JT III out

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: JT III out

Postby CU Final Four » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:25 pm

I can see Tommy Amaker but wouldn't it be great if it was Gregg Marshall?
AMDG
CU Final Four

Location: Convent Place, a subdivision as surveyed, platted and recorded in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Postby LynchMob » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Gregg would be a great choice but I'm beginning to think he's just scared to take a big job.

Regardless, Georgetown has been just above terrible for several years - unless the new hire is a disaster, at least they'll have upside and hope.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Trifecta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:51 pm

LynchMob wrote:Gregg would be a great choice but I'm beginning to think he's just scared to take a big job.

I think it is one of two things:

1. He is delusional in holding out in hope of a major job in the South (UNC or Duke). He's from that area originally. I can't see Duke ever hiring him, and I think both they and UNC could get the biggest of big names.

2. All of his baggage is keeping him from snagging a big time interview. This is ancedotal--but I hear that while he is well respected in coaching circles, he's not really well liked. I can't imagine the shenanigans from his wife again can be helping his image.
Trifecta

Postby cufan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Gregg, in my opinion, is on the short list of best coaches in the country. My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that he will stay at WSU next year because 1) His entire team is coming back and he could, again, do some serious damage and 2) see how the conference realignment plays out. I think if WSU gets into AAC he would be happy to stay at $3.5M per year and hold out for NC Duke or Kentucky one day. If he doesn't strike gold with one of those, then he is still a multi-millionaire and a legend at his current school. Not a bad life.
cufan

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Marshall isn't going to Georgetown. Georgetown has admission standards that exceed having a heartbeat and getting your student loan approved.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

not sure Gtown's admission standards apply to its hoops program

but - i think georgetown has an image of itself that is not congruent with gregg marshall
cujaysfan

Postby Realhoops » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm

cujaysfan wrote:not sure Gtown's admission standards apply to its hoops program

but - i think georgetown has an image of itself that is not congruent with gregg marshall

I would think that both of them would think themselves far too good for the other!
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Jays26 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 pm

AttyAlum wrote:Marshall isn't going to Georgetown. Georgetown has admission standards that exceed having a heartbeat and getting your student loan approved.

Can you imagine Greggggg's trailer trash wife dropping the F bomb on Jay Wright. :lol:
Jays26

Postby whiteandblue77 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Casual Hoya Has 10 Picked out:

(I personally like Frank Martin, son of Cuban immigrants growing up in Miami so he's prolly Catholic... fwiw)

Kevin Keatts - Longtime Hargrave Military head coach before studying under Rick Pitino for a few years. His teams play relentlessly and press. Prioritizes depth and conditioning. Given his roots, likely a strong recruiter once he moves up a level. Keatts took over a 9 win team and took it to 18 then to 25 with an NCAA berth.

King Rice - Former UNC point guard who had assistant stops at Oregon St, Illinois St, Providence, and Vanderbilt before taking over at Monmouth. Has built Monmouth up over time, even now in a stronger MAAC league. Team plays fast and loose. Does carry some baggage from his past.

Chris Caputo - Miami's Associate Head Coach and defensive coordinator. Has spent 15 years under Larranaga dating back to George Mason. Has recruited the DC area well. Reportedly Delaware's top choice last season but could not reach an agreement.

Jeff Capel - Duke's associate head coach. Carries real cache on recruiting trail nowadays. Started strong at VCU and Oklahoma before imploding. Perhaps has learned enough to find success at his next stop. Is he waiting out Coach K or ready to leave?

Will Wade - Only 33 years old but already at his 2nd head coaching stop at VCU. Shaka Smart coaching tree and has had success at Chattanooga and his first year at VCU.

Danny Hurley - Once a Rutgers assistant in the late 90's then onto St Benedict's and then Wagner before URI. Teams play incredibly hard. Has recruited well at URI. Edgy personality to deal with.

Archie Miller - Archie will likely have his pick of any opening, but you make the phone call. Dayton has incredible support, so getting him to leave in the first place is a challenge. Would have to really open the checkbook to even have a discussion.

Chris Collins - Long-time assistant at Duke and now head coach at an improving Northwestern. Would have to offer him a sizable contract, I'd assume.

Patrick Ewing - Best player in school history. 14 years as an NBA assistant. The Van Gundy coaching tree has had great success. Mike Malone, Thibs and Steve Clifford are well thought of, why not Patrick's turn? Also, Big John might love him more than his own sons.

Frank Martin/Mick Cronin/Et al. - Sometimes guys just want change. Only using examples here of guys who were tied to openings lately.
whiteandblue77

Postby taa71458 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Pretty sure Greggggg is holding out of the Nebraska job, guys
taa71458

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops