Khyri Thomas

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Khyri Thomas

Postby Eye of the Jay » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Hopefully we get a Gavitt Games home game. The Wisconsin atmosphere was electric so would be nice to have another this year.

At Nebby
At Oklahoma
Vs Gonzaga

Hope the cayman classic teams overperform. Not necessarily a bad field but a downgrade from the two bubble teams in last years early season tourney.

I’m hoping we get some decent nonSwac nonMeac teams for home games. Honestly if they added two UT Arlington type home games I’d be happy with the non con and then some 200-250 cupcakes.
Eye of the Jay

Postby jays911 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:Hopefully we get a Gavitt Games home game. The Wisconsin atmosphere was electric so would be nice to have another this year.

At Nebby
At Oklahoma
Vs Gonzaga

Hope the cayman classic teams overperform. Not necessarily a bad field but a downgrade from the two bubble teams in last years early season tourney.

I’m hoping we get some decent nonSwac nonMeac teams for home games. Honestly if they added two UT Arlington type home games I’d be happy with the non con and then some 200-250 cupcakes.

We have a home game this year.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby DC_JAY » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
DC_JAY wrote:
cu8493 wrote:I think you are underestimating the talent that is in the program. While Khyri's absence will make us a different team, I am not going to conceded that we will fall off so far that one player leaving, even of his talent, will push us into outside looking in status. We have several newcomers and many who took backseats to Khyri and Marcus this year who will be stepping up to take up the slack. I am optimistic that we will still be top half BE with or without Khyri.

I hope you are correct. We were two losses away from the NIT this season and have a much tougher non-conference slate next year. If Martin picks up where he left off before his injury, I'm bullish. If not...

Is our nonconference much tougher next year?

This year it did include three consecutive top 20 opponents. Northwestern, Baylor, and UCLA all underperformed, but were really solid at the time. I think at Gonzaga was a tougher challenge than at Oklahoma is, and we still have Gonzaga here this year. Outside of those two, who is the really tough opponents on the nonconference for next year?

On paper our nonconference schedule this season was strong, but Northwestern and Baylor underperformed. Next season at Oklahoma will be tough. At Nebraska will be very tough (if they return Palmer and Copeland). Gonzaga will be a pre-season trendy pick for the Final Four. Add to that what will probably be a solid Big 10 team (fingers crossed for Ohio State or Wisconsin). Cayman Islands doesn't look that tough, but still could pose challenges. I'll be thrilled to only have two conference losses next season.
DC_JAY

Postby slaw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Latest G Parrish mock draft - #21 to the Jazz

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018 ... n-at-no-1/

Thomas is a two-time Big East Defensive Player of the Year -- one who used a 6-11 wingspan on a 6-3 frame to get into passing lanes and, in other ways, just make things difficult on opposing guards. He averaged 15.5 points and shot 41.1 percent from 3-point range as a junior. So anybody looking for a 3-and-D wing should give the Omaha native a serious look.
slaw

Postby cidsports » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
DC_JAY wrote:
cu8493 wrote:I think you are underestimating the talent that is in the program. While Khyri's absence will make us a different team, I am not going to conceded that we will fall off so far that one player leaving, even of his talent, will push us into outside looking in status. We have several newcomers and many who took backseats to Khyri and Marcus this year who will be stepping up to take up the slack. I am optimistic that we will still be top half BE with or without Khyri.

I hope you are correct. We were two losses away from the NIT this season and have a much tougher non-conference slate next year. If Martin picks up where he left off before his injury, I'm bullish. If not...

Is our nonconference much tougher next year?

This year it did include three consecutive top 20 opponents. Northwestern, Baylor, and UCLA all underperformed, but were really solid at the time. I think at Gonzaga was a tougher challenge than at Oklahoma is, and we still have Gonzaga here this year. Outside of those two, who is the really tough opponents on the nonconference for next year?

Creighton took care of a poor Northwestern team. Nebraska was a better opponent in 2017-18.
cidsports

Postby mannygakou » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am

cidsports wrote:Creighton took care of a poor Northwestern team. Nebraska was a better opponent in 2017-18.

mannygakou

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Here is a look at some recent NBA mock drafts, and where Khyri is projected to land (if he goes). All of these were updated within last three days.

Sporting News: 23rd Indiana Pacers
Sports Illustrated: 24th Portland Trail Blazers
CBS Sports: 21st Utah Jazz
Bleacher report: 27th Boston Celtics
Land of 10: 12th Los Angeles Clippers

Looks like the deadline for Khyri to make his decision on returning to Creighton or staying in the draft isn't until June 11.

David Aldridge ranks Khyri as the sixth most NBA-ready wing in the draft. http://www.nba.com/da-big-board-guards-2018-draft
vivid_dude

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Great stuff with quotes from NBA evaluators...

Creighton’s Khyri Thomas established himself as a top two-way prospect as a junior. He won his second straight Big East Defensive Player of the Year award this year after being co-Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore, becoming just the 19th player in conference history to win more than one DPOY award. Thomas was second team all-Big East this season after averaging 15 points and 4.4 rebounds for the Blue Jays, including 41 percent on 3-pointers. That consistently both in front of and behind the arc helped him finish 16th in the country in Effective Field Goal percentage (.629)

The 6-foot-3 guard has mid-first potential but is weighing whether to formally declare for the Draft. If he were to wait until 2019, he might rise up boards; next year’s Draft is not expected to be nearly as strong.

“Next year’s Draft is so weak he could be a Lottery pick,” one veteran personnel man said. “He’s good, though. I like him. That kid, you could put in an NBA game right now.”

Another talent evaluator compares Thomas with Aaron McKie, a defense-first two guard who played 13 NBA seasons, winning the 2001 NBA Sixth Man of the Year award.

“He’s a guy who has that a multiple skills set,” the scout said. “He can be a secondary or third ball handler for you, tough defender, smart, will never hurt you by taking bad shots or trying to force the issue. Defensively he’s going to be like a coach’s pet, because he’s going to play the right way. And if he hits the Lottery, he becomes (Hall of Famer) Joe Dumars. And his demeanor on the court. I saw them beat Villanova at Creighton, and he was so focused. It’s no nonsense. It’s like he’s been there already. Almost emotionless. But he competes.”
Jet915

Postby fritzpointer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Great post Jet. I hope he comes back and wins player of the year and moves up and cashes in.What ever he does he will always be a fan favorite. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:11 pm

wow, the NBA guys can't get enough of him, it seems. lookin like Khyri has a long, successful NBA career in front of him. Take the money now, dude.
Jaysker12

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops