2017-18 Games worthy of note

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: 2017-18 Games worthy of note

Postby Eye of the Jay » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Ohio St destroying MSU 65-43 in the second half. Good news for BE as Butler will be helped by that quality W and Nova should go back to #1 in the country.
Eye of the Jay

Postby AttyAlum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:04 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Has anyone noticed who is leading the Missouri Valley conference? My favorite Valley team, THE Drake Bulldogs are 4-0! Go Bullpups!

The same Drake team that lost to UNO? Man, the MVC must be horrible.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby ZMagic30 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm

AttyAlum wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:Has anyone noticed who is leading the Missouri Valley conference? My favorite Valley team, THE Drake Bulldogs are 4-0! Go Bullpups!

It's a graveyard.
ZMagic30

Postby wildjays » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm

ZMagic30 wrote:
AttyAlum wrote:

It's a graveyard.

I tried to watch Missouri St vs UNI the other night and it was so hard to watch. The big difference between P6 basketball and the rest is that the P6 teams hit way more wide open shots than the rest. There were so many open shots that I expected to go down and didn't watching that game, that was probably the biggest difference between watching that and the Jays now in the Big East on a consistency basis.
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby Panhandle Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm

We are definitely spoiled by the Big East. Hard to believe where we were 10 years ago compared to now. It doesn’t feel like all that long ago that a trip to Illinois State was a very difficult task. Now we will play at a top 10 team this weekend and we probably have a 50:50 shot at winning there. Pretty crazy.

I do still enjoy watching midmajor basketball like the Mvc but there are differences all over the board; big men and their athletic ability as well as guard height. I watched some of the Drake v Indiana State game and the Sycamore big men were each about 40 pounds overweight and couldn’t score outside of three feet.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 20
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby cujaysfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm

not sure if it's 'of note' - but Iowa is 0-5 in big ten play (and 9-9) overall

have to believe that there is some heat on fran's backside at this point

i actually thought he was a good hire (despite his being kinda nuts) when it happened

and - more importantly - Iowa was one of the programs it seemed we were always under their shadow

but - it's pretty easy to argue that we've eclipsed them - and that our results the last 20 years have outstripped the hawks (post tom davis)
cujaysfan

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 am

I look at Iowa's stats and records all the time and I would agree. CU has eclipsed Iowa by a wide margin. I wish that the two would get to play annually or at least once every few years. The last time we did play them in Des Moines in Nov 2011, Creighton easily won and was up by nearly 30 at one point in the game. I have quite a few good friends who are big Hawk fans and that win was memorable. Now lots of them are calling for Fran's head.

When you look at where Iowa basketball is, you see that they recruit a ton of height, which does have its advantage, but I think everyone knows that today's college game is dominated by guard play. If they would recruit a great point guard, I think they would be in much better situtation.

Actually, right now all 3 of the big Iowa schools (UNI, ISU and UI) are winless in conference play for so far this season.
skinzfan23

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

Fran is an interesting case study. I think he did a good job building the program back up from the mess he inherited. At the same time, it appears as though he has plateaued. I would also posit that the state of Iowa hasn't been producing the same level of talent in recent years as it produced previously. The current Iowans on Iowa are pretty average players and perhaps not power conference material. We used to be loaded with Iowa kids but for at least the second year in a row, we don't even have an Iowa kid on our roster.

As to scheduling, it is pretty funny. When the Gavitt games started, I figured we'd see games against our neighbors like Iowa and Minnesota. For whatever reason, that hasn't been the case. Its kind of a shame because there are so many Iowa fans in Omaha and a lot of Creighton fans on that side of the river. We also recruit the state of Iowa pretty heavily for undergrad enrollment.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Syajeulb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 pm

This St. John’s- G-town game is perhaps the worst basketball I can remember watching.
Syajeulb

Postby Syajeulb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

It’s an absolute clown fiesta.
Syajeulb

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops