Freshmen

Talk about YOUR Creighton Bluejays!

Return to Men's Hoops

Freshmen

Postby jayball » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

Hard to imagine a better start for Tyshon and Mitch. Can anyone remember two freshmen coming in with this level of poise so early. (Sears and Walker obviously) but it is remarkable to watch these two rise to the occasion and find ways to contribute. There hasn't been that deer in the headlights look, they are just here to play. I really enjoy their game. Both are smart and seem to make good decisions, both can score and are willing to be aggressive, and both see to embrace the team culture of winning over personal goals. Excited to watch them develop.
Last edited by jayball on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayball

Re: Freshman

Postby cu8493 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:10 am

Mitch sneaking in behind the outlet in the middle of the lane for the steal and layup after missing the three pointer is the kind of head's up play that will delight fans and confound opposing coaches and fans. What I like about both he and Tyshon, is that when they hit a couple of jumpers and are feeling it, they don't hesitate to take another. But, once either misses to end the streak, he doesn't force another jumper. He does other things for a while, but still isn't afraid to take the next great scoring opportunity. I also really, really appreciate that the upper classmen are very encouraging and not at all upset when one of these guys takes a shot. If you noticed Marcus talking to Mitchell after the game, I don't think there was one iota of jealousy over Mitchell's night. He appeared truly supportive and appreciative of Mitchell's efforts -- unlike the days when P was too pissed to celebrate with the team when Booker hit the 1.9 seconds game winner over Wichita in St. Louis instead of P getting to take the shot. (or maybe he was telling Mitchell you still can't outscore the king :lol:)
cu8493

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:34 pm

hoping that the play of Mitch and TSA will propel recruiting even higher (not too mention manny)

grad transfer? step in and get real playing time on top 25 team with the green light even from the five spot to #LetItFly - look what we're doing with a D2 guy stepping in

true frosh? #LetItF*ckingFLy! step into our system - and if you're ready - you get REAL minutes and not at the end of the season or garbage time in a blowout game. from the jump - show the CBB world what you can do - we're not afraid to play you against the best competition

all this not too mention the already well known JP story.

our recruiting story and the empirical evidence backing it up gets better and better
cujaysfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:31 pm

since mac has been here, the only two true freshmen that played established roles for us were Austin Chatman and Doug, and then way behind them in 3rd is Zach Hanson. mitch and ty-shon are clearly on another level of talent than we've previously recruited out of high school. mac couldn't have put it better last night, we targeted these guys as fits for our system and they bought in. Would have been nice for it to happen in 2015 with Matt McQuaid, or 2016 with Shamorie Ponds...but it was only a matter of time.
Jaysker12

Postby Jet915 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

cujaysfan wrote:hoping that the play of Mitch and TSA will propel recruiting even higher (not too mention manny)

grad transfer? step in and get real playing time on top 25 team with the green light even from the five spot to #LetItFly - look what we're doing with a D2 guy stepping in

true frosh? #LetItF*ckingFLy! step into our system - and if you're ready - you get REAL minutes and not at the end of the season or garbage time in a blowout game. from the jump - show the CBB world what you can do - we're not afraid to play you against the best competition

all this not too mention the already well known JP story.

our recruiting story and the empirical evidence backing it up gets better and better

Zach Harvey.
Jet915

Postby RVB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Mitch Ballock, who chose Creighton over KU, has breakout game in KC

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 00038.html
RVB

Postby Altman's Advisor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:since mac has been here, the only two true freshmen that played established roles for us were Austin Chatman and Doug, and then way behind them in 3rd is Zach Hanson. mitch and ty-shon are clearly on another level of talent than we've previously recruited out of high school. mac couldn't have put it better last night, we targeted these guys as fits for our system and they bought in. Would have been nice for it to happen in 2015 with Matt McQuaid, or 2016 with Shamorie Ponds...but it was only a matter of time.

Jahenns and Avery both played a lot more than Zach did as true freshmen.
Altman's Advisor

Postby AttyAlum » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:since mac has been here, the only two true freshmen that played established roles for us were Austin Chatman and Doug, and then way behind them in 3rd is Zach Hanson. mitch and ty-shon are clearly on another level of talent than we've previously recruited out of high school. mac couldn't have put it better last night, we targeted these guys as fits for our system and they bought in. Would have been nice for it to happen in 2015 with Matt McQuaid, or 2016 with Shamorie Ponds...but it was only a matter of time.

Khyri played plenty as a freshman.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby Bluejoe » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:00 am

Sorry to pick on this thread, but on twitter I saw every Jays fan this past week saying how much they love these Bluejay Freshman.

Do we know that the plural of freshman is freshmen. I must be the only one bothered by this.

Carry on praising these two awesome freshmen. They have been great.
Bluejoe

Postby Realhoops » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 am

Bluejoe wrote:Sorry to pick on this thread, but on twitter I saw every Jays fan this past week saying how much they love these Bluejay Freshman.

Do we know that the plural of freshman is freshmen. I must be the only one bothered by this.

Carry on praising these two awesome freshmen. They have been great.

+1
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Next

Return to Men's Hoops