Justin Patton

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Justin Patton

Postby vivid_dude » Sun May 14, 2017 9:38 pm

mredle wrote:Way to go GTMO. You brought up the I word (information) now doctor massengill is going to try to scratch your eyes out,

I love information because I know what it actually is.

Still in shock that I had to explain to a Creighton grad (I assume) what "information" was. It'd be funny if it wasn't a bit depressing.

Another thread ruined.
vivid_dude

Postby Easypaddy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 am

I'm sorry but there is a lot of Fake News in this thread.
Easypaddy

Postby Angry Dan » Mon May 15, 2017 8:44 am

The NBA draft is always full of fake news.....it's a bunch of pro teams playing poker...lots of bluffing

And the draft is still a ways off, more bluffing and guessing on the horizon
Angry Dan

Postby bird_call » Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

I think the combine stats just confirm what NBA scouts already knew about Patton. Go watch the Draft Express videos on his weaknesses from a few weeks ago. All of the stuff about speed, bounce, etc. were there.

The question any NBA team is asking is whether that athleticism is something that can be improved or is his ceiling. Korver and McDermott both had questions about their athleticism. Patton is the same, but is a 19 year old who was a known late bloomer.

Any team that is drafting him over the guys with more currently developed athletic stats are banking on a training program that can improve his athleticism, bounce, and ability to rebound/box out. He will never be anything but a garbage time guy in the NBA until his strength and athleticism improves.

The question is whether he can improve athletically to match up with NBA bigs? Somebody will take that chance in the late first round over a guy who has better current combine measurables but is either older, smaller, or has worse touch.
bird_call

Postby cujaysfan » Mon May 15, 2017 12:42 pm

i hope for Justin's sake he is still a top 20 pick.

also hope he has a great money manager lined up in case things don't work out.
cujaysfan

Postby Jet915 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

cujaysfan wrote:i hope for Justin's sake he is still a top 20 pick.

also hope he has a great money manager lined up in case things don't work out.

I'm sure AT can help with that, hopefully Patton reaches out to him.
Jet915

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Gtmo pretty much nails it. Alpha's post reeked of bitterness . Also, framing information a certain way in trying to construct a narrative fueled by a personal grudge is the same thing as spreading misinformation. Especially in suggesting that he will drop out of the first round - that is just an absurd prediction
Jaysker12

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 am

Jaysker12 wrote:Gtmo pretty much nails it. Alpha's post reeked of bitterness . Also, framing information a certain way in trying to construct a narrative fueled by a personal grudge is the same thing as spreading misinformation. Especially in suggesting that he will drop out of the first round - that is just an absurd prediction

I believe that same person posted here about some mock drafts not even having him on the board and others dropping him to the second round (look around May 3 or so) and how is "stock is falling." Then, almost two weeks later, he posts about someone having him on their top 15 board but that will surely fall because of JPs measurements (wait..his stock was falling out of the second round on May 3, but now someone has him in the top 15?). Perhaps some posters viewed his latest post as negativity because of the earlier post that was also negative towards Justin.

I thought it was laughable that people are concerned he only has a 30" vertical. His standing reach is 9' 3 1/2". The basket is still just 10' high, no? Any of us who watched Justin this year think is vertical is an issue?

Remember when draft "experts" (and a lot of message board "experts") were ridiculing Kevin Durant because he couldn't bench press 185 lbs? Anyone remember that? Anyone else remember that the Trail Blazers picked Greg Oden ahead of Durant? Oden could bench press the hell out of 185 lbs... JP probably won't be Kevin Durant but my money says he won't be Oden, either. He is top 20 and am hoping he goes to ATL at 19.
Savannah Jay

Postby RVB » Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am

Former Creighton star Justin Patton taking break from team auditions for NBA draft lottery

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 59878.html
RVB

Postby Polyfro » Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am

Savannah Jay wrote:I thought it was laughable that people are concerned he only has a 30" vertical. His standing reach is 9' 3 1/2". The basket is still just 10' high, no? Any of us who watched Justin this year think is vertical is an issue?

Remember when draft "experts" (and a lot of message board "experts") were ridiculing Kevin Durant because he couldn't bench press 185 lbs? Anyone remember that? Anyone else remember that the Trail Blazers picked Greg Oden ahead of Durant? Oden could bench press the hell out of 185 lbs... JP probably won't be Kevin Durant but my money says he won't be Oden, either. He is top 20 and am hoping he goes to ATL at 19.

I'm guilty of it at times, too, but we obsess far too much over measurables at NFL and NBA combines, IMHO. At some point a lot of GM's, scouts and fans began putting more value in characteristics of a good athlete over actual sport-specific skills. And I get it; those are black-and-white quantifiable traits, whereas skills are more qualitative, more nuanced. Numbers jump off a page, nuance doesn't. I think JP's a player whose skill far surpasses what you can measure in a vertical leap, or on a bench press, or in a sprint. He's not a transcendent player like Durant, don't get me wrong. But his measurables look like that of a fringe NBA prospect. Anyone who's watched him a fair amount knows he's way better than that. JP has more than enough basketball skill to have a long, successful career. A lot of teams will pass on him because of those combine results, I'm sure of it. And in a few years he'll be touted as an "under the radar success" that teams regret passing on.

Tangent: I read a piece this week about the Rockets passing on Marc Gasol in '06 because their scouting department came across a photo of him without a shirt, and he had "man boobs". Even though they thought he could be a good player they passed because of that photo. Then he became an All-Star several times over, and one of the better late-second round picks in recent memory. Not sure that relates to JP, but it gave me an excuse to write "man boobs" (plus it's a really great story).
#GoJays
Polyfro

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops