2017-2018 Season

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017-2018 Season

Postby cu8493 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 pm

We probably won't have Martin in top shape until about BE play. I'd be surprised if he is cleared to go full by the time practice starts in the fall. I know there has been a push to get ACL tears going closer to 6 months than 1 year, but I think more and more evidence is showing that getting these guys back to making hard cuts and stops before the traditional 9 months or so results in a higher chance of re-tear (least that is what I have been told by my daughter's ortho). All cases are different, and even if he seems to be good and building leg strength, the new ACL tissue doesn't necessarily regenerate to full strength any quicker. A reinjury because he comes back to quickly could well end his career. I am sure the docs will do what is best. Just saying that might mean we don't see him really getting going until a month or so into the season.
cu8493

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Hopefully Martin returns. He's going to be a 24 year old junior IIRC. At some point he may just want to go start making some dough.

But if we have JE and MK down low - and Khyri plus (insert MB/TSA here) - and DM/MZ at point.

it change how teams are going to be forced to defend us once again - and there won't be many who can matchup with our posts without cheating somewhere else.

That will be fun - but still lotta ball to go yet this year - so don't wanna get too far ahead.
cujaysfan

Postby Eye of the Jay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Not sure how you go from 4th to 1st in RPI in a day but not complaining

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi

Also Jays up to 3 Group 1 wins thanks to Providence coming into the top 30. Having 6 of 10 teams in the top 30 of RPI is pretty impressive.
Eye of the Jay

Postby JayPak » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 am

Lose by 20, +5 in RPI. Love the Big East!
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby DC_JAY » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 am

Look at the members of the Big East that left the conference for greener pastures:

Louisville (16-7) Likely to make the tournament
Pitt (8-16) Will not make the tournament
Syracuse (15-8) Unlikely to make the tournament
Notre Dame (13-10) Will not make the tournament
UConn (11-12) Will not make the tournament
Cincinnati (21-2) Will make the tournament
Rutgers (12-13) Will not make the tournament
S Florida (3-15) Will not make the tournament

It's pretty incredible to look at. Of all the conference realignments in the past 10 years, a strong case can be made for the Big East making the single best decision in selecting three teams that were a good fit and with huge upside. The fact that the Big East's resurgence has happened while Marquette and Georgetown are down is all the more incredible.
DC_JAY

Postby JaysWinJaysWin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 am

We could be in for a big run. Win at DePaul. We can beat Xavier at home. The gimme game and Marquette at home. Have a real chance at four in a row. Good chance after that too. At Butler and home Villanova tough. But we seem to match up well against Butler and if we beat Villanova anywhere it will be in Omaha. Then at Marquette and home DePaul. Know Marquette caused problems last year but they are struggling. I say we win 6 or more out of 8.
JaysWinJaysWin

Postby drbluejay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 am

Creighton will be the underdog in 4? of the last 7 conf. games.
Xavier, at Butler, Nova, and possibly at Marq.
Favored in the other 3 games.
at Depaul, Marq, and Depaul.
drbluejay

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am

drbluejay wrote:Creighton will be the underdog in 4? of the last 7 conf. games.

We need 3 wins to get in (not counting Bemidgi)....
Jet915

Postby cujaysfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:32 am

DC_JAY wrote:Look at the members of the Big East that left the conference for greener pastures:

Louisville (16-7) Likely to make the tournament
Pitt (8-16) Will not make the tournament
Syracuse (15-8) Unlikely to make the tournament
Notre Dame (13-10) Will not make the tournament
UConn (11-12) Will not make the tournament
Cincinnati (21-2) Will make the tournament
Rutgers (12-13) Will not make the tournament
S Florida (3-15) Will not make the tournament

It's pretty incredible to look at. Of all the conference realignments in the past 10 years, a strong case can be made for the Big East making the single best decision in selecting three teams that were a good fit and with huge upside. The fact that the Big East's resurgence has happened while Marquette and Georgetown are down is all the more incredible.

not sure if it's fair to look at all of these in a vacuum buuuuut

rutgers and s florida pretty much suck - they never make the tourney

ND got hit by the injury bug probably harder than anyone in CBB this year - Colson was having a POY caliber year before he went down and their PG and second best player missed a whole bunch of games too - anyone would be hosed if that happened to them - it's possible the committee would take into consideration those situations if colson comes back and they look ok for the last few games - they'll be fine going forward

pitt - good lord are they dumb - they're Iowa who thought they were tired of tom davis - dixon is now at TCU having a solid year - and former IL St coach kevin stallings probably gonna get canned

syracuse and UL are the most interesting - what are they going to do replacing their HOF coaches? hard not to think they'll take a step back from where they were

UConn - anyone still want to add them to the BE? they've been hit hardest by not being in the BE - and now the NCAA is knocking again.

cincy seems to have continued on about the same trajectory
Last edited by cujaysfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cujaysfan

Postby Eye of the Jay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am

drbluejay wrote:Creighton will be the underdog in 4? of the last 7 conf. games.

According to KenPom were only an underdog vs. Nova and at Butler. Think by the time at Marquette rolls around we might be there too. Xavier most likely a tossup.

I think every Jays fan should be hoping for 6-2 stretch to finish out split Nova/X and @Butler/@Marq. We need a win over the big 2 and a quality road win. If we can do that and get a win in the BET we should be in line for a 5/6 and maybe even a 4.

5-3 down the stretch and we’ll be safe ho-hum 7/8/9 seed and traveling to a site 10 mins from the 1 or 2 seeds campus.

If we go 4-4 or worse (counting Bemidji St here) were probably on the bubble and need 1 win in NYC to get in.

The good news: 3 of those games are vs Depaul And bemidji St, but we cannot overlook Depaul as either of those would be horrific losses.

Bottom line- go 6-2 down the stretch and set ourselves up for a good BE and NCAA tourney run :)
Eye of the Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops