MVC

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: MVC

Postby JayFan95 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Arch madness was a blast, but after 15 years of going it was starting to get old personally for me. Will always remember the good times and it helped create the fan base we have now. I Look at it like graduating college. Eventually we had to "grow up". The play in the MVC is awful right now.

The BET is awesome. Save up for a few years and make it happen. Instead of STL I try and do one road trip and every 3-4 years the BE is my goal.

Sundeckers, Morgan St and Big Bang will always be great memories. Miss college and being 21 as well but I can't go back.
Last edited by JayFan95 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayFan95

Postby xsshooter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Headed to NYC for the BE tournament next week.
Going to pick up single game tickets.
Will be doing some tourist stuff as well, Ground 0, Central Park, Broadway show, museum's etc.

Flying out of Omaha, be there Tuesday -Sunday. I'll report back on what we did and the cost if anyone is curious on total for our trip. Plan on eating a lot of Pizza, and brining a bottle or two with us to cut down on the bar bill.

Regarding the MVC, I'm not sure we get Patton or Tazz if we are in the Valley.

We hit the last couple of years of STL, and was a blast.

I am sure NY is going to be more coin and not as convenient, just can't jump in the car and head home if CU stubs their toe, but excited to see MSG and NY.
xsshooter

Postby mannygakou » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Old MVC Days wrote:
mannygakou wrote:Roundtrip flight from Chicago was $120

I'll give you another $250 on a roundtrip flight from Omaha to Chicago, but that's probably on the high end.

So $370 for two people for airfare from Omaha? Okay bud.

Pretty sure you knew that I was referring to one person. And as of now, Chicago to New York (mind you, this is a reservation 6 days from now) for next week is $245. I don't think it's a stretch to strategically plan and get your tickets under $300/person Omaha.

And thanks for the passive aggressive use of "bud". Didn't realize that raining on your STL was better parade was going to hurt your feelings. Maybe you should find a safe space, snowflake!
mannygakou

Postby JaysLifer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

section202jay wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:
If you don't have the luxury of staying for free with a friend or family member, your estimate is a touch low if we're comparing to what people did in going to the MVC.

Hotel -- if you're going for the BET, let's assume you're going for the tournament -- that's 4 nights hotel (Wed thru Sat) for quite a few of the people here. $200 is a minimum per night -- and certainly doesn't amount to "luxurious" or whatever that one earlier post suggested. So that's $800.

Flight -- $800.

Taxi / Subway / etc. -- $100 -- you might be able to avoid or reduce that, but it's comparable to what you threw out.

Tickets -- again, if you're buying all session tickets, the minimum was $400 each -- for two people = $800.

That's $2500 before you eat or drink anything. And before you add any other entertainment during what is likely an unusual or only very very occasional trip to the greatest city on earth. So you likely want to add something else there.

$3000 for two people is not a lavish trip to NYC. It's a pretty reasonable and modest one for a trip from Omaha to NYC for the tournament and just a little bit of other entertainment -- and maybe actually a bit low of an estimate.

You guys are talking about St. Louis like it was free or something. Other than being able to drive instead of fly, I don't see how New York is so much more expensive than St. Louis (and I usually flew for the sake of convenience). And the tradeoff of being in real city with a bevy of entertainment options (as opposed to a boring city built around a brewery and an arch) makes the entire experience far more enjoyable.

We went to the tournament last year for the first time and I had the same worries as the other doubters here. I'd never been to New York before last year and, frankly, I never really had an interest in going. I tend to be a contrarian and I'd always instinctively poo-pooed the "greatest city on Earth" commentary as being the typical New York bluster. But I was wrong; my wife and I both immediately fell in love with the city. The energy and buzz that you feel is palpable and unless you're absolutely dead set on having a miserable time, you can't help but enjoy yourself. I've been looking forward to this year's trip almost since the day we left New York last year.

As for cost, if you plan and search well enough, you can find a good hotel room for prices that are fairly close to what you could find in St. Louis. As others have said, the happy hour prices at a lot of the bars are similar to what you'd find in St. Louis. Beyond that, people underestimate just how many free entertainment options there are in New York: countless parks, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. Hell, if you just read the fine print at most of the City museums (MoMA, the Met, Museum of Natural History), you'll find that the entry fee is "free will donation"; name your price and go see some of the most impressive museum collections in the country.

If you're knocking NYC without having been there, I'd highly recommend you give it a shot. I'd be surprised if you came back regretting it.
JaysLifer

Postby taa71458 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 pm

JaysLifer wrote:
You guys are talking about St. Louis like it was free or something.

It was for someone of us. Still is!
taa71458

Postby Old MVC Days » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

mannygakou wrote:
Old MVC Days wrote:
mannygakou wrote:Roundtrip flight from Chicago was $120

I'll give you another $250 on a roundtrip flight from Omaha to Chicago, but that's probably on the high end.

So $370 for two people for airfare from Omaha? Okay bud.

Pretty sure you knew that I was referring to one person. And as of now, Chicago to New York (mind you, this is a reservation 6 days from now) for next week is $245. I don't think it's a stretch to strategically plan and get your tickets under $300/person Omaha.

And thanks for the passive aggressive use of "bud". Didn't realize that raining on your STL was better parade was going to hurt your feelings. Maybe you should find a safe space, snowflake!

No, I didn't know. Most of the comments previous were referring to two people.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:52 pm

ShowMeJay wrote:
Jet915 wrote:If u avoid the all session tickets and just go to the Creighton games, i can probably get nosebleeds for <50 bucks a ticket...

But then you're not at a game, which means you're probably doing some entertainment, which costs money. Unless you don't have a needy wife and kids who need shit to do, then you can just veg out all day and do nothing until the Jays take the floor. Count me in as one who misses STL and won't ever consider NYC. Arch Madness was a two hour drive for us.

True, but you are in NYC, so much stuff to do, way more than Lou....
Jet915

Postby Jaybird » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Just watched some of Loyola-SIU. There were a combined 23 turnovers at halftime, in an arena you could shoot a cannon through and not worry about hitting anyone, played in front of one "fanbase" decked out in matching Gryffindor scarves, in a league that counts among its leading "corporate partners" a gas-station pizza chain. I fully understand the nostalgia, but I'll be forever thankful that we're done with the Valley.
Jaybird

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 pm

doing occasional check ins and seeing crowd shots

they could probably hold this at SLU's on campus facility - capacity 10k or so

this is bad basketball
cujaysfan

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 pm

cujaysfan wrote:doing occasional check ins and seeing crowd shots

they could probably hold this at SLU's on campus facility - capacity 10k or so

this is bad basketball
thought I was watching a DePaul game looking at all the open seats.
Waylon Van Smack

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops