Toby Hegner

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Toby Hegner

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm

wildjays wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:Toby had a nice game against Yale while only 1-4 on 3s. His communication on defense is noticeable during the game, seems to get after the other big if they're out of position or something. I think he'll be considered a strength this year if his ankle holds up.

Did Toby have sort of a dunk last night? Or did I dream that?

No it was real. I was impressed how it seems Toby has developed more of a post-up game. In his career his game has evolved and if he can take on people in the post on offense with that great hook he displayed last night he will have an extra dynamic to his game inside/out. Between him and Ronnie it will pull more defenses out.

It's nice that all of our bigs can step out on the floor and hit shots. I hope we can use that and just find the guy with the mismatch ;)

That little hook is something we saw a few times a couple of years ago, but I think it can be a nice move if we keep going to him, especially when they put a little guy on him to try to stop his outside shooting
Chicagojayfan

Postby cu8493 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 am

I know its early, but dang we need Toby to get it going from outside. He has clearly worked hard on his interior defense and post moves, but we still need him to knock down those wide-open threes. Seems like he started kind of slow last year also, but wound up at 44% on the year and just under 46% in conference, so I am confident he will get there. Hopefully, he breaks out at NW.
cu8493

Postby section202jay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 am

I'm not worried about his shot. It's always been wildly inconsistent. He drills them in big games. Last year's W at Xavier comes to mind.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby xsshooter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

Anyone have an update on his new ankle injury?
xsshooter

Postby KenoshaJay » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 pm

xsshooter wrote:Anyone have an update on his new ankle injury?

Minimum would be the xray result. I was wrong when I wrote that it is not too easy to diagnose a high ankle sprain so soon after an injury - I was corrected by someone w/ a boatload more experience than I with orthopedic injuries. Would imagine that Toby had a MRI. Fingers crossed that he is feeling much better, but if a high ankle sprain with his previous injuries - he easily could be out 8 wks.
KenoshaJay

Postby Polyfro » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Coach Mac told the media at today's press conference that there's no fracture, just a severe sprain. Given the fears that it was a fracture -- which is what the initial fear was and may well have ended his career (hence the emotional hug between Toby and Coach Mac that BTN's cameras caught on Wednesday) -- this is tremendous news.

They expect him back in 3-5 weeks, so even on the long end of that timeframe he'll be back by the start of Big East play. Hopefully the rehab goes well.

#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby slaw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Does J-Epp forgo the redshirt?
slaw

Postby jfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 pm

That is great news for Toby and for the Jays!
jfan

Postby JD4JAYS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm

slaw wrote:Does J-Epp forgo the redshirt?

Doubtful, unless we have another big go down and are forced due to lack of depth. Other than the KC tournament and Gonzaga we’ve got a bunch of Cupcake U’s coming up before Big East play starts. Fingers crossed of course.....
JD4JAYS

Postby section221jay » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 pm

slaw wrote:Does J-Epp forgo the redshirt?

Depends...is he going to explode on the scene next year and declare for the draft? :)
section221jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops