2017-2018 Season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017-2018 Season

Postby section202jay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:53 am

5 Group One wins? That seems quite overexaggerated. That would be up there with a 1-3 seed.

Assuming we want something like a 6 seed, we probably only need two more. So against Nova, X, @Butler or @Marquette (then still a chance in the BET).
Twitter @PRspcDerek
section202jay

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

5 tier 1 wins might be considered a stretch, but four wouldn't be: a 2-2 split in those 4 listed would get us three, and a fourth would come in the 3-6 or 4-5 matchup in the first round of the BE tourney.

In fact, I can see us getting to 5.

Really that's what we need to root for if we are still thinking seriously about the Sweet 16. Ideally we need a 5 seed or better.
HandDownManDown

Postby robry » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 am

This all sounds great. I am just not convinced we are playing that well since Martin was injured. If Hegner gets into any foul trouble or our PG play is iffy as it has been half the season we are in trouble.
robry

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am

robry wrote:This all sounds great. I am just not convinced we are playing that well since Martin was injured. If Hegner gets into any foul trouble or our PG play is iffy as it has been half the season we are in trouble.

Yeah, I don't think we've played very well since Martin got hurt but we've won the games we are suppose to win atleast. Hopefully Epperson gives us some of what we miss from Martin.
Jet915

Postby ictjay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:46 am

robry wrote:This all sounds great. I am just not convinced we are playing that well since Martin was injured. If Hegner gets into any foul trouble or our PG play is iffy as it has been half the season we are in trouble.

St Johns and Georgetown both played very well against us. More them playing well than us not.
ictjay

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Jet915 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think we've played very well since Martin got hurt but we've won the games we are suppose to win atleast. Hopefully Epperson gives us some of what we miss from Martin.

Hope you continue to be correct Jet. Thursdays game vs Nova is one we're s'posed to win. Undefeated vs Nova at the Wells Fargo Ctr (1-0, Wragge). Let's keep the streak alive. RollJays.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
gtmoBlue

Postby mredle » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Certainly Martin's injury is a loss and I believe our level of play has been diminished, but I don't believe that it is largely attributable to the loss of MK. I feel this way because Toby has really stepped up his game offensively which has helped greatly. Instead, I think the downward trend has more to do with diminished quality of play by Tyshon and Mitch. Not unusual for true freshmen at this point in the season. The good news is that they start to come out of it and rally for the rest of the season. I see signs that this may be happening for them now. I also think it will help that we have entered a point in the season where we have more opportunities for them to rest. If people want an example of this from the past you need go no further than Khyri's freshman year.
mredle

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Agree that improvement from the 3 freshmen is key to the rest of the season. I also haven't given up on the idea that Kaleb and Manny will have a meaningful contribution at some point. (Not starting, not rotational, just that there will be a game where they're needed and they deliver.)

We're going to have a lot more time practicing vs. game time in the next couple of weeks. Somebody out of those 5 is going to see it pay off.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby JayPak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:Really that's what we need to root for if we are still thinking seriously about the Sweet 16. Ideally we need a 5 seed or better.

Or, for once, winning a first round game as any seed and benefitting from an upset opposite us.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Not writing off this season by any means, but I can't wait to see how are interior play is next season with 2 capable big men in Krumpelj and Epperson. I can't remember when the last time was that Creighton had that luxury. They both are able to go up and get the ball as well as run well down the court.
skinzfan23

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops