Baylor game thread

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Re: Baylor game thread

Postby Easypaddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 am

taa71458 wrote:Another harsh reminder of how let it fly can’t make it through the first weekend

Good post bud.
Easypaddy

Postby KenoshaJay » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am

FreddyMac wrote:One final thing, I was also curious about Joseph. Thought he might have given us something different since he played against a zone in practice for a couple of years. Plus from the little I've seen of him it seems he has kind of a slashing style where he could have dribbled through some of those seams in the zone. Oh well, hopefully there's a spot for him down the road. Seems like he's worked hard only for a late injury to rob him of needed practice at a crucial time.

Listened to the post-game press conference after the UCLA game, Mac and MF had glowing praise for the scout team during practices - preparing the players for their next opponent. Isn't KF participating with the scout team? Hope that we see a lot of him during the lesser teams in our schedule.
KenoshaJay

Postby KenoshaJay » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Nope. Back to full practice. Just buried on the depth chart now.

I about lost my mind in the second half when Mac sent Clement to the scorers table to check in. Thankfully there was not a quick enough dead ball and he reconsidered, but what he expected Clement to do against Baylor was beyond me.

We actually handled the zone well. Just, as someone above said, a “cataclysmic” bad shooting night. Our lack of size inside really hurts on shooting nights like that. Other teams can counter a night like that by pounding inside, but we can’t.

The amount of crap that Clement gets on this board is amazing. A big part of why we lost was due to Mintz's awful game -- 0/4, 0/2, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and nothing else in 15 minutes. I'd take whatever Clement gave us over that. Only a matter of time before Alexander takes over the entire job, IMO

Mac trusts Mintz more on the defensive end than Alexander and Clement?
KenoshaJay

Postby LynchMob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:I about lost my mind in the second half when Mac sent Clement to the scorers table to check in. Thankfully there was not a quick enough dead ball and he reconsidered, but what he expected Clement to do against Baylor was beyond me.

Zones don't get beat by being athletic or having a better handle, they get beat by smart, quick passes that get the ball into the paint. Mac said a week ago that Clement is the best PG we have against a zone.

I don't know if Clement would have made a difference but it's not like our offense could have gotten much worse with him out there. He's at least smart enough to try to work the ball into the high post and not throw a swing pass into a doubled corner, which most of our guys seemed to struggle with last night.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby Jaybird » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 pm

KenoshaJay wrote: Mac trusts Mintz more on the defensive end than Alexander and Clement?

I watched a replay of the 2nd half. I was curious to see when things started to go south. We were up 40-28, about 3 min into the half, when McClure drained a very long-distance triple to make it 40-31, which signaled that everything was about to change. It didn't look to me like we were in a zone (possible, I guess) and McClure appeared to be Davion's man. He was barely in the same area code with the kid when the shot started to go up, and then closed on him very, very late. He was either overhelping to the other side or just, well, fell asleep.

I'm sure not trying to bag on Davion (he'd just gotten a picture-book dime on a pass to Martin). Somebody somewhere on the court probably makes a mistake on almost every play. It happens, and it sure wasn't Mintz's fault, or any one guy, that we lost. But that turned out to be a very bad time to maybe miss an assignment.
Jaybird

Postby LJay » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Best defensive effort of the year in total. Very encouraged. Worst half of shooting I can ever remember. That isn’t likely to happen again.

This can be a great season.
75 - 65
LJay

Postby fritzpointer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 pm

I agree completely with L__Jay what a tough team effort . Love how hard they play. Go Jays!!
fritzpointer

Postby HandDownManDown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Khyri was a man amongst boys out there. He swallowed Lecompte like a python eats his prey. There was no way out for that kid.
HandDownManDown

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

We got gassed, and ran out of energy at the end. Harrel is usually a monster on the boards but shot very tentatively. If he can hit those 5 footers we are golden. Wish we rotated more in to give people a spell, but hell I am very happy we beat UCLA. This team has potential, zone defense always gives me concern, and moving forward I think we go 10-2 before conference play. Ill take that and if these freshman keep improving we may be dangerous come March...
PhoenixBluejay

Postby Jet915 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 pm

PhoenixBluejay wrote:We got gassed, and ran out of energy at the end. Harrel is usually a monster on the boards but shot very tentatively. If he can hit those 5 footers we are golden. Wish we rotated more in to give people a spell, but hell I am very happy we beat UCLA. This team has potential, zone defense always gives me concern, and moving forward I think we go 10-2 before conference play. Ill take that and if these freshman keep improving we may be dangerous come March...

I'll definitely take 10-2. Always worried about Nebraska (I know they suck but u never know) and UTA is legit (lost to Alabama by 1 yesterday).
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops