2016-17 Men's Basketball

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2016-17 Men's Basketball

Postby Jays26 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:20 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:
I continue to wonder to this day what would have been if Mo doesn't pick up those two silly and unnecessary fouls against Nova. We're up 19-9 and cruising at the 13:59 mark and then Mo goes out and it's allNova from then on. Could have been a special season and something many of us have been looking forward to since the Baylor defeat.

Alas, the sweet 16 wait continues.

I continue to wonder what would have happened if Coach Mac didn't unnecessarily put Mo back into the Xavier game, seriously hobbling, to where he blew out his knee a few minutes later. Why was he in the game? That decision was the first domino in a series of events that ruined arguably our best season (potential). I know you can't coddle these guys, and hindsight is always 20/20, but I hated the decision then and I hate it just as much today.

Mac has said a few times that Mo went in and out on his own. Maybe Mac should have pulled him back and said no go. But it was Mo that put himself back in.
Jays26

Postby Jeremyhauer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Jays26 wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:
I continue to wonder to this day what would have been if Mo doesn't pick up those two silly and unnecessary fouls against Nova. We're up 19-9 and cruising at the 13:59 mark and then Mo goes out and it's allNova from then on. Could have been a special season and something many of us have been looking forward to since the Baylor defeat.

Alas, the sweet 16 wait continues.

I continue to wonder what would have happened if Coach Mac didn't unnecessarily put Mo back into the Xavier game, seriously hobbling, to where he blew out his knee a few minutes later. Why was he in the game? That decision was the first domino in a series of events that ruined arguably our best season (potential). I know you can't coddle these guys, and hindsight is always 20/20, but I hated the decision then and I hate it just as much today.

Mac has said a few times that Mo went in and out on his own. Maybe Mac should have pulled him back and said no go. But it was Mo that put himself back in.

This and Mac relies on the trainers as well. If the trainers don't say he can't play and the player says he good to go, it would be almost impossible for Mac or any other coach to override those 2 decision makers.
Jeremyhauer

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:31 pm

After we were 18-0 and looking like a FF team I have to say this was the most remarkable downturn since 1985. That said this is NOT 1985 and we have a solid team and coach coming back... plus I'm one of those people who can never consider a season where we beat UNL--especially in LIncoln and tie the series--a down year. Next year we can go ahead in the series for the first time since the early 80s. The students should start practicing "One is the Loneliest Number." :lol:

Onward and upward to '17-'18 we go.

Go Blue 4 Ever.
whiteandblue77

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 pm

wildjays wrote:Putting the cap on the season with the latest podcast including an exclusive interview with coach McDermott.

http://whiteandbluereview.com/bluejays- ... portswear/

another great podcast and interview

the sort of bummer takeaway - is Mac saying that we probably won't be participating in summer league - which is the part of the off season where the juices get to start flowing with reports from those games.
cujaysfan

Postby westojay » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 am

Jon Rothstein tweeted this morning that Steve Lutz is going to take assistant job at Purdue
westojay

Postby LJay » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:28 am

Best to you coach. Thanks for all you have done for Creighton.
77 - 62
LJay

Postby slaw » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 am

westojay wrote:Jon Rothstein tweeted this morning that Steve Lutz is going to take assistant job at Purdue

Good luck, Lutz, but he's not ready. Needs to put on more weight, can't rebound, and he will get pushed out of the lane by other assistant coaches.
slaw

Postby cufan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 am

Damn. He was a bis reason for our recent success.

Anybody else find it odd? Maybe its a slight move up, but pretty much a lateral move?
cufan

Postby Jeremyhauer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 am

cufan wrote:Damn. He was a bis reason for our recent success.

Anybody else find it odd? Maybe its a slight move up, but pretty much a lateral move?

Usually money does a lot of the talking. Purdue is a good B1G program where they've just won a league title and had an assistant leave to be a HC. Lutz, like most assts, probably wants to be a HC and thought this was a good move. Hopefully Coach Mac makes another great hire. Coach Murphy has turned out pretty well.
Jeremyhauer

Postby mredle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:38 am

[quote="Jays26]

I continue to wonder what would have happened if Coach Mac didn't unnecessarily put Mo back into the Xavier game, seriously hobbling, to where he blew out his knee a few minutes later. Why was he in the game? That decision was the first domino in a series of events that ruined arguably our best season (potential). I know you can't coddle these guys, and hindsight is always 20/20, but I hated the decision then and I hate it just as much today.[/quote]

Mac has said a few times that Mo went in and out on his own. Maybe Mac should have pulled him back and said no go. But it was Mo that put himself back in.[/quote]

The athlete will always want to continue to play unless the injury is such that it is impossible to continue. The coach, trainers and medical staff know and understand that.
mredle

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops