Ballock

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Ballock

Postby hilltopalum » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Matt, Corey and Ravi talking on radio about Jays and summer league and Matt saying Ballock could be an option at PG. I've always thought Ballock's game eventually translates to a primary ball-handler, but could he become an end of game player as a true freshman with this back-court?
hilltopalum

Re: Ballock

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm

From what I've seen from Ballock in summer league, he definitely has a point guards feel. His game is so smooth, and he may be as good of a passer as he is a shooter. As a true freshmen, he's going to get minutes. But, to be a primary ball handler alongside Foster and Thomas will depend on how Davion has developed and how Kaleb fits in. Regardless, I like the depth we have at guard/wing this year. I don't think there's another guard or wing duo in the country I'd take over Marcus and Khyri, and having Davion with a year under his belt, Kaleb working hard during his redshirt year, and having two true freshmen guards who seem to be as college ball ready as any freshmen we've had in awhile.
Creighton 18'
bluejayfan00

Postby ictjay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm

hilltopalum wrote:Matt, Corey and Ravi talking on radio about Jays and summer league and Matt saying Ballock could be an option at PG. I've always thought Ballock's game eventually translates to a primary ball-handler, but could he become an end of game player as a true freshman with this back-court?

Saw him in HS and I thought, "Healthy Grant Gibbs". Credit Gibbs with a assist with recruiting. Mitch worked Gibbs camp while in HS.
ictjay

Postby Rasputin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 pm

ictjay wrote:
hilltopalum wrote:Matt, Corey and Ravi talking on radio about Jays and summer league and Matt saying Ballock could be an option at PG. I've always thought Ballock's game eventually translates to a primary ball-handler, but could he become an end of game player as a true freshman with this back-court?

Saw him in HS and I thought, "Healthy Grant Gibbs". Credit Gibbs with a assist with recruiting. Mitch worked Gibbs camp while in HS.

Heck, I would take "old man" GG on the roster any day, let alone a healthy one. I think Mitch is a far better shooter than Grant ever was, but if he even has half the court IQ, passing skill and overall moxy he had, I think we'll be in for a real treat over the next 4 years.
Rasputin

Postby Eye of the Jay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Looking at Mintz's game from last season, I could definitely see him sliding into the backup 2 spot. His 3 point stroke was pretty nice last year, and there wouldn't be as much pressure for him to push the offense. Having Mitch as the backup PG would work too. I think whoever does the best job setting up Marcus and Khyri deserves to get the spot. Either way, we need to make sure that we're going 6 deep in the 1-3 positions and that everyone there (Marcus, Khyri, TyShon, Davion, Kaleb and Mitchell) are getting healthy minutes 15+ in the nonconference. Our backcourt is our strength and we have to make sure everyone is rested and ready to dominate for BE and tournament play.

One thing is for sure: Mac must find a better plan than what transpired at PG in the Spring (and that includes solidifying a backup plan).
Eye of the Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 pm

we've got a bunch of guys that look like playmakers: KT, Marcus, Ronnie, Ballock, TyShon - and possibly two PG in Mintz and KJ

Mac just has to figure out who is going to play what role.
cujaysfan

Postby Alphawalt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 pm

No doubt we have a great deep backcourt. I think we should play a 2 PG, 2 SG offense at times. On defense, we will have to play a ball hawking zone defense. The problem we have is not much depth in the front court. We will need to out score other teams this year more than ever. It would be nice for both Foster and Khyri to be close to (or over) 20 PPG.
Alphawalt

Postby drbluejay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 am

Eye of the Jay wrote:Looking at Mintz's game from last season, I could definitely see him sliding into the backup 2 spot. His 3 point stroke was pretty nice last year, and there wouldn't be as much pressure for him to push the offense. Having Mitch as the backup PG would work too. I think whoever does the best job setting up Marcus and Khyri deserves to get the spot. Either way, we need to make sure that we're going 6 deep in the 1-3 positions and that everyone there (Marcus, Khyri, TyShon, Davion, Kaleb and Mitchell) are getting healthy minutes 15+ in the nonconference. Our backcourt is our strength and we have to make sure everyone is rested and ready to dominate for BE and tournament play.

One thing is for sure: Mac must find a better plan than what transpired at PG in the Spring (and that includes solidifying a backup plan).

Mac had a great plan last year. His plan was for Mo to lead us to the sweet sixteen or maybe even the final 4. The plan was working perfectly until Mo got hurt. Unless plan A doesn't work for some reason, plan B sits on the back burner.
drbluejay

Postby Jays26 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 am

drbluejay wrote:
Eye of the Jay wrote:Looking at Mintz's game from last season, I could definitely see him sliding into the backup 2 spot. His 3 point stroke was pretty nice last year, and there wouldn't be as much pressure for him to push the offense. Having Mitch as the backup PG would work too. I think whoever does the best job setting up Marcus and Khyri deserves to get the spot. Either way, we need to make sure that we're going 6 deep in the 1-3 positions and that everyone there (Marcus, Khyri, TyShon, Davion, Kaleb and Mitchell) are getting healthy minutes 15+ in the nonconference. Our backcourt is our strength and we have to make sure everyone is rested and ready to dominate for BE and tournament play.

Mac had a great plan last year. His plan was for Mo to lead us to the sweet sixteen or maybe even the final 4. The plan was working perfectly until Mo got hurt. Unless plan A doesn't work for some reason, plan B sits on the back burner.

Not true. Mac's plan was to hope like hell Mo didn't get hurt. When he did he had no plan.
Jays26

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

Jays26 wrote:
drbluejay wrote:

Not true. Mac's plan was to hope like hell Mo didn't get hurt. When he did he had no plan.

So you would have given more minutes to Mintz early? And if we'd lost a game or two early, then you would have said, "That's OK because we're building depth at PG"? That's a commendable attitude.
Wizard of Westroads

Next

Return to Men's Hoops