3%

Total votes : 31

17/18 Combo Guard

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Who Starts?
hilltopalum

Re: 17/18 Combo Guard

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Cannot imagine this is actually a serious question, unless we end up going with a four or five guard lineup. Is there any reason to think that it is not an absolute one thousand percent guarantee that Marcus Foster starts?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question/poll.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby drbluejay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:37 pm

If you mean shooting guard or off guard or even #2 position, I vote Foster.
If you mean combo guard, such as a player who can play both PG and SG, then I vote Mintz.
Actually there is no such position as combo guard.
drbluejay

Postby cujaysfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:06 pm

call me crazy - but maybe we oughta wait until the final scholarships and the roster is set before we try to depth chart engineer next year's team...
cujaysfan

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 pm

fair. Was really interested to see who people thought should start at 4 and 5 with what is on roster at this moment. Figured, to be complete, all the positions should be accounted for.
hilltopalum

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 pm

hilltopalum wrote:fair. Was really interested to see who people thought should start at 4 and 5 with what is on roster at this moment. Figured, to be complete, all the positions should be accounted for.

That makes sense. The post spots - if we have them - are really a huge question mark to me right now.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Personally I feel Harrell and Hegner can do a job for us at the 4 & 5 respectively. There is not much depth behind them but the cupboard is not empty. Granted we need to all pray Hegner recovers better than Huff did. There is still room for a grad transfer, who will look at the situation and see a great opportunity to win, play in a great league and play in front of some great crowds.

Granted Hegner and Harrell are not the best front court in the Big East but they certainly aren't the worst either.

Butler - Weidman & Fowler
DePaul - McCallum & Hanel
G'Town - Agau & Govan
Marquette - Hauser & Heldt
Providence - Holt & Watson
Hall - Sanogo & Delgado
St Johns - Yawke & Owens
Nova - Bridges & Spellman
Xavier - Gates & O'Mara

A Hegner/Patton front court is probably a top 3 in this mix. Not sure where Harrell & Hegner fit in.
hilltopalum

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

hilltopalum wrote:Personally I feel Harrell and Hegner can do a job for us at the 4 & 5 respectively. There is not much depth behind them but the cupboard is not empty. Granted we need to all pray Hegner recovers better than Huff did. There is still room for a grad transfer, who will look at the situation and see a great opportunity to win, play in a great league and play in front of some great crowds.

Granted Hegner and Harrell are not the best front court in the Big East but they certainly aren't the worst either.

G'Town - Agau & Govan
Hall - Sanogo & Delgado
St Johns - Yawke & Owens
Xavier - Gates & O'Mara

A Hegner/Patton front court is probably a top 3 in this mix. Not sure where Harrell & Hegner fit in.

If its Harrell/Hegner, I would say better than Depaul and St. John's and thats it.
Jet915

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:07 pm

hilltopalum wrote:Personally I feel Harrell and Hegner can do a job for us at the 4 & 5 respectively. There is not much depth behind them but the cupboard is not empty. Granted we need to all pray Hegner recovers better than Huff did. There is still room for a grad transfer, who will look at the situation and see a great opportunity to win, play in a great league and play in front of some great crowds.

G'Town - Agau & Govan
Hall - Sanogo & Delgado
St Johns - Yawke & Owens
Xavier - Gates & O'Mara

Well said. I think we will see a 3 man rotation of Hegner, Harrell and Martin (and someone else?) at the 5 and 4.

Some thoughts on Hegner (assuming he's back and healthy):

1. He'll be more effective offensively against opposing 5's they'll have a harder time guarding him on the 3 PT line and he'll be better at getting to the basket as he showed a bit this season.

2. Defensively, he doesn't block shots like Patton (most don't), but he was very effective on the block most of the time and could play without fouling against other post players. In some cases, Mac played him against the better post player (like with Delgado) and let Patton play on the weak side. Additionally, there just aren't that many big centers left in the NCAA.

3. He's probably our best help defender from the box. He was great at doubling across the lane and on helping hedge on screens to prevent penetration

4. His stats line up OK despite not taking many shots - 12 pts per 40 (he pretty much was never a guy we looked to get shots for, so this could go up), 8 rebounds, and with Martin also playing a similar style and stretching to the 3 pt line, we could have a nice platoon.
-- Martin per 40 - 18.6 points/40 and 14.7 rebounds per 40, and 2.3 blocks per 40 (I STILL think Martin could be a surprise next year)

I don't think we can replace what we EXPECTED to get from Patton next year, but we can be pretty good compared to what we did get from Patton this year. Worried more about the 4 if we have to move Hegner to 5 most of the time and then are left with no depth at the 4, either.

I think we need to run the O to keep our 5's out on the 3 PT line and open things up offensively. Like you said, we have to hope Hegner comes back at 100%.
Chicagojayfan

Postby xsshooter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 am

with Patton not returning does Eppersen redshirt?

team may need him sooner than later since we are thin at the 5.

Ronnie/Toby/Martin at the 4 should work, with Toby and Martin helping out at the 5.

Would be nice to get a big guy transfer to fill Justin's scholarship
xsshooter

Next

Return to Men's Hoops