2017 Off-season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017 Off-season

Postby mredle » Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
mredle wrote:With respect to the coaching staff having wished Kobe had let them know of his transfer plans earlier, if the coaches were interested in pursuing the twins from UMass would they have done the same with Kobe? They still had JP's slot to play with, who is scheduled to be signed there? Did I miss something? All Kobe's transfer did was change the open scholarships from 2 to 3. Maybe Kobe thought his playing time and post season discussions were the coaches way of letting him know their plans? Interesting.

Going from 2 to 3 is a big deal, though. If the staff is essentially holding one spot to see what Bowen is going to do, then there was really only 1 spot that they felt they had to work with. With JP gone, the focus for that 1 spot would likely have been some kind of a "big" (putting aside the inevitable debate about whether we can or should just play small, no need to put "labels" and positions on players in this system, etc. -- the biggest need was a body to play in the post somehow). If Kobe wasn't planning on coming back, that's a whole different spot open to look at and go after other guys that couldn't really be pursued before he told him.

And that whole post season discussion is a two-way street, right? Maybe the staff thought that discussion was a good opportunity for him to give some hint that was planning on leaving and maybe he didn't let them know at all.

But, yes, again, poor Kobe.

I'm not saying poor Kobe but what I am saying is we shouldn't necessarily be saying poor coaching staff either. With all due respect, your defense of the coaches doesn't make sense. Bowen still hasn't signed and before Kobe said he was transferring we were already in contact with the UMass twins. The coaches also know that while we made Tugs' final 5 (or 6) we don't know and haven't known for some time whether we are the final 1. The possibility must have been and must still be a possibility in their minds. They must be considering that contingency as well. With respect to the focus (post-JP) being on a big man, if the rumors surrounding JP, his attendance in classes, etc they would know about. If those were true the decision to go was a foregone conclusion. More importantly however, you point that Kobe plays a different position (putting aside the inevitable debate) is a good one. Kobe was a wing (2 or 3). That is currently the deepest position on the team and will be made even deeper by the addition of 2 of the 3 signed freshmen coming in.
mredle

Postby slaw » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Breaking news: Patrick Ewing has hired John Starks and Louis CK as assistant coaches

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/patric ... right-now/
slaw

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Creighton 18'
bluejayfan00

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-basketball/creighton-returnees-stepping-into-bigger-roles-late-in-season-may/article_09fed75a-9c3b-59c9-b0a6-52211587356b.html

#FreeRonnie

Still so frustrating to hear Mac act surprised by what Ronnie did when given playing time, when all of us saw it every time he got on the floor for one or two minutes and nothing more all year. Really hope Mac learned something too and won't be so darn stubborn moving forward.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Assuming we dont get Bowen, Ronnie should be starting at the 4.
Jet915

Postby drbluejay » Wed May 03, 2017 8:49 am

Jet915 wrote:Assuming we dont get Bowen, Ronnie should be starting at the 4.

I have always liked Ronnie and he has dazzled the fans with his abilities in the wide open court but the bottom line is, he lost his minutes last year vs Wisconsin when he had trouble defending the 4. It took him most of the year to get those minutes back. I have Ronnie penciled in to start at the 4 spot but if we sign a starting type center transfer, Ronnie will have to beat out 5 year man Hegner at the 4 spot. I have Hegner at the 5 spot right now. A lot can change between now the season as we have up to 3 scholarships to give out so the roster is not set yet. I look for a big year out of Ronnie and it's possible he could play some PG like last year. If I had to pick one player to play all 5 positions at CU, it would be hands down Ronnie Harrell. Ronnie is now a 3 year Jr. and that is when lots of players come out of their shell and produce big time. Go Ronnie and Go Jays.
drbluejay

Postby BostonBlueJay » Sat May 06, 2017 11:52 am

Agreed. With his ball handling skills for being as tall, he should pose a mismatch for many.
BostonBlueJay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 pm

BostonBlueJay wrote:

Agreed. With his ball handling skills for being as tall, he should pose a mismatch for many.

I'd be worried with Harrell matching up with regular sized 4's for anything more than a few minutes at a time. Huff was much stronger than him in the post and Harrell will have to get a ton stronger in order to make that work against physical guys .
Chicagojayfan

Postby mredle » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
BostonBlueJay wrote:

I'd be worried with Harrell matching up with regular sized 4's for anything more than a few minutes at a time. Huff was much stronger than him in the post and Harrell will have to get a ton stronger in order to make that work against physical guys .

There is an old coaching axiom to the effect that rather than worrying about how you match up with the opponent, make the opponent worry about matching up to you. Ronnie will blow past most 4s and unlike the vast majority of 4s, when he does, if the defense rotates with a big he will kick out, if the rotation is with most wings he can take them to the tin. He's actually a threat at 4 positions that really makes him a matchup problem for opposing coaches.
mredle

Postby go_jays » Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Harrell's biggest match up issue for the opponents' 4 will be keeping up with him running the floor... if Mac decides to continue his up tempo offense... which I assume he will.

But as always, often times you give up something to the other team in the process... like holding his own in the paint... not rebounding because he's already demonstrated the knack to get rebounds... but keeping the other 4 from pounding on him inside.
go_jays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops