2017-2018 Season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017-2018 Season

Postby Realhoops » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:I was more talking to the development of big men and how ours seem to get better while theirs usually transfer....

That’s true - but you also said most people would have taken Jordy over Martin a year ago. That’s just not true.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Realhoops wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I was more talking to the development of big men and how ours seem to get better while theirs usually transfer....

That’s true - but you also said most people would have taken Jordy over Martin a year ago. That’s just not true.

I didn't say that, Dirk said that! I pulled that from his articlea
Jet915

Postby Realhoops » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Realhoops wrote:

I didn't say that, Dirk said that! I pulled that from his articlea

Ah. Before your edit I didn’t see that you meant to quote him, and I didn’t read his piece. Makes more sense — like I suggested, “local observers” means OWH hacks.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Eye of the Jay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Either way I think Martin has developed into the third best center behind Delgado and Govan in this league
Eye of the Jay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am

Eye of the Jay wrote:Either way I think Martin has developed into the third best center behind Delgado and Govan in this league

Probably true, but I don't know that Govan is that good, and Martin is a hybrid 4/5 right now. His defense in the post still needs work. Thankfully we have Hegner and can swap the two on each end of the court.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am

Mac does such a good job of developing big men, and Merf has a track record of that as well. Every year we all get worried about our big men, and every year we end up having a very good rotation there.

Pretty much every big we've had recently has improved their footwork and positioning on D, and developed post skills to go with any shooting skills they've had. Look at the way Hegner plays D in the post. He's technically very, very good.
Chicagojayfan

Postby drbluejay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 am

Krampelj and Mintz have shot the most FT's on the team so far.
Krampelj and Mintz are the 2 lowest by % of FT's made at only 62% and 69%
The next lowest % on the team is at 72% and this is counting the entire bench.
Since both Krampelj and Mintz are good shooters and get fouled the most, there is no reason for them to be the bottom 2 for %.
Please work on those FT's more.
Go Jays, beat SH
drbluejay

Postby go_jays » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:Either way I think Martin has developed into the third best center behind Delgado and Govan in this league

Probably true, but I don't know that Govan is that good, and Martin is a hybrid 4/5 right now. His defense in the post still needs work. Thankfully we have Hegner and can swap the two on each end of the court.

I don't know if you could say we are the epitome of "position-less basketball" but we're damn close. On defense, we simply match up with whoever makes the most sense to match up against. E.G, when we played Butler, Hegner matched up against 6-2 guard Thompson. Why? Because he was the least of the threats against us from the perimeter. So he sagged off him and plugged up the paint... while other, more capable perimeter players matched up against their best offensive perimeter players.

It worked tremendously in the first half, because Thompson was obviously baffled at that type of tactic... and it was really a stroke of genius, IMO. Of course, in the second half, Butler adjusted and Thompson started driving AT Hegner, who really struggles in that scenario because he likes to take charges in the paint, but can't against quicker, more agile players like Thompson. And he's not a great shot-blocker. But it really was a great example of position-less basketball.
go_jays

Postby SDJay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am

And sometimes come back after a few days... ;) !
" That rug really tied the room together, did it not?"
SDJay

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Not going to be in time for this season's Bluejay games but according to the World Herald:

Arena visitors also soon will walk through metal detectors to get to concerts and games.

MECA voted today to spend $250,000 to buy 50 walk-through metal detectors in an effort to further improve security and the efficiency of getting people through it. Currently, security personnel check people with metal detector wands.

The detectors should be in place in time for the NCAA men's basketball regionals at the arena in March.

This should help speed up the process entering the arena.
skinzfan23

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops