Toby Hegner

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Toby Hegner

Postby BostonBlueJay » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 pm

mel ott wrote:
BostonBlueJay wrote:
fritzpointer wrote:Con grats to Toby on his Graduation. Go Jays!

Hegner, Huff, Hanson and Clement all graduated this weekend (as did I)

Congrats . My last one just graduated from grad school this semester. Seriously, a significant achievement! Best of luck to all.

Thanks! At congrats to yours as well!
BostonBlueJay

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm

What are the chances that Toby is in a grad school program that will pay his tuition? I know Geoff did this a couple of years ago with his MBA and there are other programs in the college that have donors pay tuition (Magis teaching program comes to mind).

Only asking since that would free up another scholarship, give us the ability to ink the NOLA duo and still have an open scholarship for Tugs or Waters in the upcoming weeks.
Eye of the Jay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:What are the chances that Toby is in a grad school program that will pay his tuition? I know Geoff did this a couple of years ago with his MBA and there are other programs in the college that have donors pay tuition (Magis teaching program comes to mind).

Only asking since that would free up another scholarship, give us the ability to ink the NOLA duo and still have an open scholarship for Tugs or Waters in the upcoming weeks.

I had been wondering the same.
Creighton 18'
bluejayfan00

Postby T-bone » Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:What are the chances that Toby is in a grad school program that will pay his tuition? I know Geoff did this a couple of years ago with his MBA and there are other programs in the college that have donors pay tuition (Magis teaching program comes to mind).

I had been wondering the same.

Zero
T-bone

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:10 am

Article ranking the BE's top 50 players (10 teams' starting fives, not the benches) has some interesting stuff on Toby.
He hasn't been productive offensively so far, but it might explain his value when he isn't scoring:
https://painttouches.com/2017/11/04/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-30-21-2/
This past season may have had his lowest stat totals, but it was by far his most efficient. His 3P% of 44.4% was one of the best in the conference and his eFG% of 59.7% is top 10 on this list. The most surprising aspect of Hegner’s game last season was his defense. I had to run the numbers twice to be sure but Hegner’s points per possession allowed was an elite .705. In the 149 times when a possession ended with his defensive assignment, Hegner only allowed 105 points. Those numbers put him in the 89th percentile in the country and tied for top of this list (with Butler’s Sean McDermott). Hegner does a solid jump challenging jumpshooters and is excellent at shutting down pick and roll plays.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am

Article states " 5 best players, not necessarily starters"... in part 1 author stated they didn't know much about CU's vets, so they would use the incoming frosh.

Thus far Mitch, Jacob, & Toby. Waiting for Khyri & Marcus.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby drbluejay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:09 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Article states " 5 best players, not necessarily starters"... in part 1 author stated they didn't know much about CU's vets, so they would use the incoming frosh.

Thus far Mitch, Jacob, & Toby. Waiting for Khyri & Marcus.

At this point, I would have to put Ronnie in our top 5 and leave Jacob out.
drbluejay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:23 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Article ranking the BE's top 50 players (10 teams' starting fives, not the benches) has some interesting stuff on Toby.
He hasn't been productive offensively so far, but it might explain his value when he isn't scoring:
https://painttouches.com/2017/11/04/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-30-21-2/
This past season may have had his lowest stat totals, but it was by far his most efficient. His 3P% of 44.4% was one of the best in the conference and his eFG% of 59.7% is top 10 on this list. The most surprising aspect of Hegner’s game last season was his defense. I had to run the numbers twice to be sure but Hegner’s points per possession allowed was an elite .705. In the 149 times when a possession ended with his defensive assignment, Hegner only allowed 105 points. Those numbers put him in the 89th percentile in the country and tied for top of this list (with Butler’s Sean McDermott). Hegner does a solid jump challenging jumpshooters and is excellent at shutting down pick and roll plays.

Nice find, Wizard. I would also add that Hegner is very flexible defensively. He hedges well, and is nimble enough to match up with guys out outside the paint, but can also play post players. If we get good O from him, the combination of him and Martin on the front line can be quite good, IMO
Chicagojayfan

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 am

Toby had a nice game against Yale while only 1-4 on 3s. His communication on defense is noticeable during the game, seems to get after the other big if they're out of position or something. I think he'll be considered a strength this year if his ankle holds up.

Did Toby have sort of a dunk last night? Or did I dream that?
Wizard of Westroads

Postby wildjays » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Toby had a nice game against Yale while only 1-4 on 3s. His communication on defense is noticeable during the game, seems to get after the other big if they're out of position or something. I think he'll be considered a strength this year if his ankle holds up.

Did Toby have sort of a dunk last night? Or did I dream that?

No it was real. I was impressed how it seems Toby has developed more of a post-up game. In his career his game has evolved and if he can take on people in the post on offense with that great hook he displayed last night he will have an extra dynamic to his game inside/out. Between him and Ronnie it will pull more defenses out.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops