Kaleb Joseph

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Altman's Advisor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm

mredle wrote:With respect to Kaleb Joseph's minutes, assuming his current lack of playing time is not a reflection of injury or failure to meet his responsibilities to the team or classwork or ability, it makes sense to consider reducing the overall minutes played by Marcus and Khyri. It is a long season and their bodies need time to recover adequately in order to avoid injury and perform optimally.

Marcus and Khyri are barely in the top 25 in the Big East alone in terms of percentage of minutes played. Marcus is 19th and Khyri is 23rd.

mredle wrote:If you want to watch a master at managing minutes (and winning games in the course of doing so), watch Jay Wright and Villanova. Last year in Omaha he put on a clinic on managing minutes, with a short bench, going down the stretch.

Villanova has six guys in the top 35 in percentage of minutes played in the Big East. Creighton only has two — fewest in the entire league.
Altman's Advisor
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

 

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby AttyAlum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

The problem is that both of our PGs are inconsistent. Yes, Mintz just had a great game. Of course, it was also probably his best game. It was also against probably the worst or next to worst team in the entire league. He has also looked awful at times. He lost his starting position one time because of some sort of disciplinary issue. Believing he will play as well the rest of the year as he did against a bad Georgetown is pretty foolish.

Alexander has been up and down as well. He's had some incredible games and he's had some bad mistakes. He's also a freshman and will naturally have up and down moments. He's way ahead of where almost any of us expected him to be at this point too.

The inconsistent nature of the above two makes it even harder to get Joseph meaningful minutes. What we are left with is a situation where we end up riding the hotter of the two players game by game, making us even more reliant upon KT and MF. The time to develop a player is in the non-con. Joseph was injured most of the non-con. Maybe you can find him some first half minutes, but it is awful hard to rely on someone who has not yet played meaningful minutes in a close game.

Finally, citing Joseph's great play at Syracuse is imagining something that didn't exist. He transferred out because he had fallen to third string there.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
User avatar
AttyAlum
 
Posts: 4077
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm

we have 2 natural PGs on the roster Joseph and Tyler - and we've been around the block plenty with TC

DM and TSA are certainly talented - and have playmaking ability - but aren't pure PG - and probably the reason for the inconsistency cited above along with their youth

does this offense have yet another gear w KJ? Can he help improve half court sets and offense against a zone? fair questions.

i'd love to find out the answers with the caveat that he's earned some PT during practice and is healthy enough.

i've been impressed with his intelligence and thoughtfulness in answering questions during interviews. he seems like a great kid - and he's pretty darn athletic...
User avatar
cujaysfan
 
Posts: 5041
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby mredle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Davion is playing the position Creighton recruited him to play.
mredle
 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby NUgradCUfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Altman's Advisor wrote:
mredle wrote:With respect to Kaleb Joseph's minutes, assuming his current lack of playing time is not a reflection of injury or failure to meet his responsibilities to the team or classwork or ability, it makes sense to consider reducing the overall minutes played by Marcus and Khyri. It is a long season and their bodies need time to recover adequately in order to avoid injury and perform optimally.

Marcus and Khyri are barely in the top 25 in the Big East alone in terms of percentage of minutes played. Marcus is 19th and Khyri is 23rd.

mredle wrote:If you want to watch a master at managing minutes (and winning games in the course of doing so), watch Jay Wright and Villanova. Last year in Omaha he put on a clinic on managing minutes, with a short bench, going down the stretch.

Villanova has six guys in the top 35 in percentage of minutes played in the Big East. Creighton only has two — fewest in the entire league.


Facts??? On a message board?!? I'll let it slide this time, but don't let it happen again
User avatar
NUgradCUfan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Altman's Advisor wrote:
mredle wrote:With respect to Kaleb Joseph's minutes, assuming his current lack of playing time is not a reflection of injury or failure to meet his responsibilities to the team or classwork or ability, it makes sense to consider reducing the overall minutes played by Marcus and Khyri. It is a long season and their bodies need time to recover adequately in order to avoid injury and perform optimally.

Marcus and Khyri are barely in the top 25 in the Big East alone in terms of percentage of minutes played. Marcus is 19th and Khyri is 23rd.

mredle wrote:If you want to watch a master at managing minutes (and winning games in the course of doing so), watch Jay Wright and Villanova. Last year in Omaha he put on a clinic on managing minutes, with a short bench, going down the stretch.

Villanova has six guys in the top 35 in percentage of minutes played in the Big East. Creighton only has two — fewest in the entire league.


Creighton Possessions per game this year: 76.4 (rank 33rd), last year 74
Villanova: 73.4 (rank 138) , last year 67

there is a pretty big difference in pace from last year's teams and I suspect it will revert more to last years for Nova as the season goes on and they hit the wall. I think Nova would try to lower some of those numbers if they could as they don't want to get to tourney time on dead legs. That said, if they become a bit more deliberate (like last year), it won't hurt them as much.
Chicagojayfan
 
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby drbluejay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I like what I see from Joseph. It doesn't matter if it is against 1st teamers or subs at garbage time. He can be dribbling by himself and I can just see and feel it. Joseph just has that thing about him that spells, I am the man to run this show.
I'm predicting by season's end, Joseph is the starting PG and the sooner the better. This job is his to be won but he has to earn it. I do not at this point see Davion or Alexander as PG's. I think Alexander will become a very good SG down the road with Davion backing him up. Could Clement by season's end become the backup to Joseph? It is possible.
drbluejay
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:19 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby JD4JAYS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 pm

drbluejay wrote:I like what I see from Joseph. It doesn't matter if it is against 1st teamers or subs at garbage time. He can be dribbling by himself and I can just see and feel it. Joseph just has that thing about him that spells, I am the man to run this show.
I'm predicting by season's end, Joseph is the starting PG and the sooner the better. This job is his to be won but he has to earn it. I do not at this point see Davion or Alexander as PG's. I think Alexander will become a very good SG down the road with Davion backing him up. Could Clement by season's end become the backup to Joseph? It is possible.


No, just....no. Davion is and will be our starting PG all year.
JD4JAYS
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby NUgradCUfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 am

JD4JAYS wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I like what I see from Joseph. It doesn't matter if it is against 1st teamers or subs at garbage time. He can be dribbling by himself and I can just see and feel it. Joseph just has that thing about him that spells, I am the man to run this show.
I'm predicting by season's end, Joseph is the starting PG and the sooner the better. This job is his to be won but he has to earn it. I do not at this point see Davion or Alexander as PG's. I think Alexander will become a very good SG down the road with Davion backing him up. Could Clement by season's end become the backup to Joseph? It is possible.


No, just....no. Davion is and will be our starting PG all year.


Well Davion isn't giving us anything against good teams (he threw it over the damn backboard on a layup) so if Kaleb is giving us a better option play him. It's not that hard...which is what's so frustrating
User avatar
NUgradCUfan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Kaleb Joseph

Postby JD4JAYS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am

NUgradCUfan wrote:
JD4JAYS wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I like what I see from Joseph. It doesn't matter if it is against 1st teamers or subs at garbage time. He can be dribbling by himself and I can just see and feel it. Joseph just has that thing about him that spells, I am the man to run this show.
I'm predicting by season's end, Joseph is the starting PG and the sooner the better. This job is his to be won but he has to earn it. I do not at this point see Davion or Alexander as PG's. I think Alexander will become a very good SG down the road with Davion backing him up. Could Clement by season's end become the backup to Joseph? It is possible.


No, just....no. Davion is and will be our starting PG all year.


Well Davion isn't giving us anything against good teams (he threw it over the damn backboard on a layup) so if Kaleb is giving us a better option play him. It's not that hard...which is what's so frustrating


Coach Mac is running a style this year that is very less reliant on a true traditional pass first PG. He’s comfortable with a number of guys bringing the ball up the floor or leading the fast break. That’s why DM and TSA have had so much success. KJ, and even TC for that matter, are more the pass first style PG which IMO would mean a fundamental shift in the way we’ve been playing all year; and would diminish our scoring punch on the floor. Coach Mac makes his rotations pretty early and sticks with them. Thus, Davion will be our starting PG for the rest of the year.

Look, I get frustrated and curse Davion’s name just as much as anyone during a game but at this point in the season benching him would affect us greatly. We have to keep in mind DM and TSA are young; true sophomore and true freshman. They’re continuing to grow and develop. Let’s not stunt that growth by acting like we’ve given up on them.
JD4JAYS
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests