Marcus Foster

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Marcus Foster

Postby Oldfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 am

My main concern for next year is finding someone to replace his scoring and shot creating ability. I don’t see anyone on our roster who has similar skill to create their own shot. Maybe Mitch?
Oldfan

Postby drbluejay » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:Found this on Twitter and thought everyone would enjoy https://twitter.com/cbb_highlights/stat ... 4281222144

I think some of us take Marcus for granted. I don’t think we realize how much we’ll miss him next year. Just in that video alone you see how special of a shot maker he is. We don’t have a guy on our roster who can take and make those shots. To be fair, there’s not a lot of guys anywhere that can. He’s also improved his defense a ton, he’s improved his shot selection; it’s night and day, as he’s become a better distributor, and he’s been a good leader on the floor. Hoping we can ride him the rest of the way and make a run in March to send him out right

I agree
Last edited by drbluejay on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drbluejay

Postby LynchMob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Marcus takes all the garbage shots at the end of possessions when we can't get anything going. The remarkable thing is that he makes half of them.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby JayPak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 am

Gonna be hard to “ride him the rest of the way” if he doesn’t get a shot attempt for an 8-minute stretch of a game where his teammates can’t make a shot.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby CPJays » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 am

Foster shooting over 50% from the field and nearly 44% from 3 with the difficulty of shots he takes and volume is wildly impressive.
CPJays

Postby Jet915 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:06 am

Dude has been a scoring stud for us this year.
Jet915

Postby whiteandblue77 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

flat out filthy
whiteandblue77

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:10 am

NM, meant to post in St. John's game thread. Nice game by Marcus, by the way.
cu8493

Postby RVB » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Marcus named BIG EAST Player of the Week

http://gocreighton.com/news/2018/1/29/m ... -week.aspx
RVB

Postby whiteandblue77 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Great story by Jay Nyajaywa
Marcus Foster gave himself a six-month deadline.

May through October.

Six months to shed the bad habits and doubts that could rob him of the future he dreamed about since he first picked up a basketball. Six months to tirelessly prepare himself for one final opportunity to prove what he’s capable of. Six months to balance his ambitious psyche, embracing his responsibility to teammates while remaining conscious of the possibilities that await beyond his Creighton career.

“It was just a different grind,” Foster said.

The results of the transformative offseason have been evident.

Foster’s numbers are up significantly. Points, rebounds, assists and steals — all up. Turnovers are down. His field-goal percentage has skyrocketed — he was a career 43.1 percent shooter his first three seasons, but he’s now knocking down 50.7 percent.

Foster’s made 44.1 percent of his 3-pointers. He was at 34.1 percent last year.

CU coaches say he is a better defender, more committed to playing with effort and focus. Everyone around the program has noticed a new brand of leadership from Foster.

He hasn’t lost the levity. He will still boisterously scream or poke fun just to get a laugh and stay after practice to trash-talk his way through a shooting battle, and he’s the one who has busted out an arms-to-the-side, straight-legged pregame dance just before huddling for one final pep talk.

But there is a determination that’s surfaced since the summer.

A new responsibility, maybe. Or perhaps a realization that this is it.

“You think about these seniors,” Foster said, referencing 2016-17 stars like Villanova’s Josh Hart and Kansas’ Frank Mason, and reflecting on a player like former Utah guard Delon Wright, whom Foster met and admired while working alongside him at skills camp a few years back.

“Their teammates look at them because they’re seniors. They come in, and they work hard every day. And they get it done for their team.”

As soon as last season ended with a first-round NCAA tournament loss in March, Foster was already envisioning himself in that same role.

But he also knew he had to work for it. He only had six months.

No luxuries, no problem
The gym inside the Milestone Youth Center on 12th Street in downtown Kansas City is not the place to comfortably fire up jumpers.

Especially not if you’re there with Marcus Walker. It’s the court of choice for the one-time standout who set the K.C. metro’s prep scoring record before playing at Nebraska and Colorado State. The 31-year-old trains all his athletes there.

“It’s old, it’s grimy. The wood’s not new. You’ve got paint chips coming off the wall,” Walker said.

