Kaleb Joseph

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby section202jay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 pm

The lack of understanding on the situation surrounding Joseph is so perplexing. It’s almost as if you can’t even ask about it. There will come a time where not developing Joseph into the rotation will hurt us.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby Altman's Advisor » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 am

section202jay wrote:The lack of understanding on the situation surrounding Joseph is so perplexing. It’s almost as if you can’t even ask about it. There will come a time where not developing Joseph into the rotation will hurt us.

Good God. He’s the 3rd string PG. Can everyone read that? He got hurt early in camp, Ty-Shon stepped up and hasn’t backed off the gas pedal. This isn’t AAU, folks. Creighton’s coaching staff is trying to win basketball games, not make sure everyone gets a fair and square 15 minutes of playing time every game.

Davion goes for 17 and 6 with no turnovers and people want his backup’s backup to get more run.

Fucking Rothstein with his lazy, bullshit hyperbole in the offseason. He pushed a narrative that Joseph was the breakout player of this league waiting to happen without ever attending a single practice, workout, or game.
Altman's Advisor

Postby Bluejays4ever » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Agree with AA on this one.
Bluejays4ever

Postby Eye of the Jay » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 pm

I don’t think it’s so much Rothsteins article as it is his play while he’s on the floor. I think he gives us a pretty good chance to win and isn’t hurried/timid under pressure. Tyshon has looked tense these last couple of games when teams pressure him. I’ll get you anything Cooley, Wright, Mack and others will pick up on this and throw a 1-3-1, full court press or extended zone.

I would say keep Kaleb as a secret weapon for back half of conference play and postseason. I would like to see him slide into backup PG duty and Ballock And Tyshon back up Khyri and Marcus respectively. You can also throw Ballock at the 4 and with Ronnie have one of the most talented benches in the BE.

If the freshmen break out of their funk then by all means give them more minutes but don’t want them learning by playing through fire like the St John’s game. Sure we won so it looked like Coach Mac knew what he was doing but an out of position PG who turns the ball over under pressure is not ideal for BE play and the postseason when you have zones and press from smart coaches.
Eye of the Jay

Postby ictjay » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Agree. We have a good rotation. Don’t need our scorers to hit 20 for us to win. Mintz got thrown in last year unfairly and some on this board won’t acknowledge/ or can see his talent.
We will need all able bodies as the season progresses. Been fortunate with the injury bug.
ictjay

Postby LJay » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 pm

I’ve never been super comfortable with an 8 man rotation. That can lead to tired legs in March. 9 or 10 rotation would be nice each year. I don’t see that happening this year unless Joseph somehow finds a role.
75 - 65
LJay

Postby AttyAlum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Eye of the Jay wrote:I don’t think it’s so much Rothsteins article as it is his play while he’s on the floor. I think he gives us a pretty good chance to win and isn’t hurried/timid under pressure. Tyshon has looked tense these last couple of games when teams pressure him. I’ll get you anything Cooley, Wright, Mack and others will pick up on this and throw a 1-3-1, full court press or extended zone.

Probably not a very fair comparison. Tyshon is facing uber pressure from opponents and playing when the game is on the line. Kaleb gets to play when the team has a big lead and opponents are largely mailing it in or have cleared their benches. Scurry has played really well in similar situations, but I don't think that means he's pushing for more minutes.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 am

AttyAlum wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:I don’t think it’s so much Rothsteins article as it is his play while he’s on the floor. I think he gives us a pretty good chance to win and isn’t hurried/timid under pressure. Tyshon has looked tense these last couple of games when teams pressure him. I’ll get you anything Cooley, Wright, Mack and others will pick up on this and throw a 1-3-1, full court press or extended zone.

Probably not a very fair comparison. Tyshon is facing uber pressure from opponents and playing when the game is on the line. Kaleb gets to play when the team has a big lead and opponents are largely mailing it in or have cleared their benches. Scurry has played really well in similar situations, but I don't think that means he's pushing for more minutes.

True, but I think Alexander brings on uber pressure situations because of what he's laid on film as a struggle. To Macs credit, he's letting him work through it and not wanting the opposing coaches to dictate CUs personnel. He's a confident shooter and when Mac wants him in the game, he wants him in the game.
Waylon Van Smack

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 am

section202jay wrote:The lack of understanding on the situation surrounding Joseph is so perplexing. It’s almost as if you can’t even ask about it. There will come a time where not developing Joseph into the rotation will hurt us.

We're third in the country in ppg, third in assists per game, and third in assists/TOs.

We should change the structure of practices, already limited by quick turnarounds in conference play, to give more time to the third PG? And Ty-Shon should get more minutes with the scout squad in practice, because somebody has to fill the void if Kaleb's running with the rotation players? And we should cut the minutes of Foster, Thomas, Ballock and Mintz, as well to boost Kaleb's minutes? Those are the questions asked by those of us with lack of understanding.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby cu8493 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 am

My position is you play to win the game in front of you, not the one in March (until its March). Otherwise you lose a couple of games you shouldn't have and then that game in March doesn't really matter. I had no problem riding Mo last year, cause you can't coach thinking what if X gets a season ending injury. Frankly, we were f'd last year when Mo went down even had DM been playing 10 minutes every game to that point. There is just no way you replace a guy like Mo. He was truly a game changing player. Personally, I'd like to see KJ playing, because I think he is our best ball handling point guard, and I think he will be our point guard next year. But, I don't see practice every day and therefore do not question Mac's personnel decisions. I hope he keeps being a quality team guy as the season plays out. Having said that, I find it somewhat amusing that people who screamed last year that Mac f'd our season by not getting DM "ready" by playing him pre Mo-injury last season to get him experience now arguing against Mac getting KJ into the rotation here and there during other than mop up time to get him some experience playing with the top rotations in case someone gets hurt and we need him later in the season.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops