CU's old gym

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

CU's old gym

Postby blueblood » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:44 am

Saw a picture of walls being framed in old gym at Creighton. Right on basketball court. What are they building in there?
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”
blueblood

Re: CU's old gym

Postby Polyfro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

I haven't heard what they're building, either. Here's a pic the Jays Facilities team tweeted out this morning:

#GoJays
Polyfro

Postby Realhoops » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am

Is that a new wall? Or is that the old wall that was between the two sides, now removed or being redone somehow?
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby oakath » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

That looks like the old wall that divided the two courts. Though I only had a few chances, I loved playing in that gym.
oakath

Postby Realhoops » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

oakath wrote:That looks like the old wall that divided the two courts. Though I only had a few chances, I loved playing in that gym.

That's what I thought - like the wall is coming down or being redone?
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby jfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Hard to believe that this was once the home of Creighton BB. We've come a long way!
jfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 pm

...also once was the "home" of the Computer Center, ROTC, Public Safety, among other departments. In the 70's the U held Registration on the basketball court level. Fr Lee Lubbers once had a small studio in the Burt St level-or that may have been beneath Bro J's facilities office. Lots of university history in the old gym.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:31 pm

jfan wrote:Hard to believe that this was once the home of Creighton BB. We've come a long way!

This is where Bluejay Basketball started...it is the hallmark of Creighton Sports, the university's growth, and (should be) is a cherished icon. The triad (Admin, St John's Church, and the Old Gym - along with the Jesuit Gardens and Observatory) are Creighton history and IMO "untouchable". They are landmarks and reside far above any new construction. They should be exempt from new fangled notions of renovation or destruction, unlike Creighton Stadium which fell to make way for the Rigge parking lot (ands a couple of bldgs) or Beal's Grill (parking lot).

In some ways yes, we have come a long way, but in other ways it was only yesterday. Hoops is 100 yrs old, Let us hope that current day modernism and revisionism doesn't destroy ALL of our links to our past. We don't want to relive it, but we all fare better when we are able to reach back and "touch the stones", revisit and recharge our batteries at significant places along our journey. Creighton, for us, is such a recharging station - our Jordan River - as we owe much of our character, successes, and principles to the learning we gained on the Hilltop.

Luv ya Creighton University...but let's keep our perspective, good judgement, and common sense (which i'm told isn't so common).
gtmo
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby TBC Alum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm

I've been told that at least part of the area is for Pharmacy and Allied Health skills practice areas FWIW
TBC Alum

Return to Men's Hoops