No extra room along the sideline. Old-school rims. The sweat sometimes starts beading on your brow before the workout begins.

Said Walker: “It’s one of those gyms that you walk in and you know you’re about to get some work in because you ain’t got the luxuries.”

It was the perfect setting for Foster.

A major aspect of Foster’s offseason plan was centered on improving his ball-handling. He knew it before NBA scouts’ feedback last spring. So he reached out to Walker, whose outgoing personality and desire to draw out potential instantly paired well with Foster’s vision.

“He drew a different element out of me that I don’t think anybody else could have,” Foster said.

Right from the start. Walker said his first-day tradition has been to suit up alongside his new proteges, running through drills as if he were the one being instructed. And Walker rarely stops yapping.

“He had that same approach as me: ‘I’m going to dominate you,’ ” Foster said. “Even though he was my trainer, he was trying to beat me in every drill. And he was talking trash, just how I do in practice. ... He pushed me so hard.”

The bond grew quickly after that first session in May. Workouts would last an hour, maybe two. At first, they went five days a week. Then six.

Soon they weren’t talking just about crossovers, jab steps, in-out maneuvers and hesitation dribbles — they were sculpting a new worldview for Foster.

Their conversations shifted to Foster’s girlfriend, his soon-to-be-born daughter Jazmine — who is 4 months old now — his parents, his siblings, his teammates, his experiences, his hopes, his goals. It’s not about the naysayers, Walker said. Foster writes his own destiny.

“I’d tell him all the time, you only get one life to live the life you want. You’ve only got one opportunity to make this happen the way you want it to go,” Walker said. “Every day, every minute, every rep — we’re going to use that. And we’re not going to take anything for granted.”

Foster’s been applying those words lately.

That’s evident by the way he holds teammates accountable during game prep, offering tips or admonishing bad mistakes. And it shows up during games. He is constantly engaged, able to sense when his team needs a boost, and typically able to deliver a key play.

There was that one night at Seton Hall, when Foster injured his knee. He was lying on the court in pain and had to be helped to the bench. But by the time he made it to the locker room, he was telling the team trainer that he’d be re-entering the game no matter what.

A few minutes later, he was showing his explosive first step and that 38-inch vertical, bolting through the lane for a dunk.

“Marcus is playing with a lot of confidence,” coach Greg McDermott said. “He’s playing with a lot of swagger. He’s playing with a lot of intelligence. He’s just playing at a really high level.”

What he’s worked for

On a balmy summer morning in August, Foster wiggled into a sweatshirt and pulled the hood over his head. He laced up his sneakers and trotted outside. Time for a run.

He never overdid it — 1 or 2 miles a day. But that became his routine before preseason ball began.

College players often use the first few weeks of October practice to work their way into game shape. Not Foster. He was going to be ready day one.

No more fast food. Lots and lots of stretching. Visits to the training room became more frequent.

“I told Coach Mac, I’m going to get in shape this summer,” Foster said. “I’m going to be in the best shape of my life so I can play big minutes.”

That wasn’t all the two talked about.

McDermott showed Foster clips of poor shot selection and bad decision-making from a junior season in which he was a unanimous first-team All-Big East pick and finalist for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year award.

A great year, but there’s another level to reach, McDermott told him.

Foster bought in. Maybe even more than McDermott predicted.

“Marcus has improved really in every facet of the game,” McDermott said. “You don’t sometimes see a jump like that this late in someone’s career. I’m extremely proud of him.”

More NBA scouts are taking note, McDermott said.

Foster’s current run of five straight 20-point games helped his stock, too — particularly since he’s put up those numbers against league foes crafting game plans specifically to neutralize his scoring.

He’s on pace to become the third player in CU history to record back-to-back 600-point seasons. According to research by Creighton sports information director Rob Anderson, Foster’s one of four major-conference players since the 1992-93 season to shoot 49 percent or better while also attempting 6.5 3-pointers per game.

He’ll have a shot at Big East player of the year. He’s one of 25 midseason finalists for the Wooden Award.

The credit goes to him. Foster spent six months working for this.

“It’s definitely what I wanted,” he said
whiteandblue77

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops