feels dirty. I get it, but ick.
SendDustyIn

Postby JaysWinJaysWin » Thu May 11, 2017 3:28 pm

JaysWinJaysWin

Postby RVB » Fri May 12, 2017 12:09 am

Former Creighton star Justin Patton relishes chance to meet with teams at NBA draft combine

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 15072.html
RVB

Postby whiteandblue77 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:29 pm

RVB wrote:Former Creighton star Justin Patton relishes chance to meet with teams at NBA draft combine

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 15072.html

Thanks for the story Jon, answers a lot of questions I had. Although the Kings weren't mentioned, I'm still hoping Sacramento takes him with one of their two top 12 picks. I think that would be a great city to start out in and also having AT there would be absolutely invaluable.
whiteandblue77

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops