OPEN HOUSE

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

OPEN HOUSE

Postby fritzpointer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 pm

What would it take to bring this event back. I know I loved it . Hope it makes a return soon. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Re: OPEN HOUSE

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:33 am

I loved it too, as did my kids. I wrote CU athletics last year and they said they would forward the letter on and keep it in consideration.

I just thought this was a good time for the fan base to get up close and personal to the players. It is also a great chance to preview some of the new faces to the team. The kids love it since they can get autographs.
skinzfan23

Postby wildjays » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am

For a conference that doesn't have football, a madness event, open house, open practice, whatever is a must for every program in the conference, especially for all the backers of the main program for the athletic department.

Is it inconvenient? Sure it is, with basically sports seasons overlapping at this time of year. I always thought tying in an event with a volleyball games as a part of it is a great idea and a lot less of a setup since you can combine a couple of events into one. With the success of VB, it is also a great opportunity to showcase them as well as have a full house (which is what they are getting these days anyway) for the event.

Yes I'm disappointed there isn't more of an effort to put something together for the fans. They deserve it when they put Creighton hoops in the top 5-10 in attendance every season now. The fans are being taken for granted.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 am

Yet, I'm still so terribly excited to see what great new timeout promotions they have in store for the fans this season. My favorite part is to (not) hear 15 corporate sponsors rattled off over the speakers as the team is coming out of a timeout. The excitement is titillating.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Polyfro » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 am

I basically agree with you, Wildjays. A full-blown madness event, with live music/entertainment, is probably never going to happen at CU for a variety of reasons. They got 75% of the way there for the first few years of Mac's tenure, but after the initial popularity it died off. The half-assed events in 2014 and 2015 didn't help; they waited until like two weeks beforehand to announce them, and wound up with a short event that consisted of a scrimmage and a shooting contest. None of the dance offs, the dunk contests judged by ex-CU greats, the skills competitions pairing up mens and womens players, or the light show/smoke machine entrance introductions of years past. No wonder the crowd in 2015 was small and low-energy -- so was the event!

With that being the case, I'd be all for the return of the open practice/open house event. I enjoyed those during the DA era. Having one practice at DJ Sokol instead of the Championship Center and opening it up to the public seems like a no-brainer. Practices are basically open to anyone as it is, so why not have one where a few hundred die hards and families with kids can come watch?
#GoJays
Polyfro

Return to Men's Hoops