Kaleb Joseph

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 am

I want to see Kaleb play more - but only if it’s because whatever has him not playing gets remedied. If it’s a practice, health, understanding issue - hope it clears up. But not just for the sake of everyone getting minutes and risking disrupting what’s working now.

Kaleb reminds me a bit of Ronnie last year. Every single time he gets in the floor he looks great and has an impact. He’s shown he can shoot, drive, dish, finish at the basket, etc. He looks like a true PG, and you know from his play at Syracuse he’s capable, etc.
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

 

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:I want to see Kaleb play more - but only if it’s because whatever has him not playing gets remedied. If it’s a practice, health, understanding issue - hope it clears up. But not just for the sake of everyone getting minutes and risking disrupting what’s working now.

Kaleb reminds me a bit of Ronnie last year. Every single time he gets in the floor he looks great and has an impact. He’s shown he can shoot, drive, dish, finish at the basket, etc. He looks like a true PG, and you know from his play at Syracuse he’s capable, etc.


Agree, outside of the Syracuse play. He's not there because he didn't play very well for them.

If it makes sense, he'll get more play. I think as others have noted, we need to get more rest for Foster and Kyri as they are pushing 35 minutes a game so far in conference play. Alexander could take some of those minutes and potentially open up time for Joseph, but it should only happen if Joseph is earning the time in practice and outside of the mop up time he's been getting.

All of that said, if Mintz plays like he did the last game, the job will stay with him. He had an incredible game, and even at his best, I don't think Joseph is that good of a shooter.
Chicagojayfan
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby section202jay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am

Altman's Advisor wrote:
section202jay wrote:The lack of understanding on the situation surrounding Joseph is so perplexing. It’s almost as if you can’t even ask about it. There will come a time where not developing Joseph into the rotation will hurt us.

Good God. He’s the 3rd string PG. Can everyone read that? He got hurt early in camp, Ty-Shon stepped up and hasn’t backed off the gas pedal. This isn’t AAU, folks. Creighton’s coaching staff is trying to win basketball games, not make sure everyone gets a fair and square 15 minutes of playing time every game.

Davion goes for 17 and 6 with no turnovers and people want his backup’s backup to get more run.

Fucking Rothstein with his lazy, bullshit hyperbole in the offseason. He pushed a narrative that Joseph was the breakout player of this league waiting to happen without ever attending a single practice, workout, or game.


Okay, keep ignoring the poor offense in crunch time of close games. Everyone comfortable with Alexander's play down the stretch of StJ's? Two turnovers and missed FT at front end of a 1-and-1 in a matter of two minutes. We are quite lucky that didn't bite us. There's a reason why the second half of the Big East schedule we are usually a .500 team.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
User avatar
section202jay
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: Bellevue, Neb.

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby LynchMob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 am

section202jay wrote:Okay, keep ignoring the poor offense in crunch time of close games. Everyone comfortable with Alexander's play down the stretch of StJ's? Two turnovers and missed FT at front end of a 1-and-1 in a matter of two minutes. We are quite lucky that didn't bite us. There's a reason why the second half of the Big East schedule we are usually a .500 team.


That's why we need Alexander playing now. He's a freshman, he has never been in that situation before. How's he going to get better on the bench?

Joseph should get more chances to play for the same reason, but it definitely doesn't follow that he should move from 'barely able to get on the floor' to 'has the team on his back in crunch time.'
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby mredle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 am

With respect to Kaleb Joseph's minutes, assuming his current lack of playing time is not a reflection of injury or failure to meet his responsibilities to the team or classwork or ability, it makes sense to consider reducing the overall minutes played by Marcus and Khyri. It is a long season and their bodies need time to recover adequately in order to avoid injury and perform optimally, including . That may result in Mitch's time staying about the same, Tyshon's decreasing with him spending more time at the 2 and 3. If Davion continues to grow at PG his time may increase some but there may be more minutes available for KJ. Managing minutes doesn't mean throwing away games. Coaches, including Mac, manage minutes all the time. For example, the positions with the least depth on our team are the 4 and 5. We essentially have a 3 player rotation currently at those positions (Martin, Toby and Ronnie). Occasionally Manny and Mitch get some minutes as well. Yet none of the 3 regulars are seeing more than 25 minutes on the floor in conference play, Martin (24), Ronnie (24), Toby (18). If you want to watch a master at managing minutes (and winning games in the course of doing so), watch Jay Wright and Villanova. Last year in Omaha he put on a clinic on managing minutes, with a short bench, going down the stretch.
mredle
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Panhandle Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

Teams without a PG don't seem to last very long in the NCAAT. Hopefully last game against Georgetown was a sign of things to come for Mintz. We need someone to take over that role. Alexander is a really good passer, but he doesn't dribble all that well.

I'm also not familiar with his role on his HS team, but wasn't Alexander more of a 2-guard? For instance, next season would we have him take over Marcus Foster's position?
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
User avatar
Panhandle Jay
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: Sidney

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Altman's Advisor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 pm

section202jay wrote:
Altman's Advisor wrote:
section202jay wrote:The lack of understanding on the situation surrounding Joseph is so perplexing. It’s almost as if you can’t even ask about it. There will come a time where not developing Joseph into the rotation will hurt us.

Good God. He’s the 3rd string PG. Can everyone read that? He got hurt early in camp, Ty-Shon stepped up and hasn’t backed off the gas pedal. This isn’t AAU, folks. Creighton’s coaching staff is trying to win basketball games, not make sure everyone gets a fair and square 15 minutes of playing time every game.

Davion goes for 17 and 6 with no turnovers and people want his backup’s backup to get more run.

Fucking Rothstein with his lazy, bullshit hyperbole in the offseason. He pushed a narrative that Joseph was the breakout player of this league waiting to happen without ever attending a single practice, workout, or game.


Okay, keep ignoring the poor offense in crunch time of close games. Everyone comfortable with Alexander's play down the stretch of StJ's? Two turnovers and missed FT at front end of a 1-and-1 in a matter of two minutes. We are quite lucky that didn't bite us. There's a reason why the second half of the Big East schedule we are usually a .500 team.

How did the offense look in crunch time against UCLA, Nebraska, and Northwestern?

The thing is you keep pointing to Davion and Ty-Shon, and the mistakes they have made, but you haven’t explained why Kaleb should be taking their minutes. And the reason you haven’t done that is because you only see this team for 40 minutes at a time every 3-4 days.

Let’s breakdown the sample size of playing time we have on Kaleb Joseph this season. He’s played 56 minutes. So the equivalent of one triple overtime game.

vs. Yale: 4 minutes, Creighton’s smallest lead with him on the floor was 19.
vs. Alcorn State: 11 minutes, smallest lead with him on the floor was 12.
vs. SIU Edwardsville: 11 minutes, smallest lead with him on the floor was 6.
vs. Maryland Eastern Shore: 8 minutes, smallest lead with him on the floor was 37.
vs. USC Upstate: 17 minutes, smallest lead with him on the floor was 28.
at Georgetown: 5 minutes, smallest lead with him on the floor was 24.

So, which Big East game, or games, on the schedule are you cool with the Jays potentially losing just so you, as a fan, can get a better grasp on the point guard pecking order that the coaches have been monitoring since the beginning of June?
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby section202jay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm

I don't think giving Joseph some extra look in games would put us in jeopardy any more than when Alexander is at point. This is assuming Joseph is completely healthy, which I don't know because I don't see a clear answer on that, going back to my original post on this.
Twitter @PRspcDerek
User avatar
section202jay
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: Bellevue, Neb.

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Eye of the Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Same could be said about Davion or Ronnie last year. They didn’t play much and we had a tested veteran in Isaiah that was given a chunk of the PG minutes without Mo initially.

People aren’t necessarily pushing for throwing Kaleb in there with the game on the line right now but you would like him to get in meaningful minutes against BE competition to see if he can handle PG duties in pressure situations.

Mac didn’t do that last year with Davion or Ronnie and because of it we were scrambling and experimenting in the BE and NCAA tournies. Would rather have that experimentation happen in the first half at home in January against Butler.
User avatar
Eye of the Jay
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:50 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby BluffsBluejayGal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Some people's blind love for Mac and the coaching staff baffles me. :lol:

Nobody is advocating putting Joseph in immediately as starting PG and giving him end of game minutes, but we can work up to that point.

I feel like we have a good weapon in Joseph and we aren't using him because mac doesn't "trust him." He'll play Clement at starting point guard before Kaleb probably.
User avatar
BluffsBluejayGal
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests